Babies on the Brain

...And so it begins...

Today I made the first phone call to the metabolic clinic to get some testing done regarding my chromosomal issues and to discuss DNA sequencing for me and DH to see if I have any other chromosomal mutations or if DH is a carrier for the disorder I have.

Looking like it will cost $1000. Boo. And again, my main concern is finding out if I need to adhere to the super-strict, soul-crushing, bland-as-fuck PKU diet prior to conceiving and during pregnancy.

I'm considering sending my parents a bill for passing on some pretty suspect genetics ;-)

TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
Me: 31  DH: 29
DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!

Re: ...And so it begins...

• H and I joke my parents are cousins. I have two rare disorders. Chances of having both (according to my MFM physician) was like 1 in a billion.
  • You could at least guilt trip them a bit.... 

However coming from a family with CF I find it annoying that you have to pay to make the conscious decision to have a healthy baby (which will cost an ins company less in the long run).  Insurance can't see more than 1 quarter ahead in their desire to make profits.
    Well-behaved women seldom make historyimage

• Loading the player...
  • H and I joke my parents are cousins. I have two rare disorders. Chances of having both (according to my MFM physician) was like 1 in a billion.

With those odds, I hope you're playing the lotto!

DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
  • krcran06 said:
    You could at least guilt trip them a bit.... 

However coming from a family with CF I find it annoying that you have to pay to make the conscious decision to have a healthy baby (which will cost an ins company less in the long run).  Insurance can't see more than 1 quarter ahead in their desire to make profits.
    I know. The doctor I spoke with said the DNA testing was recommended - well no shit, it's that or risk passing on a disorder to a child, which yes, WOULD cost tons of money for my ins company in insurance-covered formulas FOR LIFE (due to the nutritional requirements of the abnormality) as well as in office visits, etc. So stupid. Just because it isn't "diagnostic" it isn't covered.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"