August 2014 Moms
Options

I think we might bite the bullet... and get a minivan. Need advice!

Anyone here drive a minivan or plan to get one after birth?

I have driven a Honda CRV for the last 10 years and planned to continue, but it's inching closer to 200K miles and DH is pushing to get a newer car with baby#3 on the way. This weekend we test drove the Honda Pilot, the Toyota Highlander, a GMC Acadia, a Toyota Sienna and a Honda Odyssey.

With three in carseats, I didn't feel like the SUVs offered enough space in the third row plus storage. It looks like we may be leaning toward either the Sienna or Odyssey minivans. Kind of makes me shudder, because I don't consider myself a minivan type of person. But, we need the space and I want something that will make my life with three kids easier. Anyone have any recommendations??

If you have a van, do you like it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

Re: I think we might bite the bullet... and get a minivan. Need advice!

• Options
    I bought a used 2010 Odyssey this last March and I absolutely LOVE IT.  I've always HATED minivans and swore I would never drive one, but even with 1 kid they are just so damn convenient! I love my minivan.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Options
    I plan to get a mini van or a mini suv after the birth of #2. My hatchback JUST barely fits me, DH, DS, and our two 70lb dogs on day trips. Forget luggage. It'll continue to work for me, DH, and two kids but if we ever want to bring the dogs too we'll need a bigger back up car.

I have no advice, but I'll continue to watch this thread. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We needed a new car around Thanksgiving and got an Odyssey even though I didn't even know I was pregnant with #2 yet (we were TTC, though). LOVE. We originally planned on an SUV but found the minivan so much more practical -- the backseat is way more comfortable for adults PLUS it has way more storage. And it gets 26 MPG on the highway as compared to ~16 for many of the SUVs we were looking at.

I wasn't that excited driving it home, but have grown to love it more and more ever since. DH regularly remarks on how convenient it is. We drove 4 adults and 2 giant car seats comfortably last month (took SIL, BIL, and nephew to the Santa Train with us). We've also done a 4.5 hour road trip from outside Seattle to outside Portland and it was a great road trip vehicle. A major shopping trip, even IKEA, is NBD. It can fit tons of stuff, plus has so many great family friendly features like automatic doors.

I don't know many women who *do* consider themselves minivan people, but after test driving it, I was convinced that maybe all those soccer moms were onto something. After owning one, we'll probably never go back until our current and future kids are nearly grown.

• Options
    Can't edit, but wanted to add that I talked with several moms who had minivans and they all raved about the practicality, even given their dowdy looks/reputation. It's a car designed specifically for families so all the features line up with things I want/need. The Odyssey and Sienna have been neck and neck for a long time. I personally prefer this generation Odyssey to this generation Sienna, but they're both supposed to be great.
  • Options
    I love my grand caravan! Best decision ever.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Eventually all 3 of your kids will be forward facing in their car seats and the most important part of forward facing us using the top tether. Make sure whatever you get has enough top tether points (I know the Pilot and Odyssey do)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    I have a town and country and love it!
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I have a Jeep Liberty and it works fine for me, my husband, my 4 year old and 2 bostons, while still kicking major ass.
    image  image image

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Chrysler town and country and freaking love it. It was between that and a Chevy traverse for me but the minivan was so much cheaper and got so much more for the money it was a no brainer. I've got all the bells and whistles...keyless entry, dual DVD, remote start, heated seats and steering wheel. Love!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • Options
    Im in the same boat - I so don't want a van but think I'm going to have to bite the bullet :( I was leaning toward the Sienna but it sounds like the Odyssey is the favorite here!
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    shevaCCshevaCC member
    edited December 2013
    MamaBovs said:

Im in the same boat - I so don't want a van but think I'm going to have to bite the bullet :(
    I was leaning toward the Sienna but it sounds like the Odyssey is the favorite here!

Come over to the dark side! You won't regret it. I don't think I've met a mom of young children with a minivan who still thought "gee, I really wish I got the SUV instead" after experiencing how practical/comfortable they are. I mean I loved my mazda3 but it wasn't going to cut it for family road trips with multiple children.
  • Options
    We will be getting a van before baby comes too, so I am loving this post! My brother, who is 25 and doesn't have children or any plans for them in the near future, just bought a Dodge Caravan because it holds all his biking things better. I am really jealous of it. haha. Never would have thought that would ever happen. 

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• Options
    I don't drive one, but several of my friends drive a VW minivan (what the heck is it called? Routan?). and they love it, I remember them both saying like they felt they got more for their money with VW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm seriously anti minivan. My DH keeps talking about an Odyssey. It's not going to happen though. We'll get a Pilot instead. We're not in the market for one right now so we've got time to bicker about it.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    Another huge Odyssey fan here. We don't own one, but we've borrowed one several times for vacation, and they are nothing short of amazing. 
    Like many PP, I never considered myself a minivan mom until I drove one and realized how truly practical they are! 
    Someone mentioned something about the tether points....I read somewhere that the Odyssey has more than the Sienna, but that's definitely something to double check. 
    I'm hoping we'll be able to afford the Odyssey. This next child forces us into getting a new car, as three carseats will not fit in either of our current cars. 
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    Thank you for this post!

We are in the market for new vehicle once we finish paying it off in April. We have a crossover/mini SUV at the moment and while I love it, it is not going to cut it.

I was debating the Acadia but with three kids under two a mini van might be better. I kinda want to cry though.
    DX: MFI and RPL
    C born 29/11/10- became an angel 12/04/11 
    R born 11/10/12
    12 pregnancy losses. 
  • Options
    DH works for enterprise and highly suggests renting your top 2 choices for a week after friends of ours bought a minivan and it didn't fit in their garage
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"