High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone do Lovenox as a precaution (vs. necessity)?

Hi all,
I wanted to see if anyone else here decided to do Lovenox shots as a precaution vs. an absolute necessity and how your experience was/has been.

Last March, I lost my baby at 16w due to an umbilical cord thrombosis. I had all the testing done, and nothing was positive for clotting issues, etc. My initial MFM determined there was no need for Lovenox/Heparin. However, my RE recommended a second opinion and the second MFM offered the solution of a low-dose (40mg) prophylactic dose of Lovenox until 20 weeks.

Now I'm pregnant (6w2d) and yesterday we went back to the second MFM prepared to start Lovenox. Figured we'd rather be safe than sorry. We saw a different doc in the practice who wanted to talk thru it with us again. She said, in a nutshell, there is nothing that indicates this will make any difference...but if we want to throw the kitchen sink at this, and have no regrets, we should move forward.

The only risk that really troubles me is this: She said almost no one is comfortable stopping and most end up using Lovenox/Heparin until delivery. She said the worst case is that I would have taken my shot too close to delivery and could not have an epidural. I'm ok with that as I was aiming for a unmedicated birth anyhow - however, if I required an ER c-section I'd have to have GA and miss my baby's birth. :(

Anyhow, just looking for insights on how you made your decision. I am leaning toward doing it, I think I'm just looking for some perspective (and cheerleaders :).

TIA!
Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
June'12 - First RE Visit
Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

Re: Anyone do Lovenox as a precaution (vs. necessity)?

• I was put on 40mg Lovenox by my RE following my 17week loss last year. At the time we had no real idea what caused the loss and since I have an MTHFR mutation (although mild) and this was going to be a last ditch effort- we decided to throw everything and the kitchen sink at the issue. I started Lovenox just before FET transfer and continued it until 17w4d.

At my 17w appointment, my new MFM cobbled together the hospital records and the accounts from the OB on call (now my main OB) and DH and I and identified the loss as being caused by PTL/IC. He went ahead and checked my blood panel while pregnant and when he noted that I had absolutely no clotting issues- he recommended we stop the Lovenox- but he didn't require that I stop it.

All it really took to convince me was that my blood panels *while pregnant* were clear of clotting issues. I didn't trust the panels done while I wasn't pregnant. Since we were going to be treating the real issue that caused my loss last year with a cerclage and P17 shots- I felt comfortable going off the Lovenox at his recommendation.

If there had been any real uncertainty though- I'd have stayed on it. I liked the feeling that I was doing something to help keep my baby cooking- even if it turned out to be a false security. No regrets about being on the Lovenox. And no regrets about coming off it either.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Thank you for your insight! I appreciate it. So sorry for your loss as well :(.

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Lurking... I'm not currently PG but was on lovenox for both of my PGs due to a hx of blood clots but no positive tests. I had a autoimmune kidney disorder that caused blood clots but have been clot year for 13 years. Still, they decided as a precaution to put me on the lovenox injections. I had to stop both times because of SCH (unrelated) and then the second time I broke out in hives and a rash. When we go for PG #3 my MFM has decided we will hold off until 12 weeks to see if that improves our chances of making it out of first tri. My last MMC I MC'd at 11w1d. HTH!

Me: 31 * DH: 33 * TTC since Sept 2012
    Hx of Pulmonary Embolisms, Right Sided Heart Failure and Nephrotic Syndrome 2001
    Dx w/ Hashimotos 1998 * Dx w/ Systemic Lupus 2005 * Dx w/ PCOS 2012
    Began working with RE Dec 2012February 2013: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel  BFP # 1: 2/26/13 * EDD 11/9/13 * MMC at 7w5d -- 3/27/13 * D&C 3/28/13May 2013: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + PIO + Lovenox  BFP # 2: 6/6/13 * EDD 2/18/14 * MMC at 11w1d -- 7/31/13 * D&C 8/1/13RPL Testing & Karotyping was normal for both of usEmbryo testing was inconclusiveBenched July 2013- January 2014 due to Lupus FlareWTF appt 2/12/14IVF is OUT and Clomid + Ovidrel + Endometrium is in... AGAINBFP # 3: 2/28/14 * EDD: 11/12/14 * CP 3/1/14TTC on our own until April 2014*A persons a person no matter how small*
    My Ovulation Chart
    imageimage
    *All PgAL/PAL Welcome*

• Thanks all. I did decide to start Lovenox and plan to stay on until 36 weeks and switch to heparin. The only risk is if I have a fast labor or ER that requires a c-section within 12 hours of my last shot, then you can't do epi or spinal...so hopefully I'll have a nice 14-hour ftm labor and/or no c-section, then no worries! Thanks again!

June'12 - First RE Visit
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!

imageimageimageimage

• I was on a crowded 24 hour flight from central asia during over Thanksgiving 2011 in order to return to the states to give birth (hubby in foreign service, no decent medical care in host country). I developed bloodcots in both legs as a result. Long story short everything turned out ok but my obgyn told me that even though I was not genetically predisposed to bloodclots, I would have to go on Lovenox / baby aspirin for future pregnancies. I am currently 20+ wks pregnant with baby #2 in Germany and they have me taking 40mg of Clexane and baby aspirin. I have to do this for the entire run, and I plan on going back to the states for this baby as well (thankfully it will be a much shorter flight). It sucks (I hate needles), but it is better to be safe than sorry and it is not the end of the world and I am glad to be on it.
  • I am on lovenox, after multiple losses. Take 40 mg, twice a day. I will be on til 34 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"