Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Day care?!

I am going to be a new mom in April. My husband and I just got a house and life just got real for us, LOL. He hates the idea of me working but I'm just going to have to, and he's gonna have to deal with it. 

I am hairstylist and when I was working before my paychecks averaged $700 bi weekly including tips. I am so worried about child care costing to much and I'll end up just working to pay for child care. What are my alternatives?

I figured I have two other options. The first being, getting a part time over night job. The second being to work in a day care and taking baby to work with me, if thats allowed? For that, I need to know what are the credentials to work in daycare? I tried to google this stuff but I'm not getting anything helpful. I'm also super tired because I can't sleep...cuz of the stress. Whew! 

I would appreciate any and all advice!! Thank you ladies! 

Ally & Baby Peyton 

Re: Day care?!

• How hard is it to get those classes? 
  • My husband doesn't have set hours...he's a retail department manager so he works opens, mids and closing shifts =\  
  • Loading the player...
  • The cost of daycare totally depends on your area.

When I lived near Baltimore, it was 325 a week for under one, 300 for one to two.

I'm in western mass now and it's more like 175 a week for infant care.

Something to keep in mind... Childcare costs go down. Even if you're only bringing home 50 bucks a week for the first while, the costs will drop and you'll be paying less soon, and you'll have maintained your client base.

image image
  • If you now own your home (although, some rentals will let you do this), you could possibly open your own childcare or just take on a few kids.  Depending on your state's laws, you may or may not need licensing.  In CA, you can take on one family's children without licensing.  Or, you can get licensed.  It isn't difficult and for us, it wasn't very expensive -- $30 for the class, $160 for the CPR and Health classes then $50 for licensing.  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Look for an in home daycare provider, tend to be less expensive than daycare centers. Plus you avoid more germs from so many kids and have more one on one time, in our case any way. We found a SAHM with one little guy and watches ours plus one other.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I would keep doing research into different types of daycare and the cost. You have some time before you have to make a decision.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well no professional experience but I watched my sisters 3 kids growing up and I have baby sat for people over the years. I am thinking ahead thats all, its good to have a plan in my opinion. 

I've thought about working part time, but I'm just afraid a part time job won't cover the cost of day care needed... I have worked the finances for either way and I need to work. But I am just trying to figure out the best route to take not knowing the exact price of day care or at home child care. I googled it, and couldn't find anything to helpful. I tried calling around to day cares and churches, but the day cares wont give me a price unless I come "tour" the place. I will be moving 45 mins from here so its hard to go over there and tour until I live there. And I havent found a church that does affordable daycare - like I have heard about. 

Like I was saying I was thinking about a part time over night job, so my hubby will have the baby and we wont have to fork out any extra money for day care. But, someone said that it may sound like a good option but I dont want to exhaust myself - the baby will be up during the day and I need my sleep etc. So thats out.

As far as doing weddings etc, I have 2 years experience and its hard to get into a high end salon with so little experience. I still have to be working in the field for a few more years to make the good money. Unfortunately. 
  • Look on Craigslist in the area you're moving to because they often list prices.  Unfortunately, even if you worked overnight, you'd still need childcare.  If you're lucky, your baby will sleep pretty well at night after a while but they still only nap during the day and how much they nap varies SO much that you can't expect to sleep during the day and be well rested and functional.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I've worked in a few day care centers and none required me to have early childhood education certificates since I was never the lead teacher. I always worked as an aide, although I would often take over a classroom if the teacher was out or there was an open position. CPR was offered by the daycare center, so relatively easy to obtain. I lived in NC at the time
  • That sounds like what I'm looking for, just to help out - nothing serious. Were you allowed to bring your child to work?

My niece works at the ymca and she says if you have a kid and you work in the child care/nursery area that you're allowed to bring your kid to work with you.... Has anyone ever tried that? 
  • I worked in a gym nursery for 6 years (my first job).  All the ladies with kids brought their kids for their shifts.  It worked out just fine for me as a co-worker; I never did it, so I can't offer any insight as to what it's like to work with your kids present.  
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • And FYI daycare workers make very little money in my area, unless you are the lead teacher it's pretty much minimum wage, so I really wouldn't go that route.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I looked on care.com in my area they $5-20 an hour...at the cheapest $800 a month... And I doubt they really wanna be paid $5 an hour. 

I have checked into the costs but they wont give me a definite price unless I go tour and its just to hard to get out there. And no I dont know at least one person who will babysit for me...or I would have asked them. The closest person who would lives 2 and 1/2 hours away. 

A career switch doesnt bother me really. I've had so many jobs in my life.
  • Okay I dont know how it seems that way but thanks! 
  • I got my answer ladies, thanks for all your help! 
  • Okay I dont know how it seems that way but thanks! 

If you want to reply to a certain person, use quote.

It seems like you're not willing to take people's advice because you only have excuses for not following the best and most reasonable advice.

You need to your daycares (they're only 45 minutes away) and you need to call a lot of them to see what quotes you can get. Some will give you quotes! You could also ask friends in the area or post on a mom's group asking prices. The prices may be very affordable. It's silly to look for a career change when you don't even know if it's needed.

Craiglist in that area is likely a good source for daycares to get quotes.

image image
  • I know you have said that you have the answer but I just want to remind you of a few things if you decide to take on working in DC or open your own.

-You will have a new baby very soon which means you will be on maternity leave. You may not even be outside of your probation period before you have your baby.

-You will be scheduling many appointments over the next year for the baby  (Well visits, ect.). You will need time off to do these things.

I have worked in daycare as both an aid and a lead teacher. I can tell you that it is not always easy to take time off. You will be expected to keep your class within ratio and daycares don't always hire people just to float around and fill in teachers spaces. Even with a home daycare you will need time off for maternity leave and to take your child to appointments. Your clientele will dwindle quickly if you are not there to watch their kids. If I was looking at a home daycare and learned that the provider was nearing maternity leave I would look elsewhere.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, I don't really know how being 45 minutes away precludes you from visiting daycares.  Hell, I WORKED 45 minutes from my house for years and when DS1 was a year and a half we bought a house an hour from where we were living.  I took a day off and drove out there and toured places.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I looked on care.com in my area they $5-20 an hour...at the cheapest $800 a month... And I doubt they really wanna be paid $5 an hour. 

I have checked into the costs but they wont give me a definite price unless I go tour and its just to hard to get out there. And no I dont know at least one person who will babysit for me...or I would have asked them. The closest person who would lives 2 and 1/2 hours away. 

A career switch doesnt bother me really. I've had so many jobs in my life.

FWIW, I wasn't saying that knowing someone in that area meant having a babysitter. I meant you probably know someone in that area to start your search for childcare, even if they don't have kids themselves. Also, if you think you don't have time to go 45 minutes away to scout out daycares now, wait til you have a small screaming infant (and yes, I just turned into THAT person).

Another point-- there's a big difference between care.com rates and daycare rates.

But she seems to want to start her own daycare or work at one with no training or experience. Good luck with that.

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"