1st Trimester
Options

First appointment tomorrow- what to expect?

I have my first appointment tomorrow, like first one ever. I called Friday telling them that I thought I was pregnant and she said that they should get me in to double check. What all can I expect for tomorrow? I haven't had a period since November 13th or around there somewhere. Just didn't know if they would do more than the blood work?

Thanks in advance ladies.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First appointment tomorrow- what to expect?

• Options
    It depends on the office. My first visit , they did a urine test and I met with the nurse for a consult. That was it until I was ten weeks
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember from when I was pregnant with DS, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not all OBs do a beta test to check to see if it's doubling, so I think there's a chance you may not have bloodwork done at all. If you haven't had a pap smear in a year, they will likely do one. You'll pee in a cup for a pregnancy test and to look for proteins (I think) in your urine. You'll likely have a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm the presence of the baby and heartbeat. You probably won't be able to hear the heartbeat, but you should be able to see it.

Am I.missing/forgetting/adding anything?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ErikaLynn75ErikaLynn75 member
    edited December 2013
    At my first appointment, I filled out paperwork, peed in a cup and asked the doctor all my questions. Most likely you will not have an ultrasound. If they determine that it's necessary to do one for dating, they will probably schedule another appointment for it. 

ETA: My first appointment was surprisingly uneventful. It was really just about sharing information and meeting the doctor, and it only lasted about 15 minutes. No exam of any sort. I'm not trying to be negative, but just don't be disappointed if nothing much happens.
    BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
    Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • Options
    i was about 10 weeks at my first appt. and yes, they did do bloodwork. and a urine test. and a pap smear. and lot of chatting. mainly just medical history and basic pregnancy health stuff. and my doc answered the millions of questions i had. didn't get a transvaginal u/s but i guess i was just far enough along for a normal u/s.

it seems like i was a bit farther along that you are. so this may not happen for you til your next appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    All these are helpful thanks guys! Just wanted a little heads up of what could happen tomorrow! How long is it for the results of the urine or blood work?

• Options
    For pregnancy #1, I hadn't had a period for 2 months so they got me in right away. I ended up being only 6 weeks along because I have really wacky cycles. They did an u/s to date the pregnancy, a pap smear, urine sample, STD test, and a lot of paperwork. I came in 2 weeks later to make sure baby was growing, so just another u/s.

At 12 weeks, they did the NT scan and blood work.

I'm going to a new OB for this pregnancy, and they will see me at 7-8 weeks (not sure how far along I am this time, either). They do an u/s, blood work, a pap, urine sample, and paperwork at this visit, and will see me again at 12 weeks for the NT scan if I want one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    All these are helpful thanks guys! Just wanted a little heads up of what could happen tomorrow! How long is it for the results of the urine or blood work?

I think it probably varies. Ask your doctor. At my doctor, no news is good news, so I never found out when the results were in. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
    Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • Options
    ErikaLynn75 That's true, thats what my doctor tells me when I have anything done really. 

• Options
    Is there anyway at all today they can tell me how far along I am even if I just do paperwork? I guess I am just anxious, I know I am asking silly questions but this is my first pregnancy and I like to hear from real people with real situations not articles on google. 

• Options
    @funnibunni80 thanks for all your help! I just don't know all the scientific stuff for all this. I have a lot to learn! We had just said if it happens, it happens. So now it's happened and I need to learn! lol.

• Options
    It depends on your OB office. Mine does transvaginal ultrasound to make sure the due date is correct and see and hear the heartbeat, pap smear, a bunch of other tests (hiv, std etc), took blood, and goes over all the basics of the pregnancy, family history etc. and gives you all the info you need. Its the longest appointment!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like others have said, it depends on your OB. I had my first appointment with DS at 8 weeks and peed in the cup, had a pap smear, paperwork and a transvaginal u/s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyName Ticker Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Went today. Everything went great. I peed in a cup, asked a few questions and got a Pap smear. Estimated date is August 18th. Will get my first ultrasound on the 16th (my husbands birthday) so we are definitely excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"