July 2014 Moms

The Flu

First, a confession. I haven't gotten my flu shot yet. My OB scared me into thinking it was a good idea, but at my RE appointment the next day the RE said 'no', not with your immunological history. The high risk OB said yes, do it, but in deference to your OB lets wait until after the first trimester. Ok, so that's the background.

Now my husband has the flu. It started yesterday with a cough, then the chills, body aches, then extreme nausea and vomiting for hours, along with a 101.3 fever. When the vomiting started I left to spend the night at my mom's house in hopes that I wouldn't catch it. (feeling really bad that I couldn't stay and take care of him)

What the heck do I do if I catch that?! Should I go to the hospital if that starts up? The OB totally scared me saying that sometimes pregnant women die from the flu. Plus I just woke up from a dream that we lost the baby. Can the flu harm the baby?? Ugh...I'm freakin' :(

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The Flu

• *deference to my RE, not OB

FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!

• INmommy871278INmommy871278 member
    edited December 2013
    First off calm down for the sake of the baby, your stressing over potentially catching the flu will put stress on the baby too. Second, see what happens, you may have already built up an immunity for this specific strand of flu. If you get it keep hydrated call your doc and let them know what's going on and go from there. Good luck! FX that you don't get the flu!
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like your husband is sick, bur doesn't sound like the flu. Vomiting is not associated with the flu and he would probably have a higher temp.
    Still a good idea to stay away!
    Hope he's feeling better soon!
  • OMG we're in the same situtation! DH has been sick since Saturday with fever in 102's! He went to doctor yesturday and it's the flu. Lovely. His doctor said how he should stay away from us especially me in my 1st trimester...so unrealistic, no family around so it's still us all together though obviously handwashing, him not touching DD excessively, etc. I had my doc appointment yesterday too so I got the flu shot even though it's too late for this time I figure can't hurt (I substitute teach so if I don't catch it this time I wanted to be prepared for the rest of the season).

I made the mistake of googling flu & pregnancy...don't lol. It can be harmful to baby & you. They suggest first sign of real high fever get checked out to get on meds. Sadly today I'm starting to feel ill so not sure if it's just in my head or I'm getting it. I plan to rest lots, wash bedding/blankets/etc often, and drink lots fluids. I'll also be taking my temp quite often to look if it gets high. 

Good luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @allardr I'm so sorry you are starting to feel under the weather. Hoping it's just psychosomatic ;)

@reils500 I was wondering about the vomiting thing! Not the flu, huh? Interesting...but yeah, I agree, I still don't want to catch it, whatever it is!

DH just told me on the phone (I'm still at mom's house) he's feeling a little bit better. He said last night was the most miserable he's felt in many, many years. I simultaneously feel terrible for him and nervous for myself! :(

• Just remember that there is a difference between the "real" influenza and the thing we most often call the flu:24 hour stomach bug. I say that because what you read on the internet can be vastly different depending on which "one" you are researching

With that said: I just got over the flu - the 24 hour stomach bug kind. It was HORRIBLE!!!! Haven't had it in years, and when your pregnant it hits you good!! I was almost hospitalized because I couldn't keep any liquids down... Including water or meds! Thankfully before I made the decision to go in, I was keeping flat gingerale down and slowly went from there. I couldn't leave the couch though - the fever and aches were just terrible... Not to mention the diarrhea that forced me to leave the couch many times.

You don't want it ladies, trust me, so don't feel bad about trying to avoid getting it from your husbands.
  • Yeah- it sounds like your husband has a "stomach flu" not influenza. I think staying away for a bit regardless of what he has was smart.

As for the vaccine, that's a tough one. I have an autoimmune disorder and it ALWAYS flares when I get vaccinated. This is bad for the baby. On the other hand, we just had a young mother die here last month from H1N1. I'm still on the fence about the flu shot. I'm going to the doctor today for what I suspect is a UTI and plan to discuss it with him.

I hope your husband feels better soon!
    Married since June 2008

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    TTC Post Chemotherapy
    Unexplained Infertility

DH- SA Normal, Lap on 8/8/13
    BFP! 11/7/13 EDD 07/15/14 changed to 07/23/14 after first u/s

My Ovulation Chart

• @nicole33647 Yep, autoimmune issues here too. I am sitting there on the fence right next to you ;) Even after this scare with dh, I'm not sure if I want the shot. I just dont believe the vaccine producers predict the strain very well, so I could still end up with the flu, even if I get the shot (which causes it's own problems). Then I'd be double screwed! :/

• I agree with the differentiation mentioned. I always used cold/flu interchangably, well never again after this. 

Now I know the true Flu is so much worse than a 24 hour bug. A fever of over 102 for 3 days is soooo not good. Last  night his was actually at 103 after his first dose of Infuenza meds, but he took some tylenol and this morning DH is at 99! woohooo!

@Pregs I totally get not wanting the shot I have never gotten it before in my life. And probably won't again, I think it was the timing of it all this year and I was going to the doc anyway so I was scared and just got it lol
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was exposed to the flu during my first pregnancy before I got the shot. My doc prescribed me Tamiflu just as a precaution. Not sure if that would be an option for you, but you might call and ask.
  • Agree with above and I wouldn't feel bad about crashing at your mom's house. I'd do the same or at least occupy a guest bedroom.
  • I just got the flu two nights ago after getting the shot in august when it came out for this season ... Im 12w5d AWESOME i had a fever and all symptoms the ob put me on tamiflu and said to pump water. I feel like death. X(
    imageAll the food in the world right now...
  • Glad your DH is feeling a better! Sounds like he has a nasty bug.
  • I'm super worried about the flu. My husband is a type one diabetic with a highly comromised immune system, so if I get it, I'm not only risking my health and the baby's health, but also my husbands. He was supposed to get the shot a few months back but his doctor put it on his next appointment card in FEBRUARY. Talk about pointless! Anyway, I thought about the shot, but I still haven't decided... My next appointment is in three weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @mrsgeekypants I'm so sorry you feel like death. Just talked to dh and he said same thing. His fever is back up, this time 102.4! He says he's shivering under a stack of blankets :( I told him to take some more fever reducer (it's ben more than 4 hours since his last dose) so hopefully that will help. I feel so bad I'm not there to take care of him...he's so pitiful when he's sick. At least the barfing has stopped though!

• Regardless what type of "flu" he has, I would stay away until he has been temp free for at least 24hrs. Make sure you wash and sanitize the best you can and always wash your hands before you eat or touch your face until everything is back to normal. I would also highly suggest the flu shot. I understand medically you might not be able to get it, but your DH sure as heck should!! And anyone else around you for that matter.

Even if you have had the influenza flu during a season, getting the flu shot is still beneficial and necessary!

Good luck and stay healthy!!
  • I have bronchitis. Fever of 103+ and I've been to the Er twice. Definitely go at the onset of any symptoms. A friend of mine had flu like symptoms and a stomach virus and they admitted her into the hospital for two weeks! She only has 8 weeks to go before she delivers.
    I went at on set of symptoms and luckily caught this before it turned into pneumonia.

Best of luck to you and your baby. I'm 11 weeks today and my baby is fine with all my routine medicines (sudafed, robitussin, tessalon perles, azithromycin, tylenol, albuterol, prednisone) I'm takin this crap like clockwork. And it sucks. Really bad. So don't hesitate.
  • Wow, @mallanning, I sure hope you're feeling better soon!! That sounds like no fun at all :(

• I think PPs pretty much have you covered, but I'd like to include some fun facts:

First off, the stomach virus that is going around this year is a strain from Sydney that has been classified as a "super bug", and is dangerous for pregnant women.

The flu strain going around was *not* one of the strains that was included in this year's vaccine, so even if you were vaccinated you could still be at risk.

If you get any symptoms of flu at all, you need to get to the Dr. ASAP, because TamiFlu is only effective if administered within the first 24-48 hours after onset of symptoms. TamiFlu has been approved for use in pregnant women.

Like PP, I am dealing with Bronchitis right now. Thank God it isn't the flu, but I thought it was when I first started feeling sick. Can I also just complain for a second and say that the flu test was horrid and I'd rather have a Pap smear or dental work than do that again? ((Shudders))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh one last thought, even if the flu shot doesn't cover all the strains of flu, it can help to lessen the symptoms and course of these other flu strains. So the illness potentially won't be as serious as if you didn't have the flu shot. Plus different flu strains pop-up during different times during the season. But like anything, nothing's 100%!!
  • I think H1N1 (swine flu) is actually the dominant strain this year and was included in the vaccine. (H1N1 disproportionately kills pregnant women btw.) This is as reported by the CDC as of just before Xmas.
  • Wow, @mallanning, I sure hope you're feeling better soon!! That sounds like no fun at all :(

It is no fun. All I can do is lay in bed all day. All this started christmas eve. And it's still affecting me. I'm just happy my baby is okay.
  • @anna yep, flu test is the suck!
  • I've only ever had the flu ONCE, without the shot. EVERYTIME I get the shot though, I get the flu. I didn't get one with DD. I'll see how my doc feels about it this time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"