Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When did you first?

Hello, I usually post over at the preemie forum but this is a pretty general question and I'd like any and all feed back.
A little back story on me- I'm a first time mom to a 6 week old boy, he was five weeks early and spent two weeks in the nicu learning to keep warm and eat. My husband is itching to get out of the house. We've been to a movie but he would like us to go out with friends for NYE, get a hotel in the city and come home in the morning. His mom would stay at our house with our son over night. While I'm comfortable leaving our boy with his grandma I'm not sure I'll be able to hold it together all night! I'll miss him to pieces and probably worry nonstop.
My question is when did you first leave your lo with a sitter over night? And did you feel comfortable after a little while or was it a nightmare to be away? If you could do I again would you do anything differently?
I want to go out and see our friends but I'm not sure I'm ready for an over nighter. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready though...haha.

Re: When did you first?

• I formula fed and he spent the night with grandma at 3 weeks, he is a very fussy baby and we just needed a night and it was out 1 year wedding anniversary and my mom was more than willing to take him, I missed him so much but did ok with him spending the night with her.
  • Hasn't happened yet and he's 8 weeks. I don't feel ready to be away from him yet but he'll be going to daycare when he's 12 weeks so maybe I'll leave him with my parents for a few hours to see how he does.
  • Loading the player...
  • DH got a fever when LO was 4 weeks so I had to leave him with my parents until we got to the doctor to see what DH had. I was ok but didn't sleep the whole night basically. We left him with my in laws at almost 7 weeks and it was a little easier but I was still up all night. I think it would have been easier if we were out having fun with friends but we were just at home so that made it harder.
  • Baby is almost 7 weeks & I haven't left her at all. I'm just not ready. Although this is my last week off work so that realization is soon about to slap me in the face.
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • We could come home that night but we live pretty far from the city and DH doesn't like the idea of driving home after New Year's Eve (drunk drivers). We'd be up late anyhow and come home early so he thinks it's better to just get a room and sleep before driving home, like we did last year. And I agree with that but we didn't have a baby last year. So it's a tough decision.
  • My daughter stayed with my parents overnight when she was 5 days old, due to a trip to the ER for me. Then again at 10 days old bc my MIL was Dx with leukemia and DH and I needed to be at their house with no interruptions. I trusted my mom to take the best care of her and really had no choice, so I was fine with it. This LO had a sitter last night for a couple of hours, but he's made it three weeks without having some emergency come up and having to spend the night out, so I'm counting it as a win. DH and I are going OOT when he's a little over 2 months old, so that will probably be the first time he spends the night without one of us.
  • DD is 11.5 weeks and I have not left her overnight yet. I'm a hot mess even thinking about it!!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• I have only left my kids when in the hospital having another kid!
  • i haven't been away from my 11 week son overnight yet. but i did go back to work last week. he either stays at home with my husband or with one of our parents if DH is also working. it's only a part time job, but there were 2 days last week when i was gone for 7 hours. our longest stretch apart so far. he has done great with it.  i, on the other hand, have been a wreck. lol.

i say go, as long as you feel that your BABY is ready to spend a night away from you (physically and emotionally). getting out a bit might be good for you and your husband. however, nothing will be better than the minute you get home to your son :0)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• I left DD home with DH at about 5 weeks so I could go see a movie with a friend. I thought about her the whole time and felt horribly guilty for leaving her. She is 9 weeks now and barely lets me put her down during the day. I think It will be a long long time before I leave her overnight!  If you think that you are both ready then go for it!! 

BFP1- 2/21/2013- L was born 10/25/2013!
    BFP2- 4/18/2014- F was born 12/29/2014! 

• I didn't spend the night away from my DS until he was 9 months old... We EBF for the first year. Not only was I not ready to leave him over night but it was too much of a pain to think about pumping every 3-4 hrs while we were away.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD is 7 weeks and I haven't left her for more than an hour or so, let alone over night. The thought of leaving her makes me want to cry! DH is making me go see a movie this week so my parents are going to watch DD, I will be away from her for about 4 hours.
  • My first was nearly 18 months old when we first left him overnight.  My second was a little younger...  maybe just over a year.  We haven't left DD -- she's 8 weeks.  

It's just that we don't WANT to be away from the kids.  We schedule our vacations and our weekend getaways with the kids because that's how we like it.

If you WANT time away, set up care that makes you comfortable and go.for.it!!  You have to listen to a blend of your heart and mind, and let it roll.  If things work out, great.  If baby needs you or you need baby, you come home early.  That can happen at 5 days old or 5 years old.  
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am EBF and we are going away for the weekend when LO is 11 weeks old.  He is staying with my mom.  I will have enough milk for her.  You need to get out.  We all love our LO but time away is good.  If you trust who he will be with, then go for it.  It may be hard but you will regret it if you dont.  
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • My LO is 6 weeks and I've only left him briefly (2 hours) with my mom while I ran errands, and again a few hours while I went out for dinner and he stayed with DH. At this age I wouldn't leave him with anyone overnight yet. mainly because I wouldn't feel right about them having to get up in the night with him. I guess that means when he STTN is when I will leave him for overnights. My goal next is to see a movie so 4ish hours.
  • We've left LO with my parents on several occasions including NYE (from 9pm-2am) and its been fine. I personally need the break and alone time with DH, but my parents are the only ones I feel comfortable leaving him with and they are 3hrs away. We have rented a hotel room in 2 weeks for DH work party and my parents will be watching LO so we will see how that goes, he will be about 12 weeks by then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"