February 2014 Moms

New vs. Old Pump

Hi!  I have an old Medela pump (6 years old).  Should I buy a new one?  I'm thinking that a newer model might be more efficient, better designed, etc?  But I also don't want to spend the money unnecessarily.  Thoughts?  Thanks!! 

Re: New vs. Old Pump

• Kind of depends on how it's holding up. I'd run it and see how much suction you're getting (on your hand or something, of course...). You can always just get new tubes and whatnot.
  • You may not need to shell out any money - breast pumps are now required to be covered by health insurance (though depending on your company, it may not be the brand/model that you're looking for).
    formerly skoczera
    ~s.h.
    38 y.o. w/PCOS

F14 October Siggy Challenge - Animals in Costume
    ...image...

August Siggy Challenge-Rainbows & Unicorns

March 10, 2014 - G was born

Lilypie First Birthday tickers    Anniversary       
  • Loading the player...
  • Id test it first. Maybe call Medela and ask if there is anything you can do to get it ready again. Also, don't forget to call your insurance and see what they will cover. It may not be a Medela but at least it could be your back up if the Medela fails?

• I plugged mine in (after 4 years) and it seems to be working like a champ (the PISA).  On Amazon I found all the parts, together in a set, for  $19. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ehighlan said:
    I plugged mine in (after 4 years) and it seems to be working like a champ (the PISA).  On Amazon I found all the parts, together in a set, for  $19. 

This exactly! :) Have the same pump and just ordered parts on Amazon.

I am going to check with my insurance also though, bc I know they cover a lot of nursing accessories.

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would try using your old one with new parts. That was my plan, but Kaiser gives out "free" double electric Medelas with my insurance. I get mine at my 36 week appointment this week.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I exclusively pumped with DS1 so my Medela PISA got a heavy workout.  I nursed DS2 but did pump a lot when I went back to work.  It was sort of not holding up too well when I put it away after DS2 was done, but I kept it just in case.

Now that pumps are covered by insurance, I'm definitely going to get a new one!

• bribbon said:

I had two double-electric pumps (Ameda and Avent Isis IQ) from DD's babyhood; I used them for 1+ year, pulled them out with DS 4 years later, and used them without incident for another 1+ year. I plan to do the same thing again, if they hold up!

ETA why would you need new parts?

The plastic tubing breaks down over time.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"