LGBT Parenting

Chromosomally Normal

Hi Ladies. So I got the results back and the "baby to be" was a Chromosomally normal boy. I know that there are other boards more likely to have experienced this but thought I would ask here. Any of you experienced this?
Iui #1 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 2 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 3 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 4 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 5 = unmedicated = bfp - miscarriage at 5 wks. Iui #6 = nov 2012 = gonal f 75, endotrim 100= chemical pregnancy/bfn

Re: Chromosomally Normal

• I wasn't able to get any results from either of my pregnancies, unfortunately.  Have you had or will you have a repeat pregnancy loss panel to check for other issues that could be causing your losses?

I'm sorry again that you're going through this.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes I think that is the next step. We will meet next week with the RE and see what he recommends. I've been trying to research but can't find much about how they actually test for other causes. I was starting to feel back to normal after the miscarriage and now I'm devastated again... Thanks for your words of support.
    Iui #1 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 2 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 3 = clomid 50 mg = bfn. Iui # 4 = unmedicated = bfn. Iui # 5 = unmedicated = bfp - miscarriage at 5 wks. Iui #6 = nov 2012 = gonal f 75, endotrim 100= chemical pregnancy/bfn
  • Loading the player...
  • Hiya. I had the same thing. Well, he had a slight abnormality on one chromosome but nothing that would've had any impact on life (carrier status). I was "fortunate" in that they did find a blood clot on my umbilical cord which was attributed as cause of death.

It is especially hard when baby was perfect. People say well-meaning things like "he probably wasn't right" or "some babies aren't meant to be born" and I'd watch them go pale when I'd say "actually he was perfect."

In addition to ball.and
    chain's advice to get an RPL, talk also to your doc about immune testing and blood clotting testing. I am reading a book by a doctor who dropped the miscarriage rate of her practice from 25% to 8% (!!!) by treating everyone with baby aspirin and testing for blood clotting immune and/or genetic indicators and treating those people proactively/additionally with blood thinners. Not necessarily getting on her bandwagon but she has some pretty compelling data and to me, after a 2nd tri loss I am throwing the kitchen sink at this pregnancy. I've been on baby aspirin since before transfer and started shots at 6w.

Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm so sorry for your loss, it sucks and it changes you/everything. :(
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Another point, my RE was great but actually sent me to two MFM's for opinions as she felt they had the job of maintaining the pregnancy while her job was to get me pregnant. The MFM I ended up with is hardcore and willing to look at/test/try anything. My RE is amazing, but her point was the MFM had more experience saving existing pregnancies than she did.

Did they assess the placenta and cord?

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• 2 mamaz - your post has made my tears flow again. It's so nice to have someone who gets it. I'm so devastated that we would have had a perfect little boy if he would have been carried in someone else's womb. What is an mfm? Is all the testing just bloodwork? Wierd they wouldn't do that from the get go for infertile folks. Thanks again for your feedback. I will definitely mention that to my RE.
  • MFM is a Maternal-Fetal Medicine doc, basically a high risk OB. I was sent there for my D&E since it was second tri and they do a lot of Terminations for Medical Reasons which often occur after 13w and are better skilled than a regular OB. The other thing they do is manage high risk pregnancies. So I went for pre-pregnancy consults with two different MFMs who advise on multiple losses and/or later losses, etc. The testing I had done was all just blood work.

The other huge difference I've noticed is that they will manage your whole pregnancy and unlike an OB, each visit the doc spends 30 minutes with me. They are nerdy scientists and are vigilant and take everything very seriously. So I might see if there is one in your area. My RE did a lot of the testing, but had me take the results for an MFM opinion.

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• @laynesmomma, my RE explained that miscarriages are generally caused by either a) chromosomal, b) auto-immune, c) hormonal or d) uterine issues. So RPL testing, for me at least, tested for all of those things -- karyotyping for chromosomes, and hormone, blood-clotting, thyroid, and other auto-immune tests. Those were all blood tests and took about 2 weeks to come back. My RE told me insurance might not cover them because I'd only had 2 losses, but they covered all of them (most insurance will cover after 3 losses). Once all the blood work came back normal, my RE did a diagnostic hysteroscopy to confirm that I had no uterine issues (septum, adhesions, etc). This was day surgery performed in a hospital under IV sedation, but not a big deal for someone who has gone through egg retrieval --similar experience and I was less sore afterward.

The good news is that although they can't do much about chromosomal issues (except IVF with PGD and getting rid of the imperfect ones), there are meds to treat a lot of the other issues, and a uterine septum or adhesions can be removed surgically. Since your baby's chromosomes were normal, that is probably not your issue...I hope you get all the testing you need and if it turns up something, it is totally treatable and will lead to you having a healthy, normal, boring next pregnancy!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks B & C. That gives me hope as does your success! I'll keep you ladies posted and look forward to hearing all about your wonderful successes as well. Thx!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"