Homeschooling
Options

Random Q

Dd1 (4, almost 5) seems to have an interest in sewing. Has anyone taught/learned this young? Should I start with hand sewing? Any tips or first project ideas?

DD1 | Jan 2009
DD2 | June 2011
DS1 | Oct 2013
   ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
DS2 | June 2016
DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Random Q

• Options
    I would get her some of those mesh grids with the yarn and large plastic needles to start.  They sell the kits at craft stores.  That would teach her how to thread the needle and read a pattern, as well as the basic hand coordination needed for sewing.  Once she gets bored with that you could move on to doing some sewing by hand, even cross-stitching or something like that. They do sell sewing machines for children if you're wanting to teach her how to do that, but I would wait on that investment until she shows a real interest in it.

• Options
    I learned to sew when I was five years old. My grandma and I made a penefore dress for me on her old 1930 electric singer (from her grandmother). I've sewn in that thing recently and it takes a much steadier hand than modern machines do.
    My only experience prior to that was playing with scraps from my mom's cross stitching.
    Sewing teaches patience (especially to the teacher ;) so you may find yourself teaching sewing in short bursts as your daughter might need frequent breaks on a project.
    I would suggest picking a simple pattern, something for her b/c doll clothes are too small, and focusing on sewing as a step by step process.
    Five is a great age to begin sewing! Almost five should be a great age too! I am so grateful that my Grammy was able to teach me. I'm no sewing genius but I know my way around a serger and I sewed my wedding dress and corset and DH's suit for the wedding all by my lonesome and have made some money here and there with my skill as well as being able to mend up our clothes as they wear.
    If your DD seems too frustrated with actually sewing a real dress or skirt or whatever you choose to try then maybe hold off and try again later but I think if you take it slow and you are clear about all of the steps involved it should work out.
    I remember Grammy would spend a while getting out thread vomit or ripping a seam that I had sewn together incorrectly while I played. She would explain to me briefly what she did and then we would move on.
    When I went to sew on my own years later, I remembered her lessons and her sitting quietly with the scissors and seam ripper while I had my pound puppys go to the carnival under the dinning room table :)
    GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SidraJedi said:

I learned to sew when I was five years old. My grandma and I made a penefore dress for me on her old 1930 electric singer (from her grandmother). I've sewn in that thing recently and it takes a much steadier hand than modern machines do.
    My only experience prior to that was playing with scraps from my mom's cross stitching.
    Sewing teaches patience (especially to the teacher ;) so you may find yourself teaching sewing in short bursts as your daughter might need frequent breaks on a project.
    I would suggest picking a simple pattern, something for her b/c doll clothes are too small, and focusing on sewing as a step by step process.
    Five is a great age to begin sewing! Almost five should be a great age too! I am so grateful that my Grammy was able to teach me. I'm no sewing genius but I know my way around a serger and I sewed my wedding dress and corset and DH's suit for the wedding all by my lonesome and have made some money here and there with my skill as well as being able to mend up our clothes as they wear.
    If your DD seems too frustrated with actually sewing a real dress or skirt or whatever you choose to try then maybe hold off and try again later but I think if you take it slow and you are clear about all of the steps involved it should work out.
    I remember Grammy would spend a while getting out thread vomit or ripping a seam that I had sewn together incorrectly while I played. She would explain to me briefly what she did and then we would move on.
    When I went to sew on my own years later, I remembered her lessons and her sitting quietly with the scissors and seam ripper while I had my pound puppys go to the carnival under the dinning room table :)
    GL!

That is so sweet!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My  year old is super interested in sewing too. If they're sewing by hand its great for building fine motor skills, and can even help strengthen their hands for holding a pencil. 
    I just started her off with 2 squares of felt to sew together, and she was thrilled. You could even stuff it and make a doll pillow.
    *But* be careful!!! I turned my head for a second, and we immediately had an incident involving a sewing needle and DD's eye, that landed us in the emergency room. Turned out she was fine, but it was still pretty scary for both of us!
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"