October 2013 Moms

Getting Mirena today...

Anyone have or had mirena and have any pros/cons/advice about the procedure or subsequent problems?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage

Re: Getting Mirena today...

• Thanks.  I'm nervous.
  • I had some cramping for about a day. Ibuprofen helped a lot.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't feel mine at all when she put it in. Had some slight cramping and light spotting for a couple days.

I did notice a decrease in my milk supply after it was put in :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
  • sfshortersfshorter member
    edited December 2013
    jnsmith85 said:

I didn't feel mine at all when she put it in. Had some slight cramping and light spotting for a couple days.

@jnsmith85 Crap. I've been worried about this. Were you able to pump and get it back?
  • I had it done. It wasn't very painful, like PP said it's like a pap. I got it done almost four weeks ago and it's been off and on spotting and my period since. Kind of a pain but oh well. I had a slight decrease in supply as well, but my supply was never something to write home about. I started taking fenugreek and it's back to where it was.

• sfshorter said:

jnsmith85 said:

I didn't feel mine at all when she put it in. Had some slight cramping and light spotting for a couple days.

@jnsmith85 Crap. I've been worried about this. Were you able to pump and get it back?
    It hasn't come back yet, but we have been out of town and pretty busy since it was put in last Monday, that I haven't had the chance to pump more often then every 6hours. Sometimes I have had to go even longer than that. Hopefully this week I can work on it a lot more!!!

Feb Siggy Challenge
  • sarahcatiesarahcatie member
    edited December 2013
    I had one before I got pregnant and I hated it. I was always crampy...for the 2 years I had it in. And while it did significantly shorten and lighten my periods while I had it, after it came out was a nightmare. I had one normal period, then the next time started hemorrhaging. I bled for 3 months until finally having a D&C to stop it. I will never get it again.

ETA: fat fingers
    photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
  • I love my Mirena.  I didn't find any change in milk supply with mine. FWIW I've heard the drop in milk supply would be similar to if you took the mini pill, so some people advocate doing a trial on the mini pill before getting the Mirena. I've never actually met someone who did that, though, so FX for you! 

With my first one I had cramping for a month, spotting for 3 days, and 3 months worth of regular/light periods before my period stopped altogether. With my second one (this time) I had cramping for 3 days, spotting for 3 weeks, and haven't had a period PP. I'm hoping I won't have a PP period, which seems plausible considering that I tend to lose my period for all sorts of reasons--stress, travel, working out too much, losing 5 lbs, standing on my head the day before its supposed to start, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Thanks all!   My doctor actually wanted me to wait until now @ almost 9 weeks and my supply was established before doing much.  He did prescribe me to mini pill at my 6 wk to hold me over until my mirena came in if I was determined to DTD, but I never filled it.  He said he wasn't really worried about it messing with my supply assuming I, "put baby to breast every 3 hours or so, drink plenty and get your extra calories."  

The procedure wasn't bad at all.  I had some heavy bleeding right after but now I'm just spotting and feeling mildly crampy.  I'm assuming tomorrow might be a bit worse since the second day is usually when you start feeling things, but maybe not.  Hoping this doesn't mess with my milk at all, but I went right out and got Mother's milk tea.  I went for fenugreek but the GNC I went to was out of it, so I just grabbed MMT and will order some fenugreek online asap.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"