February 2014 Moms

GBS test S/O post, PSA, question

inluv4life2inluv4life2 member
edited December 2013 in February 2014 Moms

I have not tried this yet but my doula recommended washing with Hibiclens a few days before the GBS test. I have mine on Thursday so I am going to wash tomorrow morning. Anyone else heard of this?

ETA: She also recommended using it once a week for the rest of the pregnancy.

I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!

Re: GBS test S/O post, PSA, question

• I've never heard of that. I'd be afraid of it stinging!!

I am scared of that, too!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Did she say why? That's weird to me

Kills bacteria.

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Loading the player...
  • bribbon said:

Sorry, not meaning to snark. What would be the point, though? I doubt a safe amount could possibly wipe out GBS, no way. This is one test you definitely don't want to fake out by temporarily reducing your bacterial counts if you're positive.

Totally valid point, I think it's not supposed to be a fake out but preventative. She actually said I should have been using it all along and you continue weekly until delivery. Drs use it for pre surgery hand scrub so it's probably tough stuff. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this or if it's just her opinion.

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • I went to doula "school" and I've never heard of it. Sounds scary. I'll just stick to normal soap and water.
  • Seems like that would really mess with your natural vaginal flora. The good bacteria is there for a reason, plus you don't want to cause a YI or whatever. It sounds iffy to me- if there was good evidence to support this wouldn't it be a standard rec?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• HIbiclens is 4% CHG, and every 4% CHG I have ever been exposed to says not to use it in the genital area.

• Hmm. The weblink for HIBICLENS actually says clearly "Do not use...in the genital area".

I'd be wary of anything that might wipe out my normal flora - we should have some bacteria on our skin...

soap and water for this girl!
    formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • I would think it's safer to just be tested positive and be treated during labor, it's not a huge deal. Just antibiotics in your IV.
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"