Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Keeping in bedroom until sleep improves?

I know there are a lot of posts about sleep but I'm wondering if keeping my LO in our room until he sleeps better is a good decision? He's 7 months old, sleeps in his crib in our room and wakes up anywhere between 3-6 times a night. It's rough on us since we both work full time. I've thought about moving him into his own room but I'm not sure if that will help. He's not a light sleeper so we have no issues moving around the room when he's in there. When he's out he's out but he wakes up a lot a night. I try to soothe him but sometimes it's easier to nurse him back to sleep. I'm afraid if I move him it won't help and I will have to go further multiple times a night which means a lot less sleep then I'm already getting. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same? It seems like a lot of people have moved their LO ones out but I'm not sure if it will help our situation. Has this worked for others? I'm thinking once I can get him to wake up only once or twice than I will move him.

Re: Keeping in bedroom until sleep improves?

• It may be easier for you, but makes it harder for LO. He knows you are right there and might wake more often...
  • My kids have all done better once we moved the out and I have done better also.  That's just how it is for US.  I am too sensitive to all their snuffles and grunts and it seems they are also rather sensitive to us coming to bed and moving about and stuff.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I feel like I respond much too quickly to the baby when they are so close.  Mine have all moved out of my room between 4-5 months.  Once they are out of my room I don't hear EVERY SINGLE GRUMBLE and so they put themselves back to sleep without me more and more.

• I feel like I respond much too quickly to the baby when they are so close.  Mine have all moved out of my room between 4-5 months.  Once they are out of my room I don't hear EVERY SINGLE GRUMBLE and so they put themselves back to sleep without me more and more.

THIS exactly. We moved LO out at 6 months ( after 3 failed attempts at 3, 4 and 5 months). Everyone sleeps better and longer now. It's tough at first, but no different than all the other sleep transition/regressions she has gone thru.

• It's not going to make a difference in his sleep, it might, but not likely. Why not try it and see?? He's a baby and sleep sucks at this age. That's just how it is. I found that my husband and I much enjoyed it better once DS was in his own room
  • I'm mostly a lurker, but thought I'd chime in. My LO has been in her own room since 10 weeks, and was waking 3-5 times a night until undecided to turn the sound off on our monitor. I can still hear he if she really cried. It turns out she can put herself back to sleep. She has been sleeping through the night ever since and that was over a month ago.
    Having your LO in their own room may keep you from responding to every little thing and you may find that your LO is able to self soothe.
    Honestly, turning the sound off on the monitor is one of the best things I've done (I have a video monitor so i can still see her to make sure she's ok).
  • edited December 2013
    LO started waking every hour or more around 5 months. At 6.5 we moved him to his own room. We did some very mild sleep training and now he only wakes once per night to nurse. Our pedi said babies can smell mama's milk and it can wake them wanting to nurse.

I had really wanted to keep LO in our room for a year, but he is sleeping soooo much better now.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just moved LO to his room like two weeks ago at 7,5 months and sleep trained at the same time. It was hard transition (mostly for parents) but we survived. LO still cries every time he goes to bed but he STTN. I started to sleep better, too, as I don't wake up at every whimper. Now everybody gets some sleep. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • @shoecrazysarah @NDarya

What type of sleep training did you do?

I'm not a fan of CIO. We have tried it and it doesn't work for us. My guy ends up getting even more upset and it wakes him up even more. 
  • We did Ferber method. I couldn't handle it, so, my DH was in charge. DS started to STTN on the second night but he still cries a lot (somewhere between 15-30 min) when put down idk why. I hope he'll get over it soon. It's very hard to hear him crying. I'm still against CIO deep inside me but it works and improved DS's sleep dramatically. And I'm glad we transitioned him to his room as everybody gets sleep now. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • @shoecrazysarah @NDarya

What type of sleep training did you do?

I'm not a fan of CIO. We have tried it and it doesn't work for us. My guy ends up getting even more upset and it wakes him up even more. 
    We did very abbreviated Ferber. I was totally against CIO, but my LO really started to suffer from the lack of sleep. I would have never done CIO for myself and I was severely sleep deprived. I was getting about 3 hours of sleep in about 30 minute increments. I never let him cry longer then 10 min, as I personally feel if LO is crying longer then they he prob has a genuine need.

I still nurse him to sleep. The first night I nursed him to sleep and he woke an hour later. I let him cry for 5 minutes then went and comforted without picking him up. His crying did get worse and I left the room after 5 minutes. Another 3 minutes passed and he fell asleep. He slept for 4 hours at which point I nursed him back to sleep.

Now if he wakes hr usually only fussed/cries for less then 5 minutes before he is back to sleep.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would definitely at least try it. I also respond way to quickly with him in our room, so I ended up out in the living room most nights. Since we moved him out of our room, he is only waking once per night. It has been better for all of us.
  • We've gently sleep trained all 3 of ours and they've all slept through the night just wonderfully. 

Our DD had to be trained for the intitial put down so we would set a timer for 15 min and if she was still upset we'd go back in and do the whole routine again basically.  She rarely got to 15 min. 

Our middle DS we had to train for the middle of the night but not the initial put down.  I did CIO with him since it was a binkie issue.  Worked very quickly.

With our 3rd we didn't have to do much at all really.  I had already been putting him to bed awake for both naps and night so every great once in a while he'll cry for 2-3 min but we know enough to let it be unless he escalates and then we'll attend by just rebinking and rubbing his back and leaving again. 

• I thank it's ok I have 3 kids and they all slept in are bed intel they fill asleep. My 4 year old will get in my bed for a little bit and go to his bed. So does my 2 year old. My 9 month old will not go to sleep with out being in my bed I move him to his when he fall asleep. Don't thank its a bad thing to do. Thank all moms do it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"