March 2014 Moms

SassyFlats' 1st baby shower happened!

I included my name in the title for my fellow mobile bumpies! :x

So, I mentioned in another thread that I had baby shower blues. I visited my family out of state for a week, and my mom was going BONKERS stressing over my shower. There were no invitations for a baby shower scheduled 2 days after Christmas, my mom just called a bunch of people up a couple of weeks in advance and told them about it. Then she was worried no one was coming. She just wanted me to have a nice shower with my family and get some useful things for baby.

Mom is a notorious worrier.

Well, this baby shower HAPPENED. And it was kind of really nice. First of all, my incredibly moody younger sister did NOT come because she was pissed off that when she tried to tell me that it's "common" for babies to have broken collar bones when they're born, I was absolutely horrified and told her that is NOT common and should NOT happen unless there is some specific reason or emergency. She said two of her friends (who had the same OB, mind you) had it happen. My mom agreed with me that it might be an indication that the doc is not so great (rural area... backwoods doctors). And my sister stormed out. SO... that much drama was avoided at the shower. :P

We did have about 10 people total (counting me and my cousin's 7-year-old little girl). My cousin had a bunch of games planned and they were fun. Of course I won the trivia game... no surprise. I've always been the lone nerd in the hillbilly family. Her 7-year-old daughter won the belly measuring game.... because everyone else's ribbon was long enough to tie a damn bow around my belly! LOL! The kiddo came pretty darn close... within an inch, I think. I also nailed the baby item guessing game. She blindfolded me and handed me various baby items to guess what they were. I got every single one right. Years of babysitting turned me into the most boring FTM ever. I was even accused of peeking and then someone else reminded everyone that I am the most by-the-book person EVER and probably even had my eyes closed under the blindfold. I did. :-/

The cake was AWESOME. I'll try to blur out my name and add a pic for you to see. Mom caught some flack from the baker about me having an outer space theme "even if it's a girl?!"... and my mom defended our choice like a champ. SPACE IS COOL, guys! I always wanted to go to space camp as a kid, I had a telescope, I took astronomy as one of my physical sciences in college.... why is space only for boys?! My mom set her straight, but the woman was still worried we wouldn't like the cake. I LOVED IT. It was perfect!

The balloons were also hilarious. They had a rocket ship balloon that my mom wanted to get, but it said "Happy Birthday." She got it anyway. I laughed. Goofy but perfect. :)

We got some nice things for baby- a cute footie outfit, some teething toys, bowls and spoons, bottles, bibs, wash cloths and burp cloths. A couple of sentimental things, too- a snuggly bear-blanket from my great-aunt, and my cousin passed along a crocheted blanket our great-grandmother made and a book of fairy tales that was my dad's when he was a kid (apparently it was in a box of old books our grandpa gave her). Speaking of my dad and grandpa... they stayed for the whole shower and sat talking about hunting and such... I thought that was pretty funny. I expected my dad to have plans or something, but nope! Guess the guys didn't want to miss out. DH ended up coming downstairs for cake and helping me open gifts, too.

It was really nice... I was exhausted by the end of it, but I had a really good time! :)

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 

Re: SassyFlats' 1st baby shower happened!

• SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    edited December 2013
    My sister is young, naive, and bossy. She doesn't like to be told she's wrong... which I am not shy about doing. So, one second she'll be all sweet and thoughtful (she even got DH a "daddy bag" stuffed with baby gear for Christmas), and the next she's spitting fire and venom. I just ignore her, mostly. My brother and I joked that it's usually easier to get her all pissed off right away so you don't have to walk on eggshells the rest of the time you're with her. :P

She tried to lecture me that I need the "My Breast Friend" pillow or whatever because her friend has one and she uses it to breastfeed standing up while cooking dinner. I told her I don't really want to breastfeed while standing up and cooking dinner, I'd rather put my feet up and enjoy the bonding time whenever possible. She said something about her friend being supermom, and I said I don't want to be a supermom. I just want to be a good mom.

Then she mentioned her other friend was induced a day after her due date since she was "overdue" and I shut down the conversation by saying "unless there's an actual medical reason, that's a bunch of crap. I doubt you're going to hear about me making many decisions that your friends have because I'm nothing like them."

She got all red-faced and yelled "YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW MY FRIENDS!" and stormed out of the house.

Did I mention she's 25? And that she had a similar meltdown in Target on the morning of my wedding 3+ years ago? Yep. That's my baby sister.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Loading the player...
  • @saraboespflug my co-ed friend shower is the 18th!!! :D

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • That sounds like a fun shower! I loooooove the space theme, especially the happy birthday rocket balloon. And I am all righteously indignant at the baker thinking space would just be for boys! Of COURSE space is for girls too! Silly baker. :-)

Anyway, congrats, and I hope the rest are just as fun and drama-free!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your shower sounds like a blast - and your sister sounds like a brat.  I'm glad you got over your blues and enjoyed yourself!
  • Love the space cake! Of course space can be for girls!! I'm glad that it worked out so well for you, and that you're looking forward to the rest of the showers. And that your sister didn't ruin things by being immature ;-)
  • What a fun shower!! I'm glad everything worked out - I love the cake and balloon :)

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @sassyflats, re: color, what if you added planets into the decor? That'd break up the blue, what with Mars being so red, and the gorgeous rings of Saturn, and Jupiter.....
  • I love the theme and I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy your first shower! This makes me even more excited for ours! :)

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • @pepperedmoth I'm totally considering adding in a solar system mobile or something. Or even doing different colored fabrics in embroidery hoops on the wall to represent the planets. I saw it on a blog somewhere. 

I think as I collect things I'll come across some more colorful ideas. Space is totally full of color, you're right! It just means I won't be going with a pre-packaged "space" nursery (so much BLUE)... gotta get creative and find bits and pieces on their own.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Ooooohhhhhh. I like it, especially the first with embroidery hoops. That's clever!

Also, they included Pluto! Yay!
  • Glad you had a great time, it sounds like it was perfect!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I can't decide which I want to do!!! The nursery walls are beige and are staying that way because our house is only a year old and I'm too lazy to paint a year-old room. :P

So.... I dunno. Embroidery hoops are clever and cute... etsy prints are also cute and easier.... :-/

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Mwahahahaha. Our nursery walls are ALSO beige and staying beige for the identical reason.

The Etsy prints are cute too, and, as you say, easier. I am a big fan of easy decorating. Just do those! They'll be great.
  • How awesome! Love the theme and your sister is cray cray!
  • So happy this turned out well for you, sounds like a great time was had by all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So glad it was fun, and I love the theme.  :)  

BabyFetus Ticker

• Looks like it was great!  So happy you had a nice shower.  I love the theme too - because SPACE IS COOL (and yes, for girls too!).  Our nursery is celestial/space themed as well - complete with a giant pale blue dot print.  Not strictly space related, but I'm still debating totally geeking out and adding 3 prints of our names (mine, DHs and baby girl's) in Gallifreyan on one wall.  So excited!  
  • @benevolentforce I'm totally ordering a TARDIS night light and throw blanket. ;)

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • @benevolentforce I'm totally ordering a TARDIS night light and throw blanket. ;)
    I double like this. 
  • @SassyFlats I seriously have a major bump crush on you!
    I thought our baby sisters sounded similar, but mine's only 21, so she has a little time. We're also having our shower (co-ed) on the 18th, and I'm so glad you're going with the space theme; I never wanted to be a lawyer or doctor, but I did want to be an astronaut :)
    Also, obviously a broken collarbone is not ideal, but babies heal quickly and my dad broke his collarbone when he was a baby: can't even tell!
    Third Tri Feelings:
    imageBabyFetus Ticker
  • With the collarbone thing, it's more that she insisted it's common and happens all the time. That's just not true and if it is for that doctor I'd be looking for someone else to deliver my baby.

But tell that to my sister and you're SHUNNED.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • I love the space cake and themed shower. Glad you had fun at it. The space theme nursery is a awesome idea. Check out Pinterest I am sure there is lots of space ideas there. I am doing a Star Wars Nursery and we don't know what we are having. There are strong men and woman characters in Star Wars just as there are male and female astronauts/scientists.
  • I am glad you enjoyed your shower! I agree that a space theme isn't just for boys!!!
    Yay, for baby showers!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"