Adoption

Need Advice: Temporary Foster Care benefits

I am getting nowhere with asking the social workers at my agency for advice, so I thought I could check in with all of you wise foster & adoptive parents here! Do any of you have experience with how to get benefits (food, health insurance, etc.) for temporary foster care of children?

We've had placement of a newborn for over 2 months now and still there is no court date scheduled for TPR.  Technically we are foster parents and could be for the foreseeable future since our state gives 6 months to birth parents before a permanent decision must be made.  I KNOW there are benefits available for families who foster and am feeling frustrated that our agency just brushes off my questions when I ask what I need to do to find more info.  They kind of make me feel stingy and cheap for asking about it and just say that families they work with don't usually get any state assistance.  Seriously, with the cost of adoption, any little bit financial help is welcome, especially if this child should be receiving support through these programs while he's in foster care.  Am I out of line here?  Is it even worth the time and effort to continue to pursue this?

I've called the WIC program and our state health insurance program but ended at dead ends because my name isn't listed on his case file and they can't give out more info to me about what he's eligible for or enrolled in. I want to follow up with my agency about this but feel like I need to get my act together and know exactly what I should be asking for.  Any advice? 
TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need Advice: Temporary Foster Care benefits

• From what I read infants usually qualify for WIC but every foster child should get Medicaid. I can't believe they expect you to pay for health insurance yourself.
  • I think at this point I would call the Social Worker myself at the courthouse. Someone in the foster world should be able to tell you what you need to do! If you can't get anywhere there because you're not listed as a foster parent, I would start seeking advice from an attorney as technically, if the courts don't have you listed as a foster parent, then WHO does?! 

I would also request to speak with the director at your agency and see what there is that you can do to correct this situation.
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Loading the player...
  • You should speak to the baby's worker. At least in my county/local agency all of my foster kids have been provided WIC, some sort of health insurance and usually an initial clothing allowance as well as a monthly check to purchase things needed for the child. If you get no where with the childs worker then you need to go to a supervisor, you should be getting some help. Even a simple letter stating you have physical custody will get you an appointment with WIC. Good luck!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • are you working with a private agency or a state agency?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

TTC since 2005
    missed miscarriage nov 2006- 4 failed clomid cycles-
    3 failed femara iui cycles-
    moving on to IVF oct 2011
    ER nov. 7th
    tansfered 2 blasts on 11/10
    lots of +hpt!!
    beta #1 on 11/21= 50.4
    beta #2 on11/23= 90.8
    another miscarriage 12/23
    moving on to Round 2 of IVF with an auto immune dx
    ER 4/23-retrieved 12 eggs
    ET 4/28 3 transfered
    Beta #1- 356
    Beta #2- 870

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Are you considered foster parents? I know in florida you have to be a foster parent to have a placement so if that is the case the licensing agency should have arranged the monthly stipends.

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • Well that's frustrating!! Are you the official foster placement? Here FKs get Medicaid, WIC and a monthly stipend for expenses plus title 20 daycare vouchers if needed. Very strange that you are totally on your own. We had these at our disposal immediately. I'd talk to a supervisor ASAP. Good luck!
    Declan 8.25.08
    Lincoln 3.18.11
    Brooks 7.7.12

• Thanks everyone for your advice & comments. 

We have been licensed as a foster home (have a certificate & can care for one child) and we had to sign a notarized agreement to do temporary foster care when we took placement of him. We are working with a private agency that facilitates adoptions and are only fostering with the intent to adopt this child. I don't know if that makes a difference with benefits or not...  Anyways, the social worker that I've been trying to get help from is the director of the agency, so I'm just going to call someone at the state on Monday to make sure we're actually doing things the correct way here. I am getting the feeling that this agency doesn't really do much with foster care and doesn't want to put in any effort to help us figure it out.

I feel like I'm going behind the agency's back by calling the state.  I don't want to cause problems with them right now, especially since we are relying on their social workers to provide counseling to the BM. 
  • Did you do your license through the private agency or the county?  If you did it though the county, you might want to start there.  Our county licensing person was very helpful setting up our benefits.  In our county in CA we get WIC, Medicaid, Monthly stipend and an initial clothing allowance.  And you should be able to use your agreement to do temporary foster care to set up a WIC appointment.   
  • A foster child is in the "legal custody" of the state and therefore the caseworker is primarily responsible for getting all that set up,ie. monthly stipend, initial clothing allowance, health insurance card etc....
  • Whatever documents you signed for being the foster parents should be sufficient for WIC and Medicaid. All of this should be set up with your agency worker. Are they a state contractor for foster care and licensing?
  • You said technically? Is this a friends and family foster situation. I know in Florida they are treated differently.
    Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
    TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
    12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
    Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
    SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

• So I ended up going in to meet face to face with someone from the county's health & human services.  They were able to set us up with some WIC formula for the baby which is at least a little bit of help.

I guess the mix up over health insurance came from our agency telling us to put him on our own health insurance right away when he came home with us.  So that means we are paying for him to have our health insurance and the state is ALSO paying for health insurance for him through their program too.  Such a mess!

@daniandbri - we didn't know the birthfamily until the agency matched us. I had gone into this thinking that we were somehow not "real" foster parents since we were intending to adopt in the end. 

All of this is making me realize how little I actually knew about fostering & adopting in our state!  I thought I could just trust our agency to help us navigate this system but am finding out that's just not the case. 
  • I'm not really sure how that works my only experience with fostering (although we hoped to adopt) is via the state system where the primary goal is reunification which sounds very different from what you are doing. Sending prayers that things settle out and make some sense soon.
    Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
    TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
    12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
    Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
    SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"