September 2012 Moms
Options

How do I get my 1 yr old to eat veggies??

It's not that she doesn't like them. I think its a texture thing. Any ideas on what has worked for you?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How do I get my 1 yr old to eat veggies??

• Options
    I wish I could help. My LO doesn't like them either. Not too long ago, she finally started to eat green beans. This was the first time that she actually shoveled them into her mouth and enjoyed them. Other than that, she likes black eyed peas. I just continue to offer them to her and hope one day she will eat them and enjoy them like she did with the green beans recently.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2.0 is on the way! EDD: 2/24/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I could help. My LO doesn't like them either. Not too long ago, she finally started to eat green beans. This was the first time that she actually shoveled them into her mouth and enjoyed them. Other than that, she likes black eyed peas. I just continue to offer them to her and hope one day she will eat them and enjoy them like she did with the green beans recently.

Same here. Until then, I give him a veggie pouch once a day so at least I know he's getting some in him.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hide them when possible, but don't stop offering.  DS2 doesn't always eat his, but I always offer them.  I want him to always see them even if he doesn't eat them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mssm2012 said:
    Hide 'em! Peas & carrots in soup. Cheese sauce on broccoli. Sneak spinach into baked dishes (lasagna, etc).
    This... if you cook the veggies into food like soup or omelets or casserole, it will often change the texture and taste slightly.  DD1 has never turned down a veggie that has been cooking with chicken broth.  I slipped some green beans and bell peppers into our goulash the other day and it was delicious.  DD1 doesn't hate veggies anyway, but it won't usually be the first food on her tray that she eats, so I also give her the veggies first when she's hungriest, and give her the rest of her food after she's eaten some.
  • Options
    I put veggies in a breakfast smoothie. I can literally hide an entire zucchini in a blueberry smoothie and she doesn't notice. 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    mssm2012 said:

Hide 'em!

Peas & carrots in soup.
    Cheese sauce on broccoli.
    Sneak spinach into baked dishes (lasagna, etc).

Yeah that doesn't work for my kid. He goes "blech!" And rips them out if his mouth. Smoothies are the only way to hide them for me.

• Options
    We offer at lunch and dinner and then give a pouch once a day to supplement.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My LO refuses almost everything.  We're in the same boat.

• Options

I put veggies in a breakfast smoothie. I can literally hide an entire zucchini in a blueberry smoothie and she doesn't notice. 

Recipe? ;;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Recipe? ;;)
    I make a huge one because I drink it too ;)

one cup greek yogurt
    one zucchini
    frozen blueberries (I never measure I just put lots in!)
    apple sauce to sweeten 

From there, you can add whatever you want! more fruit, some banana, a little orange juice... but those are the four main ingredients I always use :)

ETA I forgot... you'll need a little water in there to smooth it up. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    Awesome! DS1 always begs me for a smoothie. We may try this out soon. @BillyMollyEmmy
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I offer veggies as an appetizer before dinner, when I know DD is really hungry. This has seemed to work over the last couple weeks. I also hide them in soups, omlettes, and lasagnas. If all else fails, I put cheese on them, because cheeses makes everything taste better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We keep offering them, even if they don't get eaten. Dip is the new thing in our house though. W will eat almost anything if he has something to dip it in. We usually use hummus, plain greek yogurt or tzatziki. Occasionally we will do ketchup or BBQ sauce, but I try not to since they are higher in sugar.
  • Options
    mssm2012 said:
    Recipe? ;;)
    I make a huge one because I drink it too ;)

one cup greek yogurt
    one zucchini
    frozen blueberries (I never measure I just put lots in!)
    apple sauce to sweeten 

From there, you can add whatever you want! more fruit, some banana, a little orange juice... but those are the four main ingredients I always use :)

ETA I forgot... you'll need a little water in there to smooth it up. 
    Do you use a raw or cooked zucchini?
    I just cut it up and throw it in there raw. I also switch it up for kale and spinach sometimes. It's tasteless in a smoothie. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options
    My kid eats pretty well, so maybe my 'tips' are useless.

I give her veggies first when she's really hungry. She sits there with them for 5-10 min. I try different things - sometimes she thinks in a bowl or cup is cool, sometimes I set a lid on top and she's amused to open it and eat them. Sometimes I line up 3 green beans in a row and repeat when she eats those 3 (too many on her tray and she won't touch then - wtf?).

Lately she thinks it's cool to stand on her kitchen helper stool and eat veggies as appetizers before we sit her down for dinner. She eats while watching me cook, which she likes better than not having something to watch.

Anyway, I do veg first, then protein, then whatever is tastier after. If the meat is bland, she gets that first haha.

I can't have anything good in sight or she'll whine for an upgrade. It took awhile for DH to realize she won't eat peas when there are grapes on the table. Fruit is dessert, period. We give her some about an hour after she's done with dinner and running around. She was anticipating it and boycotting dinner, so we stripped it from the dinner routine.

If she doesn't eat, she gets dismissed from dinner and does boring stuff with me (housework) while she builds up an appetite.

Here is what W thinks:
    Canned green beans >>> fresh steamed, however long whole green beans are an exception.

Corn, frozen corn/carrots/peas are good (cooked). Frozen peas left frozen are hilarious and get gobbled. Sweet potato is neat if I bake and cut cubes, then put them back in the skin for her to pull out. Cooked carrots, zucc, and squash are wins. The bigger the better - so strips of zucc vs circles. She really likes seasoning, and she likes to see me barely sprinkle pepper.

Big pieces of stuff >>> cut up pieces.

It's really important to her that she's eating the same thing we are eating. So yah, I sit by her and eat my stuff in a shitty order sometimes.

If she doesn't eat well I can always get a pouch down her 30-60 min later on foot. I don't associate it with dinner bc she will boycott dinner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    @tinyhumantoe W needs to teach DD how to eat, seriously.

• Options
    I agree with everything you have said @tinyhumantoe. We have taken to hiding the pasta or carb in the microwave until after the veggies and protein have been eaten. We don't even offer fruit with dinner, those are lunch options for us.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    We keep offering them, even if they don't get eaten. Dip is the new thing in our house though. W will eat almost anything if he has something to dip it in. We usually use hummus, plain greek yogurt or tzatziki. Occasionally we will do ketchup or BBQ sauce, but I try not to since they are higher in sugar.
    She loves ranch and recently has started tasting Ketchup, but she just licks it off the veggies!!! Even butter or jam on toast--she just licks it off and ditches the toast! I will have to try more in scrambled eggs. I try to give her dinners of what we are eating. Tonight I minced up the broccoli and mixed it into the stroganoff sauce on her plate so we'll see if she eats it. She does eat some in Spaghetti and jalof rice (a rice with sauce cooked in) but I worry its not enough.

@mssm2012 I will have to try the smoothie idea! Do you give it to your LO in a sippy cup then? I've never tried (I don't think I could use blueberries as the price here in Botswana is outrageous, but definitely bananas and maybe mango or strawberries depending on the season)

@Meatballesq I will have to try veggie pouches. I considered buying some, but worried I would be 'back-tracking' since it is baby food.

• Options
    Sahara78 said:
    I shred carrots, zuchinni, eggplant, etc. and put it in spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, or mac & cheese.
    I've never made her mac 'n' cheese. She loves cheese and pasta and I've been thinking about it. I've never made mac 'n' cheese from scratch and for some reason I'm hesitant. I also thought about making a tuna mac 'n' cheese so maybe I could mix in some veggies.
  • Options
    @billymollyemmy What kind of cup do you give LO smoothies in? Or do you spoon feed it to her?

• Options
    jenmbott said:
    @billymollyemmy What kind of cup do you give LO smoothies in? Or do you spoon feed it to her?
    She has a cup with a lid and a straw

DD born August 31, 2012
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Options

Those are great suggestions, I'm planning on stealing them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"