December 2013 Moms

NYE festivities and breastfeeding

Hey there - DH and I are planning on going out to a few friends' get-togethers tonight as the ILs will be with baby. I was thinking I would allow myself 2 - 3 drinks. I'm a little confused between what different sources are saying I should do in terms of breastfeeding. I plan on feeding her before we leave at her usual time - around 9 pm. DH then usually gives a bottle while I pump around 1 am, so the ILs will give the bottle and I'll pump when I get home but NOT save that milk, right? If I feel sober by the time our next feeding rolls around (usually around 4:30 am), which I expect to but you never know since I haven't drank in a year, can I feed her myself again? Or should I just plan on ILs giving that bottle and me pumping? I hope this wasn't too confusing - thanks for your help! 

Re: NYE festivities and breastfeeding

• They say if you are sober enough to drive then you are sober enough to nurse. I follow that rule when I'm only have a casual drink or two. But if its more than I follow a guide I found online. You can find your weight and amount of drinks and it tells you how long you should wait to nurse. Usually 2 hours for every drink.
  • I think your plan sounds good.  Obviously if you end up having more than you think and are still drunk at 4 then dump that milk.  You can also not pump at 1 and wait until you sober up and pump, then you won't have to dump that milk.  The body filters alcohol out of milk just like it does your bloodstream.  But you may be too engorged to wait that long.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think your plan sounds good.  Obviously if you end up having more than you think and are still drunk at 4 then dump that milk.  You can also not pump at 1 and wait until you sober up and pump, then you won't have to dump that milk.  The body filters alcohol out of milk just like it does your bloodstream.  But you may be too engorged to wait that long.

Won't that mess with your supply?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Let me tell you that you do not want to get drunk! Have a drink maybe two ( depends on how you are tolerating it) but don't get drunk because taking care of the little one will suck. Doing it sleep deprived is not fun but with alchohol is even worse . I had two drinks the other night back to back ( I think that was the problem to close together) and it hit me a little harder than I thought and I was just so tired making getting up and feeding all night long made it that much worse. So I just space it out. I do one drink right after I pump then pump in 2.5-3 hrs keep it and have one more if I like. I get to keep my milk and not feel so tired from drinking.
  • Let me tell you that you do not want to get drunk! Have a drink maybe two ( depends on how you are tolerating it) but don't get drunk because taking care of the little one will suck. Doing it sleep deprived is not fun but with alchohol is even worse . I had two drinks the other night back to back ( I think that was the problem to close together) and it hit me a little harder than I thought and I was just so tired making getting up and feeding all night long made it that much worse. So I just space it out. I do one drink right after I pump then pump in 2.5-3 hrs keep it and have one more if I like. I get to keep my milk and not feel so tired from drinking.

Good advice @Pink Flamingo - perhaps I'll dial back my aspirations to 2 drinks ;)
  • If you're going to have all of your drinks before 1, it is likely you'll have to pump and dump. You'll be surprised how much your tolerance has gone down in 9 months. If your drinks aren't strong, you'll probably be fine by 4 to BF. So your plan seems fine. Have fun tonight! I know we all deserve a relaxing night and a couple drinks ;)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • thetheisensthetheisens member
    edited December 2013
    Loolaide said:
    Um, since the ILs are watching LO, why shouldn't she get drunk?

Anyway, I agree with waiting for an hour or two for every drink you have.  Also, you can pump and dump, or you can pump and dilute that milk with other, non-boozy milk, but I'd only do that if you were feeling basically sober.  Technically, though, the milk will never have an appreciable amount of alcohol in it.  When you're too drunk to drive, your BAC is 0.08%.  Your breast milk has that same concentration.  Cold medicine, nonalcoholic beer, and even a lot of desserts can have more alcohol than that.  
    This exactly. @loolaide is wise. Go have fun, get a little buzz, and pump when you get home. Unless you are hammered I would not dump the out the milk, you will probably have sobered up by that time if you are only having 2 or 3 drinks all night. If that was all I was drinking all night over several hours I personally would just nurse my baby, I wouldn't even be buzzed when I got home unless they were hard liquor shots all in a row right before I went home. I also would dilute the milk like lool said, I did that last time with ds, spread out a 1/2 oz or oz into the 4 oz bags I froze.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Thank you ladies! I've been looking forward to seeing all my friends and having a good time so I'm going to try and relax a take advantage of the ILs :)
  • Skipping one feeding isn't going to hurt your supply.  If my baby sleeps longer one night, it doesn't mean I have no milk for him the next night if he wakes up earlier.  I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it, but missing one feeding in an otherwise ebf baby won't do any harm, besides being in pain from engorgement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"