Pregnant after 35
Options

Weight gain and how many weeks.....

Hi ladies,

I am curious to know... how much weight you have gained so far in your pregnancy and how many weeks are you?

I'll go first.  I am 19w4d and I have gained a total of 4 pounds since my last OB appt on 12/9. 
Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

Re: Weight gain and how many weeks.....

• Options
    I am 17 wks and have gained about 12 lbs total. Idk how big I'll get but with my other two I was HUGE by the end... :)
  • Options

I'll go first.  I am 19w4d and I have gained a total of 4 pounds since my last OB appt on 12/9. 
    You gained 4 lbs in 4 days?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    SurpriseAt39SurpriseAt39 member
    edited December 2013
    If you're concerned, check this out.
    It's a chart of what you should be aiming for based on height/weight (BMI)

https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html
  • Options
    I am 28 weeks tomorrow and have gained 13 lbs. I had only gained 5 lbs. up until my last visit. At my last visit 2 weeks ago I had gained 8 lbs. in 1 month, ugh! I'm not sweating it though cause I don't think 13 lbs. is bad for going into my 3rd trimester.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm 17 weeks and still 4 down from my pregnancy weight.  I was 8 lbs down at one point, so I've gained some recently.  I'm just now starting to feel hungry - I've eaten a ton the past two days. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options

LOL, I can see how what I said would be misleading.  What I was trying to say was since the start of my pregnancy I've gained a total of 4 pounds.  
    Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

• Options

LOL, I can see how what I said would be misleading.  What I was trying to say was since the start of my pregnancy I've gained a total of 4 pounds.  

That's better. Whew!! Lol.

I've only gained 5 lbs.
    I'm 26+ weeks and 3rd baby.
  • Options
    well, this post makes me feel like crap ;(  I've gained about 16 lbs already.  But... I know enough to know that the amount I've gained means little to nothing without putting it into perspective.  Also I recognize that I'm pregnancy so I'm going to gain weight.  My dr is not concerned about my weight gain so I'll have to just ignore the increasing numbers and continue to eat healthy, lots of veggies and watch the fats/carbs.
  • Options
    @kelley72 I have also gained about 15-17 pounds depending on which scale I am on (lol). I think we are totally normal, so don't feel like crap!
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mlampingmlamping member
    edited December 2013
    I am 35 weeks this week and I have gained 15 pounds. I was over weight before pregnancy and I tried hard not to gain a lot, but it is very hard. Oh well. Half of the weight is baby right? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kelley72 and @beachgirl72 and @leftie22
    I don't like posts like this either.
    Mostly because every woman, every pregnancy and every baby are different.

My first pregnancy I gained 65 lbs, but I started out underweight.
    I didn't try to gain that much. I didn't feel like I was eating a ton more, but, I'm normally lactose intolerant and don't drink milk. During my first pregnancy I CRAVED milk and drank 6-8L every week.

My second baby, I gained 40 lbs. I was 11 years older and 15 lbs heavier to start. I actually had an appetite. I ate steak, seafood, any meat I could get my teeth into and occasionally a bit of milk. (Baby was 7 lbs 6 oz)

This time, I haven't been able to drink much coffee, I have an aversion to pretty much all meat and can't drink milk. I'm 40 years old and 15 lbs heavier than I was at the beginning of my last pregnancy. (Baby was 7 lbs)

There are a ton of factors to consider.
    I'm trying to gain, but I've only gained this 5-6 lbs in the last 6 or so weeks.
    I'm not worried about baby since my ultrasounds have shown an average sized baby.
  • Options
    I was not trying to create bad feelings for anyone and apologize if I did.  I realize now that I should not have asked the question.  Sorry ladies.

• Options
    I am almost 7 weeks.  Pre-preg weight was 120 +/- 2 pounds depending on time of day/time of month/etc.  When I weighed myself at 4 weeks I was 121.  Last week's weight was 122, so I'm still within my normal pre-preg range, or I've gained a pound.  Weekly weigh-in (Wii-in - gotta love using the WiiFit as a scale) is tomorrow, so we'll see what I've got. Some pants have definitely been feeling tighter though...
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    I was not trying to create bad feelings for anyone and apologize if I did.  I realize now that I should not have asked the question.  Sorry ladies.

I recognize you weren't trying to make me (or others) feel bad.  The fact is I do because I am uncomfortable with my weight gain not because of what you have or haven't gained.  Yes, we all are different heights/body types, etc.  I just know that my weight wasn't an issue during my younger baby making days ;)  Prior to this pregnancy I quit smoking and had already gained some weight and with my age every pound I gain may stick with me afterwards... it is a concern for this somewhat vain trying to be an adult and realistic about it person.  I have always been quite fit and active but with age that has diminished. 

I can understand low weight ladies being concerned if they haven't/aren't gaining but sometimes it is a little bit of self torture/ a slap in the face to see how much I've gained over others.  PS I went to my 24wk apt yesterday.  I've gained MORE than 16lbs.  I've gained 18lbs and yes that is too much for me, for my height, and for where I am in my pregnancy.  I am not overly upset by it but I am certainly not proud of it.  I also recognize in reality I am not going to stop gaining weight... ugh guess I'll deal with it (hopefully) in March/April

• Options
    I don't know if it helps to see the opposite spectrum of the weight gain?  I am FTM, 41 and lost about 4-5lbs in first trimester.  My weight gain has been very modest.  I think I am up to 10 lb gain since the weight loss- making a whopping 6 lb gain.  It has been a great concern for me as I worry about things being okay for baby. 

Fortunately, I found I gained 2 more in the last 2 weeks.  I should add that I have had weight loss surgery a few years back and trying to gain has been very difficult.  All baby results have come out okay and doc has no concerns to date.  But I assure anyone being upset about gaining more than someone else- it is no fun worrying if things are okay when you have not gained much. 

Not to mention, being 33 weeks along at this point and carrying small- many people don't realize I am preggers so I have to be on the lookout of people not paying attention and bumping into me, etc.  I like to show off the bump too- I'm so tired of people saying "you're hardly anything!" 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    2006:diagnosed w/ PCOS
    ...2010: 4 unsuccessful fertility tx's
    Jan 2013: angel baby @9 weeks... May 2013- we're pregnant!
    OCT 2013- married the love of my life
    FEB 2014- baby girl is due!!

• Options

I am glad that you posted this! It helps me gauge my own weight gain. Thanks!
    Me:35,  DH: 39   
    TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
    8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
    10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
    3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
    4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
    6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
    8/13: FET #1= BFN
    10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Options
    This was a helpful post for me.  In the beginning I was very worried about weight because I started underweight and I kept losing because nausea made it difficult for me to eat anything. Now at almost 19 weeks, I've gained a net 6lbs; I'm still underweight for my height but the baby is measuring in the 75th percentile (according to the MFM) so I guess I don't need to worry too much about it. I don't think any of us need to worry about gaining too much or too little weight until the doctor makes an issue of it.
    Me:PCOS, fibroids DH: no issues 
    TTC for 3 years. IVF #1 in Jan 12 - severe OHSS; miscarriage at 11 weeks
    2 myomectomies and 6 hysteroscopies in 2012 and 2013.
    FET in Aug 2013 BFP

• Options
    I started out about 20lbs overweight. I never lost all of the 60lbs I gained with my 2yo son.
    I lost about 5lbs in the 1st trimester. I have gained 3.5lbs in less than 2 weeks. I am really, really trying not to gain a ton of weight this time around. Trying hard to watch what I eat, walk on treadmill 3-5x a week. A total change from my 1st time around. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm 14w4d and have gained 2 lbs. I put on 12 lbs in my first trimester with my first so this is a nice change. :) I started this pregnancy overweight, so I hope to keep the weight gain at a healthy rate.

But despite the minimal gain, I feel HUGE!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm 10 weeks and have managed to lose a couple of pounds which I am delighted about as I started out overweight. It must be due to the nausea and the fact that the only food that remotely interests me is fruit, especially pears and bananas.

My OB called me "a little on the heavy side of normal" at my last visit. That made me LOL! 
    :))
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    I'm 31 weeks and gave gained 35 lbs with baby #2. I was 10 lbs underweight to begin with. I feel great and never had morning sickness. I eat well and no food is wasted.

I gave birth to baby #1 last year really early at 32 weeks. Totally unexpected. I gained 30 lbs with her. I don't worry about my weight at all. It's no big deal to me. I'm just hoping to go full term this time. I'm feeling pretty good here at 31 weeks.
  • Options
    If you're concerned, check this out. It's a chart of what you should be aiming for based on height/weight (BMI) https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html
    @SurpriseAt39

awesome thanks for this chart!!!!  I am where I should be for my weight!!!  thanks!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I started out at 189  I am 5'5" ( about 40-50 overweight)  I am now 15w and I am at 189-190.  Per the chart that PP said above I am right on target.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Awe ladies, we are so predisposed to what society (incl. dr's) believe what is ideal. No matter how much or little weight we have gained, health and happiness is the most important. This is my 5th after 10 years of not trying;) I am entering my 3rd trimester and have gained 48 lbs. This is the only pregnancy that I have ever weighed myself, I did it for fun at a grocery store while visiting Florida for the holiday. I asked my husband and friends to make bets/wagers. I was shocked and we laughed so much at little me 5'2" normal size 3/4 now weighing 10 lbs less than my husband. From my experience all this weight turns into precious baby milk and as long as I can still wear shoes(haha) seeing the change in my once slender body is such a beautiful event, one that will soon change again when this being arrives. So, be kind to yourselves, enjoy the ride with all its new found bumps, lumps and curves.
  • Options
    Started this pregnancy at 186. Still 25lbs overweight from baby #1. I'm hovering around 182 now. Baby is growing beautifully so I'm not concerned. A completely different weight gain story this time around. I think it's from chasing around a 2 yo boy and not eating everything in sight.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 20 weeks, and I've gained a whopping 3 lbs.  Which is actually very good for me since last time I gained a whopping 4 lbs the entire pregnancy and popped out a perfectly healthy little bun who was a little over 6 lbs.  I'm 5'10 and started out around 155 lbs.  So perfectly in the middle of normal BMI.  Sigh.  Just not good at gaining weight during pregnancy, no matter how much I eat.
  • Options
    Hello, 

I am 37 weeks this week on Wed. and I have gained 20 pounds. I tried, but the cravings killed me. I guess it could be worst. Good luck to all! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 34 weeks & have gained 27 lbs. since I got BFP...& 22 lbs since 1st OB appt weigh-in. :) I gained 25 total with my first baby; I'm sure this time will be 30+. I've had a stronger sweet tooth this time!
  • Options
    I'm 5'6" and was 127 pre-pregnancy. About 20 lbs underweight for me. I'm 30 weeks now and I've gained 60 lbs so far. It doesn't look like I've gained that much and I'm not trying to lose all the weight afterward. Your body really does know what to do. Sometimes you need to gain a lot and sometimes you don't. I don't like pregnancy weight gain charts or bmi charts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"