Trouble TTC

Can a blood test be wrong? (Possible BFP mentioned)

Hi Girls,

Last Friday my bloodwork came back negative for pregnancy after doing my first round of Follistim & Ovidrel + TI.  Nurse said that I should expect my period in a few days.  I had some light brown/pink spotting for a couple of days with cramps, back ache and sore boobs so I figured AF was on the way.  Then nothing came of it, I never got an actual period.  Out of curiosity this morning I took a pregnancy test and it came back BFP.  I guess my question is, I didn't think bloodwork could be wrong...I triggered 12/12 so that puts my expected ovulation somewhere around 12/13-12/15.  And they did the bloodwork 12/27 with a resounding negative and told me to call them when I got AF so we could move on to full blown injections with IUI this cycle.  What do you think?  Im ready to buy every brand preg test and try them tomorrow morning haha I know i'm acting like a crazy person but I refuse to get excited because of the negative bloodwork...thoughts?????

Re: Can a blood test be wrong? (Possible BFP mentioned)

• I don't think it can be "wrong"  but that doesn't mean there isn't a mistake somewhere at the lab etc... or that you ovulated later.  I would take another test and if positive then call you RE and get your bloodwork redone.

( make sure you use a FRER test not a blue dye test)
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• I agree with @ksgmu. You could have ovulated later, so when they did the blood test your hormone levels weren't high enough to be considered pregnant.

Take another test tomorrow with FMU and if it's positive, call your RE.

DH (29) & Me (26) - Married 9/22/2012
    TTC since 9/2012
    Dx - Annovulatory; PCOS-IR

8/2013 - First consult with RE
    9/2013 - HSG, SHG both clear; SA normal
    Oct 2013 - Jan 2014 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI #1-3 = BFN's
    Feb 2014 - Femara + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFP!!!!!
    Beta #1 - 3/2/14 (15dpo) - 123
    Beta #2 - 3/4/14 (17dpo) - 378
    1st ultrasound - 3/21/14 - 1 little ninja, heartbeat - 120bpm
    Due November 7, 2014

**ALL** Welcome

• Loading the player...
  • First, what brand of HPT did you get a + on?  If it was a wondfo, I would google the lot # to see if it might be a faulty test.  Like you I would probably be buying a bunch of HPTs to test again with.

That being said, if you triggered on 12/12, you should have ovulated 12/14 (36ish hours later).  That means your blood work was done 13 DPO, which should be pretty accurate.  That being said my clinic does 1st betas for IVF cycles 8dp5dt (or 13 DPO).  Everyone, even women that their first beta was negative, have to go back for 2nd betas.  One of the nurses said that they have had one woman have a negative 1st beta (<5) and a positive second beta and go on to have a healthy pregnancy.  So it is possible.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• PPs covered it...take another test....get a digi or a FRER and call your RE if it's pos. GL to you!!!
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • edited January 2014
    I'm a medical laboratory technologist :) So I'm the person who actually runs beta's! 

As long as the person who took your blood didn't mislabel it, it's not incorrect. Labs constantly run quality control to make sure their instruments are running the way they are supposed to so that patients can trust the results. 

That being said, implantation can happen as late as 12DPO, meaning you might not have had any hCG in your system yet. Also, if the lab you had your blood work done at is like the lab I work at, we first run the patients serum on a stick similar to an HPT, with a detection limit of 25IU/L and above (although it can pick up levels as low as 3!). That doesn't mean there isn't a level of hCG below the tests detection limit present at that time, and if it's in the process of rising it may not have been beyond that level just yet! :) If that test is not positive, we result it as negative (since they don't call you pregnant unless it's over 25). There's a weird grey zone with beta's <5 is not pregnant, >25 is pregnant. I don't know what doctors make of the results in between. I assume they repeat them! 

FX for you!! :) 

Edited: Added comment about hCG reference ranges
    *** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
  • @twinkie0612...I used a first response HPT but the CVS brand version of it.  It used blue dye though so I dont know if that is less accurate. I will try again tonight with a digital and a pink dye test.  It does seem weird that at 13dpo nothing would have showed up on the blood test.  I know that my RE considers 5 or below not pregnant and when I got the call all the nurse said was she was sorry that I was not pregnant. 
  • I've never used a blue dye test, but they are supposed to be more prone to false positives.  Definitely test again in the morning.  Hopefully you are just one of those lucky few that have a late implanter.

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• laulau384 said:
    Thanks ladies I just took a first response pink dye test and got another positive. I will save the digital for tomorrow morning because they are freaking expensive. Fingers crossed two pregnancy tests can't be wrong. Although I'm still confused about the negative blood!
    Sounds like you may have had a late implanters and this is a real BFP.  Congrats!

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Yay!! Maybe you O'd slightly later then expected or it was a late implanter!!
    *** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"