Secondary IF

anyone used an ND?

I know some of you do acupuncture (which I have not tried) but I've been on the fence about meeting with an ND who says they do natural fertility treatment, acupuncture, hormone (saliva based) testing, detox, etc. I'm interested but somehow can't bring myself to make the call because I don't really know what to expect....plus somehow I feel like I'm cheating on my doctor. I love my doctor but just feel that seeing an ND certainly can't hurt our chances.

So anyone used one? What did you think?
Me: 32, DH: 33
DS #1: April 2010
DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis

Re: anyone used an ND?

• I haven't but I know a few ladies here have done acupuncture and highly recommend it!
  • Hi! Acupuncture advocate here :)

Okay - first of all- do not feel bad about your doctor. You, as a patient, are a paying customer. You are essentially paying your doctor for medical care (or in this case to get you pregnant) if that service is not being provided adequately then you have every right to shop elsewhere and seek second opinions.

BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE! :)

The thing that I like about NDs are this: it is rare (not impossible) to go to a regular MD and say I'm experiencing XYZ and have them inquire about your
    Sleep
    stress level
    diet
    Emotional state
    Etc.

The care is so much more personalized (not impossible to find with an MD) but not as common. I have only known one regular doctor that I TRULY love and he is a third generation doctor and LOVES what he does.

The other thing that led me to acupuncture was desperation and the will to TRY ANYTHING. I was/ am ready to try anything under the sun no matter how "weird" it may seem.

You have nothing to lose! simply let your reg doctor know what the ND is doing and vice versa (the right hand has to know what the left is doing) ya know?

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a fan of ND after all the Dr. visits we have been to in the last two years.  My husband has been using ND's and we believe that it has helped him fight and start to recover from his brain cancer and traditional treatments.  The only thing we found was that our insurance didn't often pay for the medication/treatment and we had to find a way to select what we could afford.  Both of the ND's were supportive of selecting cost effective solutions when we needed to look at them.  
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• Thanks for your input.

I'm in Canada so not technically a paying customer (well other than through my taxes!) I adore my doctor, she's definitely doing her job. She's held my hand the whole way and goes slowly when I want and faster when I want. All of my appointments are around 45-90 min. I never feel rushed, I get to ask a million questions, discuss things, cry, whatever. She's amazing, we are extremely fortunate. But our next step is new meds and I'm really sensitive to meds (get so stinkin' emotional with ups and downs which sucks for me and my family) so I'm considering at least trying the "natural" route first. 

In all honesty, I'm terrified of acupuncture. The thought makes me want to throw up. Photos of it make me want to throw up. It makes me queasy beyond belief to consider. Ironically I have no problem with blood being taken and I even donate blood. I don't know what it is.

@Blackvelvet - you must have such incredible strength to handle SIF and your husband's brain cancer treatments. I hope you guys get your miracle baby soon.
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • sailorgal said:

Thanks for your input.

I'm in Canada so not technically a paying customer (well other than
    through my taxes!) I adore my doctor, she's definitely doing her job.
    She's held my hand the whole way and goes slowly when I want and faster
    when I want. All of my appointments are around 45-90 min. I never feel rushed, I get to ask a million questions, discuss things, cry, whatever. She's amazing, we are extremely fortunate. But our next step is new meds and I'm really sensitive to meds (get so stinkin' emotional with ups and downs which sucks for me and my family) so I'm considering at least trying the "natural" route first. 

In all honesty, I'm terrified of acupuncture. The thought makes me want to throw up. Photos of it make me want to throw up. It makes me queasy beyond belief to consider. Ironically I have no problem with blood being taken and I even donate blood. I don't know what it is.

@Blackvelvet - you must have such incredible strength to handle SIF and your husband's brain cancer treatments. I hope you guys get your miracle baby soon.

Sounds like there's no need for you to look into alternative medicine if your current doctor is providing great care. I would stick with him or her and consider yourself lucky as I've only dealt with ass-hats to date.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• I currently see an ND. I love her! She really takes a whole body, physical AND mental approach.

She has helped me revamp my diet and my exercise habits, has DH and I on several vitamins and supplements, and has me on a few herbs (one for CM and one that I take for a few days pee cycle to help trigger ovulation).

She also does extensive blood tests (even more extensive than my CD3 work up), and based on those results, tweaks my vitamins, supplements, and herbs.

I have taken a little break from
    acupuncture, but was doing that as well.

We went this route because we were not ready to make the financial commitment to traditional fertility treatments. The ND isn't cheap (initial visit was $250, follow up visits are $90, and the vitamins cost about $100/month), but it's a lot cheaper than IUI! I feel great, but so far (it's been 6 months), the treatment plan hasn't worked.

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Well I am hoping to avoid depression, horrible highs and lows, etc. which will likely be brought on by hormonal meds as it has in the past so that's my reason for considering it. But as I mentioned, I just don't know what to expect from an ND and no one I know has been to one.
  • Mrs.LD813 said:
    I currently see an ND. I love her! She really takes a whole body, physical AND mental approach. She has helped me revamp my diet and my exercise habits, has DH and I on several vitamins and supplements, and has me on a few herbs (one for CM and one that I take for a few days pee cycle to help trigger ovulation). She also does extensive blood tests (even more extensive than my CD3 work up), and based on those results, tweaks my vitamins, supplements, and herbs. I have taken a little break from acupuncture, but was doing that as well. We went this route because we were not ready to make the financial commitment to traditional fertility treatments. The ND isn't cheap (initial visit was $250, follow up visits are $90, and the vitamins cost about $100/month), but it's a lot cheaper than IUI! I feel great, but so far (it's been 6 months), the treatment plan hasn't worked.

Great thanks for the wonderful summary. I like the idea of whole body approach. I didn't really think of them as doing bloodwork - didn't realize that was in their scope of practice too.

Ahhh okay I'm going to make the phone call right now. My hubby's insurance covers a little but he's leaving his job soon so it's now or never.
  • sailorgal said:

Great thanks for the wonderful summary. I like the idea of whole body approach. I didn't really think of them as doing bloodwork - didn't realize that was in their scope of practice too.

Ahhh okay I'm going to make the phone call right now. My hubby's insurance covers a little but he's leaving his job soon so it's now or never.
    Yes, my ND is a licensed physician. I'm not sure all NDs are, though? She filled out a lab slip, and had me take it to a lab to get the bloodwork done. She also can write prescriptions. She was going to write me a script for clomid (but I went with my OB on that due to monitoring). She said she'd prefer me to get pg w/o clomid, but that she is not opposed to all traditional medicines. She said we can consider it another tool in our toolbox.

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Good luck!!

Married 12.9.06

DD born 1.6.11

TTC #2 since 7.12

• Ahhhh...I made the call for an appointment and they are closed today. Guess I'll try on Thursday!
  • Every.Single.Time you guys type up about acupuncture I swear I do this...  :-SS
    I think Mrs Castillo would hold me down to make me do it.  But good luck!!! 

• sailorgal said:
    Thanks for your input.

I'm in Canada so not technically a paying customer (well other than through my taxes!) I adore my doctor, she's definitely doing her job. She's held my hand the whole way and goes slowly when I want and faster when I want. All of my appointments are around 45-90 min. I never feel rushed, I get to ask a million questions, discuss things, cry, whatever. She's amazing, we are extremely fortunate. But our next step is new meds and I'm really sensitive to meds (get so stinkin' emotional with ups and downs which sucks for me and my family) so I'm considering at least trying the "natural" route first. 

I couldn't go with DH to the acupuncture I was to afraid of it but he liked how it worked.  The ND used a lot of things that decreased side effects from the drugs DH had to take it was a huge help.  We were spending $300 a month on this extra medication but are now down to about $150 since he is getting better.
    It's a long journey but we take things a day at a time and hope for the best.
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"