February 2014 Moms

For those who have had GD before...

How long does it take after birth for your blood sugar to go back to normal? I meant to ask at my last appointment, but I forgot. My levels are just getting worse and worse, and I'm getting frustrated.

Re: For those who have had GD before...

• I have GD now, but this is my first, so I don't know from experience, but I have heard almost immediately. Hopefully that's true! I don't know how far along you are, but I've also heard about hormone surges causing your numbers to go up, and then even out, at least to whats normal for you, closer to delivery.
  • I've been told immediately after placenta is delivered, as that's what's causing the issues. I sure hope so-I am about dying for a big piece of chocolate cake!

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine stayed up for a couple days after my c/s and I was starting to panic that it was permanent. Finally the nurse noticed a cran-grape juice on my "diabetic" food tray and asked if I had been drinking them? Ummm yeah. Those things were pure sugar- they weren't supposed to be sending those! After I stopped drinking them, it went right back to normal.

• Thanks, everyone. I'm just starting to get really anxious because my numbers are getting worse and worse, and I really hope it doesn't end up being permanent. I'm overweight and have a family history of diabetes, so it's a real concern for me. At least now I know that I'll find out right away (and to skip the cranberry juice!).
  • This is my 3rd pregnancy with GD. Your blood sugar should go back to normal as soon as you deliver the placenta. They will test you a few times afterwards but it should be immediate.
    imageimageimageimage
  • As above - pretty much instantaneous for the vast majority if people :) I'm not GD, but I've had type 1 diabetes for 22 years and that works the same way.....I'm expecting to be kept chained to the hospital bed for a few days while I try and remember what my insulin levels per food eaten pre-PG were! You get so insulin resistant I've gone from a max of 13 units per meal to around 55 a meal now - God help me if I inject a PG level afterwards!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"