Preemies

Potential NEC :(

One of my premies in the NICU had two stools with blood last night. She's had two X-rays and both have shown a small blip of "something" a potential irritation, some sign of stress or infection. I dunno. The dr said it did not look like NEC because the looks of NEC on an X-ray are very clear. She also does not show any other symptoms of NEC. However at a NICU they have to treat for the worst and hope for the best. They stopped her feeds and started anti biotics. :(

I'm freaking out. I'm reading that the mortality rate of the surgery is high and she will have life long issues if NEC is the case. Please tell me someone has had this issue and it turned out ok?

Re: Potential NEC :(

• We had a couple of scares. First it turned out to be a fissure, after a few more bad diapers and going through the whole NEC workup more than once, they decided it was a milk protein intolerance. Once I cut out dairy and soy the blood stopped. I still can't eat either or the blood will return but I'm hoping she grows out of it by a year as many do!

Fingers crossed its something small and no surgery is needed!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Mrs. AliceMrs. Alice member
    edited December 2013
    Praying for your little girl!  We had a scare with one of mine.  He wouldn't poop and had green bile in his tummy, plus he was acting sick with increased 02 needs. It turns out it wasn't NEC and he needed a blood transfusion. I do know of some preemie NEC survivors and they are happy healthy kids now.  I pray it's not NEC and if it is that they are able to completely treat it quickly.  HUGS.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just like jbrandon12 my son had bloody stool and a "questionable" X-ray but it turned out he also has a cow protein allergy.. Have they recently added a fortifier to your breast milk? I made the mistake of googling NEC when all this happened and I promised myself never again! I hope it is nothing major!
  • They did add calories to my milk. We've ruled out NEC thank GOD. I'm off dairy for now but I honestly don't think she has a protein allergy. Thanks for getting me through our first NEC scare!
  • I'm so happy to read that they've ruled out NEC.  Let's hope you don't have any more NEC scares!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"