2nd Trimester

Pregnancy insomnia

Has it hit you yet?
I'm so tired when I fall asleep, yet I can only sleep for 3-4 hours at a time. I wake up and can't get back to sleep. So exhausting. I think my body's preparing to be on a newborn sleep schedule.

Re: Pregnancy insomnia

• I don't have insomnia per se, but I wake up every night several hours after falling asleep with terrible itchiness on my feet and legs that keeps me awake (or in a fitful sleep) for the rest of the night :( I've tried a lot of stuff for it without success so far. Finally have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow and really hoping they can figure out what is causing it so I can sleep through the night again (other than getting up 1-2 times a night to pee). It's so frustrating being exhausted and tired all the time, and I worry about getting sick from a compromised immune system due to the lack of good sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • i take a half of a unisom at night at it helps me sleep through the night:)  might be worth a shot!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm exhausted when I go to sleep and then if I sleep for four hours straight it's great. Last night I was wide awake about 2am and I think I finally fell back around 4:15, only for my alarm to go off at 6:10.
    My friend who just had a baby last month had "warned" me! Lol. She said the same thing - she thinks it's our body preparing us for what's to come.
  • I also seem to have restless leg syndrome - that isn't helping my sleep either.
  • I am experiencing the same thing and have two kids at it is so lack of sleep if quite frustrating. I will feel tired all day until it comes time for bed time and then I feel wide awake. I did read that insomnia is mother nature's way of preparing us to be up with our babies once they are born. But I sure do miss sleep, I guess I should get used to it lol!!
  • I had it with DS1 it sucked. I just powered through. I actually got more sleep with a newborn then I did when pregnant if that is any help.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the same thing, I wake up at 3 am on the dot and have a hard time falling back asleep. My midwife mentioned that it could actually be hunger and suggested keeping a little snack with some protein in it by bed. I have tried that the past few nights and it does seem to help! and its calories that go straight to the baby since we aren't using them to move around and function.Its worth a shot! I hope you can get some sleep either way!
  • I was up at 2:10 am this morning and fell back asleep 40 minutes before my alarm went off. And I'm also experiencing restless leg symptoms- feels like I constantly need to stretch my legs. It totally sucks.

• Bklyn75 said:
    I was up at 2:10 am this morning and fell back asleep 40 minutes before my alarm went off. And I'm also experiencing restless leg symptoms- feels like I constantly need to stretch my legs. It totally sucks.
    SAME HERE. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I couldn't fall asleep until like 1-2 and I kept waking up all night. Then by the time I had to get up for work I was awake but physically exhausted

BabyFruit Ticker
    *~*Landon Robert Montoya*~*
  • {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Oh my goodness! I thought it was just me! How far along is everyone? I'm 13 weeks - sounds like it's not going to get any better then as most of you are probably further along than me.

I have always been a solid sleeper so this has been very difficult on me. I tried a unisom for the first time last night - I still woke up several times but I went right back to sleep whereas before id wake up & not be able to do that. So unisom may be my friend ... I just don't want to rely on it.
  • I tend to wake up during the night and I'm much more sensitive to my husband's snoring when I try to go back to sleep.  Thankfully, I've still been getting a decent number of hours on most nights.
  • My sleep pattern lately has been HORRIBLE! I'm usually up until 4 in the morning and that's when I have to force myself to sleep. Someone mentioned Tylenol PM to me but I never tried it yet. My OB suggested taking short naps during the day but I haven't taken a nap lately and I still have insomnia
  • I have been up since 2:30. It's a little past 4. I am laying in bed and this is awful and all I want to do is sleep and/or clean. Ahhhh!!!
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • I'm struggling just to get to sleep. When I do fall asleep I feel like it's by even a deep sleep and then I have to get up for work soon. It really blows
  • I actually have chronic insomina -- and have had since childhood -- and I'm generally sleeping better now, although my patterns have def. changed. Much more likely to fall asleep early and wake up early than my usual nightowl patterns. (I too have wondered if this isn't prep for caring for a baby.)

If you need it, my doc did say there are a number of sleep medications, both OTC and prescription, that are safe to take.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"