Trouble TTC

IUI #1 cancelled- onto IVF already?

I have been giving myself Menopur injects since 12/6, and today, finally, my RE called it quits for this cycle. I have 1 lead follicle at about 15 mm, but also have 4-5 more around 14 mm. Now my E2 is dropping (peaked at 320some, now it's below 200). I am sad and frustrated, even more so because my doctor told me that this is likely to happen on any injects cycle, because of my tricky ovaries (high AFC). Even on this VERY conservatively dosed cycle, I am ending up with multiple big follicles and risk HOM. He said our best option now is trying to get insurance approval to move onto IVF immediately.  This is a big step emotionally for me and it all feels so fast... we just saw the RE for the first time in November! (I truly hope this doesn't sound insensitive to those who have been doing through this for much longer than we have... )

I am mostly venting, but also would appreciate any advice you ladies have. Should I get a second opinion? I go to a huge fertility practice in Maryland, and since I've gone to multiple offices, it has not been just one doctor looking at my charts. I don't have any doubts about his competence, and I guess I appreciate an aggressive approach... but it's still a lot to process.
*****************siggy/ticker warning*****************************

-Me: anovulatory/ hypothalamic amenorrhea / H: all good
-IUI  Medicated TI Cycle #1 (Dec): Menopur  + Ovidrel + TI  = BFN
-Benched for work issues Jan/Feb
-IUI 1.2: Menopur + Ovidrel = BFN
-IVF #1- Menopur + Follistim = 12R / 7M / 4F -- first beta-260, second 520. EDD 2/22/15

Welcome Dane 02/09!

Re: IUI #1 cancelled- onto IVF already?

• What an incredibly frustrating month you've had!!! I suspect we are with the same practice (SG). I agree with you that during the cycle we are often evaluated by several REs. Last month I think 4 REs evaluated me. However, the way that I understand it, the on duty RE makes the immediate decision according to the plan your assigned RE recommended. If so, I totally think it is worth it to seek a second opinion from another RE at SG. It should be easy. Your records are already there. Also, I would talk to my nurse. I see mine as a neutral party. I think she could say either a) your RE consulted with the others on this decision or b) get a second opinion. Good luck! I don't have any IVF experience but I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from others.
    Me: 34 | He: 40
    TTC since 08/2012
    DX: DOR

• @1983lindsey - thanks for the advice about Follistim... I didn't know it came in a pen. I did start out at 37.5 IU Menopur (half a vial) for 5 days and all I got was 10 slightly larger follicles... on each ovary. Frustrating. I will mention Follistim to my RE and see if he thinks it's a good option. I know it's FSH only, instead of FSH/LH like Menopur, but I don't know enough to know if that would be the right option for me.

@ronniesgirl1981 - yes, Shady Grove! I will check with another MD there, that is a good idea. My nurse has been helpful but really hesitant to give me much besides technical input, I'll try and poke her for some opinions. 

Thank you both for your input. 
    *****************siggy/ticker warning*****************************

-Me: anovulatory/ hypothalamic amenorrhea / H: all good
    -IUI  Medicated TI Cycle #1 (Dec): Menopur  + Ovidrel + TI  = BFN
    -Benched for work issues Jan/Feb
    -IUI 1.2: Menopur + Ovidrel = BFN
    -IVF #1- Menopur + Follistim = 12R / 7M / 4F -- first beta-260, second 520. EDD 2/22/15

Welcome Dane 02/09!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"