Multiples

NICU Question

Hi ladies, I am 7 weeks pregnant with twins and should be released from our RE on Thursday. I'm having a hard time determining if I should go to my regular OB/GYN who has priveledges at the local hospital 5 minutes away with a level 2 NICU or if I should find another practice with priveledges at other hospitals with a level 3 NICU but are 35-40 minutes away. I'd ideally like to deliver naturally if I can but ultimately just want what is best for the babies. I would hate to be at a separate hospital if they needed more specialized care and had to be transferred. Any input? How did you choose where to deliver?

***SIGGY/TICKER WARNING***

TTC since September 2012 ~ DH(32): Non-obstructive azoospermia, Me(32): Normal

10/13 - TESE found sperm!! ~ 11/13 - IVF w/ ICSI #1 ~ ER 11/23/13 ~ 10 R, 9 M, 8 F

ET 11/29/13 ~ Transferred 2 beautiful hatching blasts, 5 frosties

12/5/13 -  BFP!!! Beta #1 (12/7/13) - 189  Beta #2 (12/9/13) - 401 Beta #3 5871

12/16/13 U/S #1 - TWINS!! EDD - August 16, 2014 ~ 7/19/14 - Our beautiful baby girls joined the world!

Re: NICU Question

• This was my biggest fear...to have our family separated! I had a choice of a hospital 15 minutes away with no NICU or a hospital 75 minutes away with a level 3 NICU. We did pick the farther hospital and I'm glad as we will be needing the NICU. I had pprom with a water break 30 days ago and have been in the hospital since and will be delivering around 32 weeks. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• Are you only going to see an OB or will you also consult with a MFM/Perinatologist (sp?)? Many expecting multiples will see both or a MFM who delivers. Talk with your OB about their comfort levels and practices delivering multiples and what kind of scenarios would put the babies in one level of NICU over another.

I'm seeing a MFM who delivers at a hospital with a level 3 NICU 50 minutes away but unless complications come up I will deliver at the local hospital 10 minutes away with no NICU.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would plan to deliver at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU.  You just never know what's going to happen with a multiples pregnancy.  I'd much rather be over prepared than under. 
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • I'd recommend the level 3. I had what I thought was a complication-free pregnancy, but only because my MFM didn't properly diagnose IUGR. I delivered at 37w6d at a local hospital with a level 2 NICU, but after a week my daughter was transferred to a level 3 NICU an hour away. She spent 5 more weeks at that hospital and I wonder if that would have been shorter if those doctors had treated her from the start.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The better NICU and hospital reputation trumped everything for me and I'm glad - I had some complications during birth and we all made it okay. I delivered at 34w and they spent 13 days in the NICU.

• I dealt with almost an exact same situation and can tell you what happened in my case; I am 29 weeks. But, my ob has privileges at the hospital right around the corner and holds my mfm satellite office. I planned on delivering there and felt comfortable ( level 2 nicu) but I had complications from complete previa several weeks ago and due to the age of the babies transferred me to the level 3 nicu 45 minutes away where I am now going to remain until delivery : womp womp: My point is that I am sure that it would be similar in your case if you were to have complications they would transfer you. But, ideally it is up to you. You can always move later if it appears that there will be complications they may automatically switch you in this case; or, move now. The hard part is that you have no clue if it will be a breeze of a pregnancy or if it can change overnight like it did in my case. So i wpuld stay with the close hospital. Good luck!
  • I had this option with my twins, and we would have been separated if I'd delivered them at the local hospital since they were 34 weeks. Definitely go with the level 3.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• I work in the level 3 nicu at the hospital well deliver at. There is a closer hospital w a level 2 but in the event something happened,i don't want the downtime for them to be transferred nor do I want to be separated from them.
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Thanks so much for all this wonderful advice. I think we will meet with my OB and see what she says but I'm definitely going for the level 3.

***SIGGY/TICKER WARNING***

TTC since September 2012 ~ DH(32): Non-obstructive azoospermia, Me(32): Normal

10/13 - TESE found sperm!! ~ 11/13 - IVF w/ ICSI #1 ~ ER 11/23/13 ~ 10 R, 9 M, 8 F

ET 11/29/13 ~ Transferred 2 beautiful hatching blasts, 5 frosties

12/5/13 -  BFP!!! Beta #1 (12/7/13) - 189  Beta #2 (12/9/13) - 401 Beta #3 5871

12/16/13 U/S #1 - TWINS!! EDD - August 16, 2014 ~ 7/19/14 - Our beautiful baby girls joined the world!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"