May 2014 Moms

Weirdest request ever?

So I had lunch with my amazing MIL today as I try to do when I have a day off from school.  She proceeds to tell me that her best friend approached her after our annual Christmas Day lunch and said the following: "As you know, I have never seen a baby born because I adopted my son.  Do you think K would be okay with me being in the delivery room when she gives birth?"  My MIL is awesome and told her friend hell no - birth is something very private and that only my DH will be in the delivery room with me.  Thank goodness for her fielding that one.  I'm not sure how I would've reacted if I'd fielded that one in person.

Has anyone else had any over the top requests from family or friends so far this pregnancy?

BFP#1 5/12/13  EDD 1/10/14   MMC 6/20/13

BFP #2 8/27/13    EDD 5/5/14    **hoping for our rainbow baby**  We are TEAM PINK!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo MAYmom_zps2ae858ee.jpgpgal may 14 photo pgalmay14_zpsb4a23c3c.jpg

Re: Weirdest request ever?

• I think it's nuts that someone would think it's appropriate to even ask to be a part that. Doesn't she realize she could just rent a movie? 
    I haven't had anything over the top, just a co-worker who really wants to be my doula, even though I'm not having a doula, nor would she be someone I would choose if I did. But that's pretty minor. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @typeset, OMG, toooooo funny! Hubby asked me what was so funny. And he paused, stares at me blankly and says "yep!"

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• My MIL used to INSIST that she would be in the room. I set that boundary years ago, and she hasn't said anything about it in recent years. But even she is the baby's grandmother. Some random other person?! No way!!!!!
  • Way to go MIL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had planned on some close friends visiting right after the birth. We stayed at their house the night before to be closer to the birth center. I guess there was some miscommunication between myself and DH. After the nurses took my newborn to get checked over, I look around and this couple are in the labor room. And I'm getting stitched up. And they were there during the birth while I was naked. That was NOT part of the plan!

The guy was standing level with my shoulders so I guess that's better than standing near the foot of the bed? In fact most of my pictures that one of the nurses took include these people. Nobody asked me and I will be very clear about my wishes in the future! It was a very powerful emotional experience for them, which is great but I wish I had some pictures of the birth with just DH, myself and our baby.
  • Wooooah that's creepy. Does she want to be there so she can steal your baby?

Nobody apart from DH and the medical professionals will be in my delivery room and even DH is staying top end. I only want people witnessing the destruction of my downstairs furniture if they're qualified to do so.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• coyadlik said:

So I had lunch with my amazing MIL today as I try to do when I have a day off from school.  She proceeds to tell me that her best friend approached her after our annual Christmas Day lunch and said the following: "As you know, I have never seen a baby born because I adopted my son.  Do you think K would be okay with me being in the delivery room when she gives birth?"  My MIL is awesome and told her friend hell no - birth is something very private and that only my DH will be in the delivery room with me.  Thank goodness for her fielding that one.  I'm not sure how I would've reacted if I'd fielded that one in person.

Has anyone else had any over the top requests from family or friends so far this pregnancy?

In what universe would this be ok?!? Wow, I would have been totally speechless with the "deer caught in headlight" look on my face!

I would be totally caught off guard too!  Luckily, I've been able to very tactfully put it out there to my mom and MIL (before they even had the chance to ask), that it will only be me and DH in the delivery room.  My mom was great and made me laugh with her response: 'You and N got yourself into this, I'm sure the two of you can get yourselves out of it in the delivery room!'  Although she will be ready to meet her grandson ASAP, I'm so thankful that she was understanding of DH and I wanting to greet our son on our own!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy crap!!  How would someone even think that request is ok!  So glad for you that your MIL took care of that one.  Any requests I've gotten seem pretty tame after that one...
  • I'm surprised she would ask but I also feel a little sorry for the woman. It must be important to her. Maybe someday her son's wife will let her in. I definitely would not invite her to watch me give birth (she's not even family) but for some reason her request makes me a little sad for her.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • That is CRAZY!! Youtube, The Bump, Baby Center… hell ANYWHERE on the internet… just type "child birth" in a search engine. GEEZE!
    The ONLY people in my delivery room with be DH and the medical people. The ONLY family is his aunt, and thats because she's gonna be my L&D nurse. I put my foot down on our parents WAY in the beginning of this!

**Lighting a candle in memory of our angel babies and angel mama in heaven from May'14**

In reality, I feel sorry for her, but that's weird. No. Just no. At least your MIL rocks and handled it accordingly. My MIL would have asked me anyway.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • coyadlik said:

https://gph.is/18Tyvzh
  • Wish my mil was that awesome! I told her 100 times with DD I didn't want her in the room and she refused to leave. Strict rule this time around, DH only and first ones to come in and see baby after birth will be DS and DD. NO exceptions. After that I don't care who comes to see her.
  • DH has decided that a good rule of thumb is that if you were not there at the conception of the child and you are not a member of the medical team charged with helping deliver the child, you just should stay in the waiting room.  :-)  My MIL's friend is a sweet woman but in no way is it appropriate that she be in the delivery room.  Your responses made me chuckle.  Thanks ladies!

BFP#1 5/12/13  EDD 1/10/14   MMC 6/20/13

BFP #2 8/27/13    EDD 5/5/14    **hoping for our rainbow baby**  We are TEAM PINK!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo MAYmom_zps2ae858ee.jpgpgal may 14 photo pgalmay14_zpsb4a23c3c.jpg

• Ew weirdo.  Lady needs to meet YouTube.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"