January 2013 Moms

Gentle sleep training

Just wondering what methods of gentle sleep training worked for you. We tried the CIO method months ago and it just didn't work for us. He's too strong willed and just got so worked up it would take a hour to get him to calm down. He's a good sleeper but needs to be rocked and I would like him to be able to fall asleep himself before the new baby comes in March. He's going through a sleep regression right now and teething so no training will begin until we pass this little bump.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gentle sleep training

• These days if DS doesn't fall asleep on his own, I go in, gently pin him down (that sounds worse than it is, haha! he sleeps on his tummy, so when he's there, I just hold him so he can't sit up)
    Anyway, When he's settled, I rub his back for a minute or so, then go to a butt pat. Over a few minutes, I slow the butt pat down and do it gentler and gentler. Then tip toe away and cross my fingers that he stays asleep! haha.

BUT, if we're ready for bed and he wakes up, I just bring him in bed with me. 
    And fwiw---I started doing this with my DD when I was about as pregnant as you are with DS. For me, it wasn't worth me fighting the battle to try to keep her in her bed--I was too tired and exhausted. I found that it just kind of worked itself out. Just choose what's worth you sanity. :):) Good luck!
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• We tried CIO when LO was nine months and it didnt work and then again two weeks again and it did work after 3 nights. It might work when your LO is a bit older. I couldnt do it with checks or the sleep shuffle because it would make LO more nervous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"