December 2013 Moms

Seriously...?!?

So I love that I have to wake my kid up at night to eat rather than the other way around. But I would really love it if that wasn't the case during the day when I'm already up. Second time since getting up today she has fallen asleep at the boob and REFUSED to wake up when I'm super engorged. Then, DH puts her in her swing so I can pump out and not 5 mins into pumping, she's awake. As usual. SERIOUSLY kid?!? I'm getting so frustrated that BFing doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere because she just passes out. ALL the time. Just don't know what to do, and getting really frustrated attempting, and seemingly failing, at BFing. She isn't refusing, she's just passing out.
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Seriously...?!?

• Try breastfeeding when she has just a diaper on, it'll keep her more alert. Also, stroking her cheek when she stops sucking will trigger her sucking reflex again. My DD used to do this same thing when she was a newborn

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• You might try getting her undressed, changing her diaper & feeding her skin to skin. When I wake the baby up to eat, I almost always do that now & it's a little more work, but keeps her awake.

• Loading the player...
  • All the above. I had to strip LO to get him to wake up and eat

• All PPs are right...change her diaper first, take her clothes off and nurse. It works for me every time.

Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can also massage their feet and hands while feeding.
  • I sometimes hand express into his mouth when he falls asleep on the boob, that seems to get him going again.
  • Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I've tried some of them, sometimes it works sometimes not. I usually do strip her down, but her cord is almost off and kinda gooey at the base, so I keep her in a short sleeve onesie to not irritate it. It'll be off probably today or tomorrow and hopefully that will help since I won't be worried about bumping it or anything...still early, sh: only 2'weeks!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Lotion, cold washcloth, continuously tickle feet, invite a 2 year old over that constantly wants to climb all over you to make sure "baby brudder drinking his milk?"

Seriously, though, on the lotion. It seems to work most every time for me.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• eldunlap said:

I tickled my baby's feet when she fell asleep eating.

Same. It seems to work
  • swirl25swirl25 member
    edited January 2014
    amberpro said:
    Lotion, cold washcloth, continuously tickle feet, invite a 2 year old over that constantly wants to climb all over you to make sure "baby brudder drinking his milk?" Seriously, though, on the lotion. It seems to work most every time for me.

Definitely a lot of this happening at our house too! DD1 just cant keep her hands to herself while I nurse DD2. I see major distraction once DD2 is older and actually aware of her surroundings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When this happens I will put the baby down somewhere close to me. It only takes her a few minutes to wake up once I'm not touching her.
  • PPs have given wonderful advice. My LO falls asleep at every single feeding. I feed him until he falls asleep and then we change his diaper, which wakes him up good and then we feed again until he falls back asleep.
    Skin to skin also works wonders

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"