Stay at Home Moms

If you sew...

Where do you buy fabric? Are there any secret tricks or places for getting it for a good price? 

There are two stores in my area that are specifically fabric stores, but they're expensive... I mean, it would cost me more to sew a duvet cover than to just buy one from Walmart. I'd love to be sewing more, but I can't often bring myself to justify making something that I could just buy for less. 

So, where do you get your fabric? Any tips? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you sew...

• I've found some good vintage fabric at estate or garage sales. And there's a thrift store in the town my parents live in that usually has fabric remnants. I would think eBay probably has some deals, too. You could also make a duvet cover from two different sheets that coordinate with each other.

But honestly, I've found the same problem with sewing - considering how cheap clothing and fabric goods are in the US, making your own can be more expensive than buying.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I am not fancy, I usually buy my fabric at Joann Fabric with a coupon.  There is also a store here called Calico Corner that has nice fabric.

I have also found that it is cheaper to buy than to make myself.  However, I have been searching for pillows for my living room for 6 months, and haven't found anything that works.  I am going to end up making them.  It would be cheaper to buy, but this way I can choose my material.  The same goes for DS's valance. Most the valances I find are unlined, which I think is a cheap way of making them.  This way I get the quality I want. 

I found it really hard to find cute boy clothes for DS.  When he was smaller I liked dressing him in john johns.  For his baptism, I wanted a smocked christening gown.  You just can't find them here, so I had my mom sew them.  

I guess the beauty of sewing now is not necessarily the cost savings, but the customization.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our Walmarts have a sewing section with tons of fabric. Have you checked yours?
  • There are a lot of places online that are cheaper than actual stores.  If you have a fabricland, it can be expensive but with a membership and the sales they have on all the time, you can usually find a pretty good deal.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I almost always go to JoAnn Fabrics.  Since I'm on their mailing list, I get good coupons and use them wisely.  For example, from January 5-7 I have a coupon for an additional 25% off of my purchase which includes sale items.  I have NEVER bought fabric that was not on sale.  Many times the fabric is 50% off already.  You'll just have to watch the sales.

The other place I go is Hancock Fabric.  I just prefer JoAnn's.

• Joann Fabric also has text coupons you can get on your phone, which works well for me - I never remember to bring coupons with, and this way they're on my phone.

Super Buzzy has cute Japanese fabric, but it isn't cheap.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Ditto Joann's with a coupon.  They have a pretty large selection and you can double up coupons, or, if I'm not in a rush, I'll go a couple days in a row and use the mobile coupons each time.  I do agree that a lot of times it's cheaper to just buy the items, but it really depends on what it is.  Clothes, yes.  Household things, eh.  Like, I made our cloth napkins because sure, the plain ones are cheap, but I could never find a pattern I liked.  So instead I just bought fabric I loved and sewed them myself.  
  • I don't sew, but MIL quilts. She looks at JoAnn Fabric but usually gets her fabrics for quilting from quilt stores. Some are very expensive, $10+ a yard! JoAnn seems to have better prices but not the type of prints she goes for.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • I'm spoiled and like to buy mine from small local quilt stores. I make it a point to look them up wherever we go oot.

For online Bloomeriefabric.com is one of my favorites. They have quality stuff and great sales

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Thanks you guys! Great ideas :) We don't have a JoAnne's here... bummer. But I'll look into some of the other suggestions. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Joanns and Hancocks have sales a lot. Sometimes you can find fun patterns on their discount tables/bins too. I don't generally need to purchase yards of fabric though, since I make a lot of diapers and suck pads and bibs, etc., I just need like a 1/4 to 1/2 a yard, so the remnant bins are perfect. I found this cute little Etsy shop I love too called Stitch Stash Diva. They have awesome patterns and you can customize your order (like 3 1/2 yards of different patterns, etc.) They have a little rewards program as well. I found bolts of PUL at Tuesday Morning yesterday too! An entire bolt for the same price as one yard at JoAnns. I was giddy. :) I bought 3 bolts with my Christmas money people gave me!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I bought fabric for curtains from fabric.com. It ended up being about $6.50 per yard which was really good I thought. It's really tedious looking online and you obviously can't feel the fabric, but since I was just making curtains, the texture didn't matter to me. I ditto JoAnn's and Hancock.
  • I am lucky enough to live near a metro area with a huge wholesale fabric district, and pre-twins I always went there for what I needed. It was harder with DS but not impossible, and now with the babies it's just not worth the savings. I stick with Joann's and a local store called Momen+, and occasionally I'll buy online. I got the polar bear fabric for the nursery on Etsy from like four different sellers because it was out of print.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"