February 2014 Moms

What precautions are you taking after LO is born...

I remember with DS, we had visitors come over with runny noses, sore throats, etc. They wouldn't tell us ahead of time, but would just come over (MIL, FIL, etc) and we would realize it after sitting with them for a while. I also had some good friends bring their little kids over with runny noses etc.

What precautions will you take to prevent these types of things from happening? I'm more concerned bc of flu season right now and the fact that there are some NASTY stomach bugs/flu viruses going around right now.

I have hand sanitizer out and soap/towels by every sink. Any thoughts ladies?

I read somewhere that if an infant gets a fever before 21 days old, they have to do a spinal tap to test and find out what is wrong. (Any truth to this?)

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What precautions are you taking after LO is born...

• Ugh, people are so rude. I am always SO careful about this- since I'm a teacher I always go home and shower/change before visiting new babies, don't go if I'm sick and wash my hands when I arrive. 

Anyway, that being said- I'm not planning to be too crazy about it. My family and friends have been SO good even during pregnancy at not seeing me when they are sick so I assume they will be as good with the baby. I will probably insist on handwashing if I can remember in the chaos of everything. 

I have heard the same thing about the spinal tap but I'm not sure if it's true. I don't plan to be crazy about germs forever but at the beginning I'll be careful :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we've already told people that if they're not feeling 100%, they need to stay at home. they've taken this really well, actually- my grandmother wants to come see me in the hospital, but has stayed home because she has a cold. we've also asked all family members to get a flu shot and tdap before baby comes.

we've also stocked up on hand soap and people will need to wash their hands before they can hold/play with baby. if they tell me they "just washed their hands" i'll ask them to do it again. no such thing as "too clean"!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @RedSoxGirl10 I agree on not going crazy or overboard.

I am also a teacher and see so many illnesses. Luckily I won't bring any of that home since I"ll be on leave.

• @dunvilles

Unfortunately my husband is also a teacher and won't be on leave haha. Luckily, he is a bit germ crazy so he will shower when he gets home- he actually already does this. I'm much more like oh well germs are making me stronger haha. 

• I'm just doing normal wash your hands, hand sanitizer, and I already told people not to visit if they are sick. Better safe than sorry!
  • dunvillesdunvilles member
    edited December 2013

How will you handle it if someone won't get the flu shot or TDAP shot?

(I am not talking about people who have medical reasons and aren't able to have the shots.)

• This ticks me off to no end.  Honestly, I prefer no visitors other than the grandparents for the first 3-4 weeks.  This is mostly b/c I'm still recovering from a c/s, dealing with BF, sleep deprivation, and all the other insanity that life with a newborn entails.  I know people want to see baby but that's too bad.  This baby will already be exposed to enough with 2 big siblings in daycare/school so I don't need to add more to the mix.  I even told my friend today that she is blacklisted unless she gets a flu shot now.  I was ticked that she hadn't already gotten one and sure enough, her son tested positive for flu this morning!  If you aren't cool with banning visitors, then I would definitely ask everyone before they come over if everyone in their house is healthy and to please remember to wash hands before touching the baby.

• dunvilles said:

How will you handle it if someone won't get the flu shot or TDAP shot?

(I am not talking about people who have medical reasons and aren't able to have the shots.)

My roommate says his doctor told him he doesn't need it since he got it a few years ago...so he won't be touching the baby or in the same room with baby if he is sick. I doubt his doctor told him that the flu shot works for years, and as for the TDAP I really don't know but I'm not taking chances. He has no health issues so to me he has no excuse since he lives with my family.

If people who haven't had the shot visit they will be washing their hands, and nowhere near baby if they are sick .

If you ask people who want to be around the baby a lot to get the shot, they should get it. At least that's what I think. It's for your little one's safety after all.
  • I know for the TDAP, my DH, Mom, and Dad all had their adult booster when my first son was born 4 years ago, so they didn't need it. As far as the flu shot, I believe it targets a different strain/strains every year and that is why you have to get it yearly.

I just sent a text to FIL, Step-MIL, MIL, Dad, Step-Dad, Mom... etc... lol

@slwprincess I agree, the first 3-4 weeks, I was a hormonal, exhausted, bleeding mess... I will hold off any visitors during this time that I can. I am asking that MIL stay away longer as well because she is sick constantly.

• My poor child is doomed...5 older siblings....and i work with 250 kids and I'm taking maybe a week off....lots of hand washing. This girl will hopefully be a tough chick like her mama ;)
  • Ugh, this is so awkward for me to think about -- sending our families a mass text that's like "Please make sure you get your flu shots, everyone!" seems...bossy, I guess? I mean I know it's not, but it makes me uncomfortable. 

I know it's important and absolutely necessary, but I hate any kind of confrontation and/or potential for drama. I'll probably mention it to each of them individually when we're discussing the plans for visits.

As far as friends go...I really haven't thought about it. My friends are not familiar with visiting babies, so I highly doubt they'd even consider the sickness factor. (Crazy, right? But because I'm one of the first to have kids, it literally won't cross their minds unless I say something.) I'll probably just ask people to wash their hands when they come over, or ask a quick "you're not sick, right?" when they tell me they want to visit.

• Codypup said:
    Ugh, this is so awkward for me to think about -- sending our families a mass text that's like "Please make sure you get your flu shots, everyone!" seems...bossy, I guess? I mean I know it's not, but it makes me uncomfortable. 

I know it's important and absolutely necessary, but I hate any kind of confrontation and/or potential for drama. I'll probably mention it to each of them individually when we're discussing the plans for visits.

As far as friends go...I really haven't thought about it. My friends are not familiar with visiting babies, so I highly doubt they'd even consider the sickness factor. (Crazy, right? But because I'm one of the first to have kids, it literally won't cross their minds unless I say something.) I'll probably just ask people to wash their hands when they come over, or ask a quick "you're not sick, right?" when they tell me they want to visit.

I texted stepMIL and FIL together and said "Hey! Appointment yesterday went great! Baby is healthy and happy. My doctor did tell me that she recommends all visitors to have a current Flu shot and TDAP shot. Let us know if you have any questions!

Then I sent one to MIL that said the same thing, my mom & step dad, My dad and step mom, etc.

If I wait until they visit, they may not have time to get the shot etc. Wanted them to have a heads up. I wouldn't send out a text like that to cousins/aunts/uncles etc.

• I don't think that message was bossy or confrontational at all.

• I'm really not one to get worked up about this kind of stuff. I know it's a hot topic for many. My SIL wouldn't come to Xmas because she is so paranoid about her baby getting sick (no one that attended was sick).
    It's only going to be immediate family/close friends that are going to want to visit. Most had their flu shots, and I'm not going to ask anyone to get a Tdap. I just don't feel comfortable telling my immediate family they can't come see LO without it. I know they will stay away if they aren't feeling well.
    I have two other children at home..they are going to be the biggest germ-carrying culprits and I can't keep them away! :)
  • I totally understand people coming over and not feeling sick/being sick at that moment but you do realize there are incubation periods before these illnesses where people are contagious before showing symptoms....

I'm just curious primarily bc DS may not be full term.

• I know there is another "super bug" that is going around. I don't remember the name of it, but it is not covered by our current flu shot and is really nasty.

• karichkarich member
    edited December 2013
    dunvilles said:

I totally understand people coming over and not feeling sick/being sick at that moment but you do realize there are incubation periods before these illnesses where people are contagious before showing symptoms....

I'm just curious primarily bc DS may not be full term.

If it really concerns you, you're only option is to avoid everyone until May, when flu season is officially considered over.
    If you don't want to do that, take other precautions. Hand washing is the single most effective way to prevent infection.
    For me, I can't police everyone, and I'm not going to attempt to. My family is reasonable and won't come around if they aren't feeling well. Like I said, I think my school-aged children are going to be my biggest germ-carrying culprits, and I can't keep LO quarantined away from them!

ETA: spelling
  • I did have all my kids get fly shots already and made sure they are up to date on all vaccinations :)
  • We've told people that if they have not had flu shots and even if they or their kids have the sniffles we don't want to see them. And I don't think that's rude at all!
  • Tdap is definitely good for several years. It's something like 7 or 10 here (forget which). It is not something you need annually, so if someone's doctor said they don't need it, that's totally plausible.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We have family that had no issues coming over to play with my toddler over Christmas with the flu. We weren't home at the time (she was with grandparents). Now DH is sick.

Needless to say, I'm spelling it out for them that if they show up sick when we have a newborn, they aren't touching the baby.

It sounds bitchy, but we have an H1N1 outbreak in my city right now and we've had fatalities already.
    TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • For the first few months I am going to be recouping from csection and bonding with baby. My family will be adjusting to a new schedule. I will not have many visitors at all and I doubt I will attend any functions where there will be several family members.

My DH has yet to tell his mother that I will not have the whole family swooping in as soon as I am out of surgery.

I informed my family at Christmas. It may sound extreme but I realize that many people lack boundaries. Christmas was a perfect example. We arrived to find that three family members had nasty colds (which we spent the weekend battling). No one mentioned it beforehand. I'm not doing that with a newborn in tow.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Codypup said:

Ugh, this is so awkward for me to think about -- sending our families a mass text that's like "Please make sure you get your flu shots, everyone!" seems...bossy, I guess? I mean I know it's not, but it makes me uncomfortable. 

I had the same thoughts but I went ahead with the e-mail. It's my job as a mom to protect LO. My family took it pretty well!

DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Codypup said:

I had the same thoughts but I went ahead with the e-mail. It's my job as a mom to protect LO. My family took it pretty well!

I like PPs idea to blame it on the doctor too. "Doctor says immediate family has to get it for baby's safety!"
    You're not the bad guy, the doctor is!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Luckily we won't be having many visitors when LO is here.Generally we don't usually have a lot of people around because we are so far from most people. But those that will be visiting wil be expected to be in good health and have washed their hands each time before touching baby. 

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• armalan12 said:

This thread was not about what I thought it would be...

Anyway, most (if not all) our immediate family got flu shots, and most tDap. I'm not going to police them too hard. They have common sense.

I'm an introvert, but in this case I'm really looking forward to having visitors and showing off LO. (Ask me again in a couple months, though. ;) )

I totally thought it was about birth control based on the subject line....
    Yeah, I was going to say we'll probably use abstinence for awhile. ;)

I'm not good at abstinence.

image image
  • megash113 said:

Zimger said:

For the first few months I am going to be recouping from csection and bonding with baby. My family will be adjusting to a new schedule. I will not have many visitors at all and I doubt I will attend any functions where there will be several family members.

I would lose my mind if the only people I saw for a few months were the baby and DH. I would absolutely go stir crazy. I will be lucky if I make it two weeks before I bring LO to see friends or family.

Exactly. DH thinks LO won't be leaving the house until June. I laugh because there's no possible way that I would maintain sanity if I was home all day with no other human interaction.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • For the first few months I am going to be recouping from csection and bonding with baby. My family will be adjusting to a new schedule. I will not have many visitors at all and I doubt I will attend any functions where there will be several family members.

I would lose my mind if the only people I saw for a few months were the baby and DH. I would absolutely go stir crazy. I will be lucky if I make it two weeks before I bring LO to see friends or family.
    Exactly. DH thinks LO won't be leaving the house until June. I laugh because there's no possible way that I would maintain sanity if I was home all day with no other human interaction.

I have no problem with it. This is probably due to my introverted nature. I can see how it may bother some.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When DD came home the nicu doc told us no one under 5 should come over. I think my DD will be the only small child to see DD for a bit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"