January 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone with cholestasis in pregnancy?

gina0485gina0485 member
edited December 2013 in January 2014 Moms
Hi ladies,

I am looking for some support from anyone who has had or currently has cholestasis, and/or just some encouraging words. 

I have been having some severe itching on my palms and the soles of my feet over the last 4-5 days without rash, and without any precipitating factors (no scented lotions, using free and clear detergent, have been avoiding perfumed soaps, etc). It gets way worse at night. My doctor was suspicious for cholestasis so she sent me for some blood work today. There's also the possibility that it is just my whacko hormones gearing up for the big day. Unfortunately, the bile acid labs that are used to diagnosis cholestasis won't come back for a week. In the interim, I have been labeled a 'precaution' and am to call my doctor with "any changes" which are basically unlimited. I have to keep an eye on LO's movement too, as babies born to moms with cholestasis are at increased risk of stillbirth. I am not freaking out YET because I'm not diagnosed yet, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. This is the first time in my pregnancy that I've had a genuine issue come up. The good news is, the labs that determine liver damage will be back by the end of the day and are expected to be negative. 

Thanks and I hope everyone has an awesome New Year.
Baby Boy #2
Due Date 11/10/16

Re: Anyone with cholestasis in pregnancy?

• Options

So I had PUPPS when I was pregnant with my first, and they sent me to the hospital to be tested for cholestasis. Turns out that I did not have it, but I completely remember the stress and discomfort it all caused in the last weeks of my pregnancy from weeks 36-39 (I ended up being induced at 39 weeks).

I know that it is hard, but try your best to hang in there and distract yourself until you get the labs back.  I know you said that you don't have the itchy rash as much, but I found relief in taking warm oatmeal baths.

Definitely keep track of the fetal movement, and if anything changes--don't hesitate to call your doctor or head in to L&D. And try your best to stay off of Google--I remember that the stress of what I read made it 100X worse.

Hang in there--I'll keep you in my thoughts as I can completely relate to what you are going through.

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

• Options
    I also am being tested for cholestasis - I had my blood work drawn on Saturday morning and have an appointment with doctor Friday.  I hope to have the results back for that meeting but with the holidays I worry it may not happen.  My itching also came on suddenly and is mostly on my hands.  It is getting bad enough that my hands now hurt from itching too much and I am trying my hardest to keep from scratching.  No rash, and certainly not dry skin related.  No new soaps or detergents or anything changed. 

I am right there with you with being concerned by trying not to freak out because I have not been diagnosed yet.  I worry if I am making a big deal out of nothing, especially if I have a day where the itching is less intense.  I hate this feeling of being in limbo and not knowing if it something I need to worry about or something I should just put out of my mind. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes with both my pregnancies. It's a pain for sure but it's good that you are being tested. I was not diagnosed until almost 41 weeks last pregnancy and was induced the same day the labs came back. This time my symptoms started around 30 weeks, I was put on the medication ursodiol to control the bile acid levels, and am getting weekly non-stress tests to be sure everything is going well. Depending on lab work and the NSTs I will be induced sometime between this Thursday and January 19 (36-38 weeks).

Do you have any specific questions?
  • Options
    @bensmommy518 @quidditchcapn1120  I am sorry that you're both going through (or possibly going through) cholestasis as well but it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone. 

@quidditchcapn1120 my biggest question was just in regards to how they medically manage cholestasis. I have read about ursodiol and NSTs but I wanted more knowledge about when they just chose to use induction versus medication therapy, especially as I am moving closer to 37 weeks (Saturday). It makes sense that they started to treat you early, given your history. I was told that it is often recurrent with recurrent pregnancies, so at least you were prepared this time. Do they always induce when you have cholestasis or does it depend on your clinical progression? These are things I can and will ask my doctor, but it helps to know a person's history with it as it makes it more 'real' to me. If you think there's anything else worth sharing that I might be missing, I'm certainly open to receiving more information. 

@bensmommy518 fingers crossed that we both come back negative and that we are just itchy for the next few weeks! 
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
  • Options
    In my experience, doctors only induce. When they induce seems to depend on how well the bile acids are controlled and how the NSTs go. 36-38 weeks seems to be the recognized standard of care as estrogen levels are tied to bile salts and estrogen increases rapidly around 37 weeks. However, on the FB group I am in, I did see some moms that mentioned home birth. I definitely don't think that is recommended. The FB group is called ICP Care/Itchy Moms and is a great resource. That being said, it's an open group so all your replies and posts will be visible to your friends.
  • Options
    I had it with my last pregnancy. I started to feel the symptoms at 35 weeks, was tested at 36 weeks, and then was diagnosed and induced at 37 weeks. By the time the test results came back I was far enough along to be induced so I didn't have to take any medications or anything.

The only way I could sleep at night was to take Tylenol PM and run my hands and feet under cold water until they were numb. By the time the numbness wore off the Tylenol had kicked in so I was usually able to sleep okay.
    There were several times I was so itchy that I was in tears because I just didn't know how to manage. I'm sorry you have to deal with that :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No advice, just wanted to say I hope your labs come back negative and that you get relief.  Sorry you are going through this.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    aceboom said:
    Omg! Just went to the doctor yesterday to get tested, I had I INSIST AND MAKE them draw blood to test me. I've been having the really light colored poo and itchy all over for a while. My stupid doctor was about to send me home after checking for rashes(there were none) and yellowing of my skin. So my results will be in by Thursday. I am scared. Yesterday I was livid with the doctor for being so relaxed and NOT empathetic or concerned. So hopefully me and baby Rachel will be ok. I wish you the best with all of this stress!
    This is sadly very common.  A lot of OBs are not familiar with the condition which is terrible.  Good for you for being an advocate for your baby.
  • Options
    Hmm, my hands and feet have been getting itchy, but then I also have quite swollen hands and feet (it's summer here) and have started to get restless legs especially at night. I have a couple of PUPPS rash marks on my tummy, but hands and feet, no rash, just itch!

Thanks for talking about this, I don't see the midwife till Monday, and I'm due on Monday, but I am going to be a little more aware of "symptoms" as I was just brushing all of these off, putting them under "big, fat, hot and pregnant".

I hope all of you are ok, and it's just stupid hormones making us all itchy! For those diagnosed, I wish you all the best too.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your support, it definitely helped to lessen the stress burden a little.
    Baby Boy #2
    Due Date 11/10/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"