July 2014 Moms
Options

Double stroller?

Ok so when LO2 is born DD will be just turning 2 years old. We have a single stroller, jogger style, great for the outdoors. I'm debating whether or not to buy a double stroller. My thoughts are we don't use it often, just family walks. When we hit stores for errands she walks and holds my hand then goes in a cart once we're inside. I almost never bring a stroller into a store, just the occasional mall visit. I was thinking I have a nice carrier and I could just carry the newborn in that and do as I do now with DD. Even on family walks DD in stroller & carry LO#2.

Am I missing a scenario where I'd need a double on a regular basis? I just feel like the random times I'd want one we could get by and it's not going to be often enough to warrant the expense. I can always obviously wait and if I find I want one get one after LO is born. Any thoughts from ladies with experience or ladies who are planning to buy a double and your reasoning?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Double stroller?

• Options
    I'm with you. I'm keeping my single stroller and telling my two year old to get a move on.

• Options
    I have no idea what I'm going to do... I love going for walks outside, but I could always do one in the stroller and wear the newborn. By the time the weather gets nice again, the baby will be much older and then I can reassess the need for a double stroller. 

I don't see myself buying new though, and I'm not going to sell my old strollers to buy a double since I will end up needing a single stroller again.

I was considering the sit and stand- I've seen them on Craigslist for under $50. 
    *TW* Losses Mentioned
    9.6.12 - Crazy J entered the world

4.30.14 - Sweet Angel Micah John lost to T18 at 7 months pregnant
    2.8.16 Miscarriage at 6 weeks
    4.30.16 BFP *stick baby stick*

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd opt for the sit & stand. I wouldn't count on just carrying LO they can get very heavy esp in their infant seats plus all of the other junk that comes with LOs.
  • Options
    My DD will be 3, and as much as I want the BOB Dualie, I think it'll be a waste. I'll use the Ergo and single stroller in the beginning if a stroller is necessary
  • Options
    I don't trust DS to walk in a store with me, he's a runner with zero regard for his safety so a double is a must for us. I hated babywearing in the summer (too damn hot!) so I don't see the scenario OP is describing working for us.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    My DD will also be three. I'm going single stroller and wearing lo. I'm also thinking about just adding a glider board to my City Versa. Then DD can hop on when she wants.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

I don't trust DS to walk in a store with me, he's a runner with zero regard for his safety so a double is a must for us. I hated babywearing in the summer (too damn hot!) so I don't see the scenario OP is describing working for us.

This. Also, DS hated being worn. He still does. I'm not counting on number two to like it.
  • Options
    DS will be 2 at the end of August and I am planning on getting a double. That being said, I do all the errand running on my own and use my stroller almost every time I go out, so it just makes sense for us to have a double stroller.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm kind of thinking this, too.  DD hated the Moby wrap (she's super hot-natured) and she got heavy fast.  I think I'll keep my single stoller and see if I can find a double stroller used.  They're crazy expensive new, but there are several kid consignment stores around here and I see them in there often for a fraction of the price.  Craigslist is also a nice option, as someone else mentioned.
    BabyFetus Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

• Options
    allardrallardr member
    edited December 2013
    Dd actually listens great and always holds my hand. The few times she wants to go the wrong way I just pick her up...this is really when I see the issue. Yeah I had thought of a sit & stand, but then wasn't sure if the one I liked & within my price range would end up being good enough for rough terrain on our walks. 

I do like the idea though of just using this time to keep an eye on craigslist for a good deal. 

• Options
    cyndelgracecyndelgrace member
    edited December 2013
    I love our double! We bought it knowing we wouldn't use it daily but we go for walks/go to museums/take trips enough to merit the cost. My oldest can walk but it's convenient for when he gets worn out and my youngest doesn't always like to be carried. Think ahead! I wish I would have made this purchase earlier instead of getting by with a single. It was before this baby, so we use it now for my 5 year old and 16 month old. It fits both well and if only one rides, we still have room for bags and such. We have the Britax b-agile double. We also considered a city stroller and the joovy, I'm really happy we chose the Britax.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Ds1 was 15 months when ds2 was born. We got the city select and never looked back. It's got enough space in the basket for quick trips to the grocery store and such. Plus ds1 went through a jealous phase and would refuse to walk on occasion.
  • Options
    DS will be 3 1/2 but I'm still planning to get a sit and stand or some other double stroller (secondhand, unless I find a good deal on one in stores). I just want to have one on hand for walks and for when we travel (especially if we end up flying when the baby is older and need to haul ass to catch a connecting flight). Since we do want a 3rd and hopefully closer in age than these two will be, I figure I might as well get a double now since I'm sure at some point we'll want it.
  • Options
    I bought a used Sit N Stand for $50 when I had DS2. We either used that or I wore DS2 and pushed DS1 in our single stroller. I wasn't sure we'd get much use out of the Sit N Stand but it has been a great purchase. DS1 was not content to stay in a traditional stroller at the museum or zoo (we have memberships and go these places often) and we love the freedom of easily letting him explore and then sit again when he got tired.
  • Options
    I really would like a sit and stand. I really don't use my stroller that much anymore with my two year old but I would like for him to have the option. We go to lots of festivals and weekend trips where I can see it being an atvantage.
  • Options
    I want to get something like a sit and stand or a joovy caboose that my toddler can ride along in.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We waited til DS was 5 months to by a double and I regret not getting it sooner. DD rarely used the stroller before he was born but when I was pushing him around she had serious jealousy issues and wanted in. I tried the carrier/single stroller combo but then ended up carrying DS and pushing an empty stroller. They like riding together so much now and it's nice for extra bag space if DD decides to walk.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We waited til DS was 5 months to by a double and I regret not getting it sooner. DD rarely used the stroller before he was born but when I was pushing him around she had serious jealousy issues and wanted in. I tried the carrier/single stroller combo but then ended up carrying DS and pushing an empty stroller. They like riding together so much now and it's nice for extra bag space if DD decides to walk.
    I never thought of that! It's one thing now but when she she's me pushing LO she definitely might want in too! She's the type too that would love to sit & look at LO while we walked too. I love my current In Step Safari stroller and noticed they have the same thing in Double side-by-side. I don't mind a wide load lol since like I said it's mostly used outdoors, and when indoors people can deal with me :)

• Options
    I'm probably going to get one since we go for lots of walks and trips. DD hated being worn so I don't trust that this one will like it. I'd hate buying it new though because as soon as the baby can sit in the very nice wagon we have, we will probably yes that more often. So I'm on the lookout for a used one.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • Options

DS was 22mos when DD was born.  I bought the Graco Duoglider.  At the time, it was the only double travel system on the market.  I was not much of a "lets go for a walk" kinda chick, but I used it ALL THE TIME.  Theme parks, fairs, pumpkin patches, Wal-Mart, the Mall, playgroup, hiking to the doctor's office (parking lot was forever away from the base hospital!) going to the park...  Stretching back in my memory as much as I can... that's all I have with my pg-brain.  

How about this?  When you get a little closer, say 3rd Tri?  Put the stroller away for say, a month. See if you can live without it, and make your LO walk.  If you don't miss it, you don't need a double.  If it makes you crazy... You need one.  :)

ETA:  I also remember DS telling me that big kids sat in the front, but babies had to stay in the back.  He was VERY proud, and would have been rather jealous had he not been allowed to ride.  Plus he's a feisty one, and would have run off.  a LOT.  It was also a SUPER big deal with DD was "promoted" to the front seat when DS2 was born.  DS1 was slightly (but not too badly) grrrry that he got bumped from his seat.  I tried to make it a big deal that he "got" to walk.  I ended up letting him push.  If you've never seen a 4 year old pushing a fully loaded double stroller...  that is a sight, let me tell you!  :)

It was also a serious beast.  I was thankful I had a Grand Caravan, so there was still plenty of space in my trunk.

I just bought the duo glider today. So excited! :) My DS will be 24/25mo when this LO is born, but he absolutely refuses to hold a hand while walking. About the only thing we can do is strap him in. The double is a definite necessity for us! And I am absolutely loving the fact that it will accept the car seat, but still has a seat for when LO#2 outgrows the infant seat.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We love our double stroller.  DD was 20 months old when her brother was born.  We have a graco and both seats recline (which is great if they fall asleep somewhere).  We use it for any outing other than store trips. I don't know that it would go on trails very well though but we have taken it to outdoor festivals and it pushes on the grass just fine.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Well after reading you ladies' thoughts I looked on Craigslist and found a Baby Trend Sit & Stand stroller. I had been looking at it as an option for us before so to snag one for $50 it was a no brainer. I feel like even if we only use it on rare occasion it's worth that money. It's if I were to spend $200-250 that I would have felt pressure to use it all the time.

I went to Lowe's this morning and she was so excited/energetic she was running off. I like the  option too of quick/easy in&out if she wants to jump on to sit or stand. She never sleeps on a walk and hasn't since like 6 months so I have no worries of her not being able to sleep in it. So excited!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"