January 2014 Moms

BTDT moms: Walking epidural vs. regular experiences

I've been looking into options other than the standard epidural and was reading about a lower dose alternative that would block the pain but not all the sensation so you would still be able to feel the urge to push and have a little more mobility and would return to normal sensation sooner after the birth. Just wondering if any one had first hand experiences to share? I had regular epis with both my boys and wasn't super thrilled with how restricted I was during and for a while after birth. But I don't know that I can or want to go med-free. Not sure if my hospital even offers a walking epi (I'll ask next week) but thought I would check around for experiences in the meantime.

Re: BTDT moms: Walking epidural vs. regular experiences

• A walking epi is a misnomer....you can't actually walk while you have it, but you will have more feeling in your legs and probably feel the pressure of the contractions, just not the pain. It makes it easier to push. I had one when I delivered DS2.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• I had "walking Epis" both times. They were wonderful. It was a light enough dose that I could still move and feel what I was doing, and the contractions actually still hurt, just took the intense pain away. I could still feel the baby moving down and I could feel the baby being born- but no ring of fire. With both births, I was able to push the baby out in 3 contractions (they were both 6 lb babies). I could still push effectively.

Both times I avoided tearing as well. I am not sure, but I think the Epi played a part in that the first time. When I was pushing, the dr said that if I could hold on and not push for a moment, then I would not tear, but if I felt like I couldn't hold on and needed to keep pushing, that it looked like I would tear. Well, I held on for a moment until the next contraction and I did avoid tearing. But who knows.

I would highly recommend getting one if its a possibility for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I appreciate the first hand experiences. I know you can't actually walk with a walking epi (you'd think they would have come up with a better term by now). I'm hoping my hospital offers it as an option!

• I was wondering about this too. I'm going to ask if it is offered!
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• I thought I read that the walking epidural is actually more medicine than the regular epi. Not that it's a big deal, but just something to note (assuming it's true, of course).
  • Had a "regular" epi with my first and loved it! They timed it perfect and I was able to feel where to push.

I did not have a "regular" epi with my second, no clue if it was considered a "walking" epi but I hated it! I couldn't fully relax, and every time I was almost sleeping a contraction would wake me up. I ended up with a section.

I'm hoping this time around it will be more like with my first and that I will have a successful vbac.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to do the walking as well, and the bonus is (according to my hospital) the dosage can always be increased if I change my mind and want the full. So, simple decision for me.
  • I simply had them keep the epi really low dose. Although now that I'm typing, I realize that with my 3rd the epi was only in there for 30 minutes or so, so I was able to move fairly well afterwards. They just waited for 3 hours anyway. Which is when I was thankful to have had the epi at all (I personally had issues after DD was born).

With DS1, the epi was on so high I couldn't do anything, couldn't feel anything, they had to tell me when I should push. After that experience, I just requested that it not be so high, and with DS2 it was definitely better.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"