July 2014 Moms

Another STMs: Hospital Stays

A PP got me thinking when she was discussing daycare for her LO while she's in labor with her second.

I was thinking of having MH at the hospital for labor and delivery and then sending him home. First time around this would have never happened, but with a dog and a toddler at home, I'm thinking splitting up may be better. Of course he can come back and get me and lo when all is said and done.

Thoughts and/or experiences? I know there is plenty of time to think, but I'm a little bored tonight.:)
IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Another STMs: Hospital Stays

• With DS2, I wanted DH with me, he had suggested going home and I told him no :) I had my dog and DS1 stay with my parents for a few days while I was in labor and we were at the hospital. The kids and dog will stay with my parents again this time too.
  • If all goes as planned, I'm hoping my DD can stay with my mom and DH can stay at the hospital with baby and me. DH will want to anyway, but if we didn't have anyone to watch DD, he would have to go back home. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • DH is planning on doing the same. We don't have a kid, but we do have a dog.

As of right now, he's not planning on spending every night at the hospital. Obviously, this could change and if he wants to, he's more than welcome. But I'm not going to make him.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• DH will probably have to go home because I don't know if we'll have anyone available to watch DD for that long. I just hope I don't end up in the hospital for 5 days after delivery again.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • @Chimom85 You make a good point. . . with DD they gave me the boot from the hospital after about 29 hours since I had no complications. If I was in there longer, maybe my thoughts would be different.

I'm glad to hear what others plans are, it will help me figure out what to do!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Our plan is to have family come to town once labor begins to help with DD and our kitties. DH rocked as a labor coach and he really enjoyed those first days in the hospital with LO. If worse comes to worst, we have friends who would gladly watch DD during labor and delivery. Their house is actually minutes from the hospital where I'll be delivering so if things progress quickly, DD will be dropped off there on the way. We have a cat sitter when we're out of town, so that would be covered if family couldn't make it in time.
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I sent him home at night to be with ds, i wanted to keep ds's routine normal. I was fine on my own at the hospital, it wasn't a big deal to me.
    Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • My DH went home to sleep instead of staying at hospital with me. DH was exhausted from being up all night & the cot was uncomfortable. I was there 2 nights. He came back first thing in the morning & was with me all day.
    We will probably do the same this time, but still will have DS stay with my sister.
    I think it will be important to have some quiet bonding time with me, DH, and nrw baby without DS around.
  • It's going to depend on whether or not I have a csection or a vbac. If I vbac I will probably send him home to hang with DD a bit. If I have a csection depending on how recovery goes I might have him stay with me.

DD will be with DHs family and spends the night with his parents on a regular basis so she will be fine being there for a few days. She has her own room and toys so it wouldn't be a big deal for her.
  • My ILs and parents are both in town so I don't think DH will leave the hospital. DS is very comfortable with our parents so it won't bother him to be without us for awhile.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • DS will be staying with my parents. When we told them my moms first words after the initial excitement was I'll be on summer break so we can keep DS. We got a dog from our friends who had to give him up due to housing issues tonight, so not sure how we will work that out yet.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad you mentioned the nursery part @catarntina My hospital has no nursery and no options for nurse care unless the baby has issues. I did forget about that. I just keep thinking I have experience so how bad could it get? In reality, I'm sure I have forgotten everything!

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• DH stayed with me after both kids and I'm so glad that he did. Our first night with DS was scary because he was born really quickly and had a lot of fluid he was choking up that night. My kids will stay with our moms. They take turns with care so nobody gets too worn out. Our friends that live nearby check in on our dog for us :)
    imageimage
  • Does everyone know if their hospital allows DH to spend the night? That would be nice sometimes to have him there... My hospital is strict and kicks everyone out after a certain time DH included unless you are giving birth or gave birth late at night. On the other hand I really love my alone time bonding with my baby when everyone is gone. I have 4 more at home this time so my alone time with baby will definitely be special because once I get home it will be gone!
  • Luckily, my mother lives close so she'll come up and stay with DS while we're in the hospital.

• Caitlinrj said:
    If all goes as planned, I'm hoping my DD can stay with my mom and DH can stay at the hospital with baby and me. DH will want to anyway, but if we didn't have anyone to watch DD, he would have to go back home. 

This three nights (one was labor) in the hospital is boring. I also don't think DH would want to stay gone, he would want to be there with his baby. I am certain DD will be there a lot as well, we don't often send her off overnight and never for multiple nights and we've been offered the chance several times.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP 08/14/13 EDD 04/18/14 Natural MC 08/19/13
    BFP 10/15/13 EDD 06/24/2014 Natural MC 10/23/13
    Recurrent Miscarriage Panel done 11/06/13. Results= All normal
    BFP 12/2/13 EDD July 30, 2014
    Beta 12/3/13: 19,261!
    U/S 12/13/13 heart rate 143 bpm!

My Blog
  • My DH will be there for the birth/surgery of course. But my MIL will stay with me at night, and he will go home with our DD. We would like to maintain some routine and normalcy for her. He'll be there during the days :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • We will have family stay with dd and dh will stay with me at the hospital. Dd will go to school if it's during the week to keep her life as normal as possible.
  • With number 2, DH stayed with me during the day mostly, but stayed with DD at night. This will likely be the plan this time. I actually liked the bonding time with the new baby by myself :-)

1st pregnancy: m/c began 1/12/09 d&c 1/13/09 8wks. Baby stopped growing at about 6wks.

Delaney: Born 10/15/09

Gavin: Born 4/8/11

Baby #3: due July 10, 2014

• I had a scheduled C with my 3rd so after surgery and spending some time with us at the hospital I sent him home.  We had a 2yr old and 1yr old at home so he needed to be there.  This time around it'll be similar.
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DH will be with me.  I'm trying for a vbac but will probably end up with a rcs. My daughter and step son can stay at our house with my in laws (they'll probably stay down a few days) or my parents don't live far either so they can stay with them if necessary. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• biglewzerbiglewzer member
    edited December 2013
    A PP got me thinking when she was discussing daycare for her LO while she's in labor with her second.

I was thinking of having MH at the hospital for labor and delivery and then sending him home. First time around this would have never happened, but with a dog and a toddler at home, I'm thinking splitting up may be better. Of course he can come back and get me and lo when all is said and done.

Thoughts and/or experiences? I know there is plenty of time to think, but I'm a little bored tonight.:)

My husband is most definitely going home afterwards. He can stay into the evening the first day, but he's not sleeping at the hospital. One of our parents will have the toddler, but we still have the dog to think about too. He only stayed the first night when DD was born, but it still wasn't necessary. 

• MH stayed with me the night of my induction, and the night after giving birth (I had DD at 9:39 and wasn't moved to the maternity ward until after midnight).  The second night I sent him home so that at least one of us could sleep.

• Carmel5 said:
    Does everyone know if their hospital allows DH to spend the night? That would be nice sometimes to have him there... My hospital is strict and kicks everyone out after a certain time DH included unless you are giving birth or gave birth late at night. On the other hand I really love my alone time bonding with my baby when everyone is gone. I have 4 more at home this time so my alone time with baby will definitely be special because once I get home it will be gone!
    My hospital actually provides daybeds for overnight guests. The hospital is brand new (built in 2011). It's a super nice feature if you're going to have overnight guests. A twin bed is a lot better than a cot or chair. 
  • Some of this is dependent on when I go into labor (day or night, weekday or weekend).  DS will go to DC if it's during the week/day and my parents will take care of him.  DH will go home at night unless labor is into the evening.  During recovery, he will go home to be with DS (again unless DC is an option).  Last time, I woke up in labor (didn't know that's what it was) so we hadn't made arrangements  for the dogs.  I actually called to arrange boarding while laying in the hospital bed in labor.
  • allardrallardr member
    edited December 2013
    With DD my DH stayed the first night (I delivered at 1pm that day) but night 2 I sent him home to get the dog back home from the kennel to settle in before bringing DD home. Also to do last minute cleaning and such. I won't lie though that night was long and I missed having someone. 

That's another reason I'd rather have family watch DD this time, then I'd keep DH with me both nights (assuming 2 night stay). Family would stay at our  house so DD routine would be the same. If I had got a "baby sitter" or friend I'd keep him night 1 (if that) but that'd be it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Carmel5 said:
    Does everyone know if their hospital allows DH to spend the night? That would be nice sometimes to have him there... My hospital is strict and kicks everyone out after a certain time DH included unless you are giving birth or gave birth late at night. On the other hand I really love my alone time bonding with my baby when everyone is gone. I have 4 more at home this time so my alone time with baby will definitely be special because once I get home it will be gone!
    That's crazy I'd find another hospital. DH would never go for that. It's one thing if we decide he should go home with DD but to be forced out from seeing his own wife and child. Crazy!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our hospital has full sized hospital beds in all of the family care suites ( where they ship you off to after birth ). DH will stay with me and I'm guessing my grandma will come stay at our house with DS and dog. Both of our parents work, and my grandma loves watching him, so it'll work out nicely.
  • I think DH will stay with me at the hospital as long as there is some place for him to sleep. MIL will be off work and has offered to watch DD and our dog.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• No experience here, but I plan on sending dh home to do bed time and get in a nap. I don't think O would do well with someone else putting him to bed. I am hoping I feel well enough to go how as quick as possible so it isn't a long term issue.

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • DH stayed with me for the surgery with ds2, ordered me a pizza and went home that night. I didn't see him much after that since he hates the hospital, plus he had the pets and ds1. It will be the same this time. His parents are close so they filled in when we needed them.
  • I might have my sister or mom come stay with me when dh is at our house,

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"