December 2013 Moms

Lo sleeps alllll day

We have to wake lo up to feed during the day. She sleeps all day and nothing phases her. Then she is up alllll night long. Any suggestions to make her switch up her day and nights? We are exhausted for sure.

Re: Lo sleeps alllll day

• How old is she?

• Loading the player...
  • She's just over a week old. We are doing all those things already but no luck yet!
  • We had a major turnaround the night after I kept him in the sun all morning for jaundice. Since then, I've made sure to get him some good sun time on every sunny morning.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • glowpoint said:

We had a major turnaround the night after I kept him in the sun all morning for jaundice. Since then, I've made sure to get him some good sun time on every sunny morning.

It is winter here so can't take her out but will try to sit her in front of a window if there is any sun here. It has
    been doom and gloom dark weather here unfortunately.
  • She's just over a week old. We are doing all those things already but no luck yet!

She's too young to know the difference and you should be waking her to feed at this point. Google circadian rhythm. It can take babies up to a year to get used to days/nights (but most 2-4 months).

• Mine is the same way. I asked the nurse practitioner at the pediatrician's office about it today, and she said to make sure that he gets a lot of sunlight during the day (stays in a bright room) and that his nighttime is as dark as possible (feed and change him with only a nighlight if possible). She also told me to meet his basic needs at night (feed him and change poopy/really wet diapers when he's awake and crying), but not to talk to/cuddle/coddle him while meeting these needs. And, obviously, try to stimulate him as much as possible during the day.

I know this is a hot topic around here, but she basically said that it's not too early to start to establish nighttime as non-hangout time.

My baby is 10 days old.
  • She's too young to realize it's night and time to sleep. Think of it this way, she spent 9 months with her days and nights reversed, it's gonna take a few weeks minimum for her to get them straight.

• Yeah my LO sleeps all day but when he chooses to be awake we engage him as muh as possible. Also the sunlight helps if you can get it or just a bright room. Good luck my guy is pretty good about sleep in general.
  • Mine is the same way. I asked the nurse practitioner at the pediatrician's office about it today, and she said to make sure that he gets a lot of sunlight during the day (stays in a bright room) and that his nighttime is as dark as possible (feed and change him with only a nighlight if possible). She also told me to meet his basic needs at night (feed him and change poopy/really wet diapers when he's awake and crying), but not to talk to/cuddle/coddle him while meeting these needs. And, obviously, try to stimulate him as much as possible during the day. I know this is a hot topic around here, but she basically said that it's not too early to start to establish nighttime as non-hangout time. My baby is 10 days old.

my pedi basically said the same at the one week appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my LO as well. I was really stressing out about it but figured it wasn't worth all the stress. He will figure it out eventually.

• LO is 3.5 weeks and still has her days and nights mostly confused. She will give us decent stretches at night but she also has a decent stretch of awake time between feedings! For example, she was wiiiiide awake 11pm-1:30am last night. There's really not much you can do except like PP said, lights and noise during the day, dark and quiet at night. 1 week old is definitely too young to be worrying about that. It'll be a few more weeks before your LO may start to get the hang of it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We started a nighttime routine, which has helped. Bath time, feed with very little light, super tight swaddle, then a book or some classical music. Doing that every night seems to calm & relax her to sleep for a good stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"