Breastfeeding

Weird habit starting

When bfing lo, who is 4 mo, she started trying to suck her thumb while bfing. Anyone else experience this? Why do you think she does this? I pull her thumb out but is there anything else I can do?

Re: Weird habit starting

• Following. My 5 1/2mo is doing the same thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ds is 9.5 months and has been doing that since around 6 months.  I usually just hold his hand so he can't put fingers in his mouth, or wrap a blanket around his torso so his arm is trapped under the blanket while nursing.  Ds does it more when nursing the left but sometimes does so on the right. 

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, he started around 4 months doing this! 4 months was a hard time for BF - lots of changes (some for the good, like getting really efficient but we also had some rough days too) 

I honestly don't know why he does this (sometimes he still does it) but I suspected it was teething or needing to pacify for comfort but didn't want any milk. Not too sure.  Not sure what else you can do other than to pull her thumb out of his mouth and re-offer the breast... sometimes I just let him suck for a few seconds and then he takes the boob again on his own. See what happens if you just let her suck for a bit?

• DD went through a phase of sucking her fingers while nursing. It didn't last long.
  • LO tries to do this. She started it late (like @ 11 months). She usually does it at the beginning of the session. I pull her thumb out and hold her hand. Once the let down happens she forgets about her thumb and will nurse.
  • Yes...my LO does this while sucking on her bink, drinking from a bottle and breast feeding. It can get a tad annoying when trying to feed. But as PP said, I usually just hold her hand down or out of the way
  • What about giving LO something to hold onto while nursing? Your hand, a pacifier, a favorite toy, etc. I've heard that helps with wandering hands. GL!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"