July 2014 Moms
Options

Space is tight- basics for baby furniture?

So, I'm thinking I'll have the LO in my (smallish) bedroom at least for a few months after she gets here. What are the furniture basics that I need for LO? I'm definitely thinking either a PnP or RnP, changing pad to go on top of the dresser, and maybe a chair for me sit up at night in. Other suggestions?

Re: Space is tight- basics for baby furniture?

• Options
    Honestly even the chair isn't necessary. I spent most MOTN wake ups with DD on the couch in the living room.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I'm interested in hearing what everyone says too b/c we are in a one bedroom condo
    Married since June 2008

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    TTC Post Chemotherapy
    Unexplained Infertility

DH- SA Normal, Lap on 8/8/13
    BFP! 11/7/13 EDD 07/15/14 changed to 07/23/14 after first u/s

My Ovulation Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    RNP will definitely be smaller.  If you want to go ahead and get a crib, we have a small one that was super affordable from IKEA.  Their cribs are surprisingly highly rated on baby bargains.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was really glad to have our RnP. For $40 or whatever, it was a great investment since DS didn't like to sleep flat on his back even in the PnP. The PnP did get more use just because it can be used longer and for travel when the baby outgrows the RnP. 

A glider/rocker chair probably isn't a necessity if you don't have the space but if you can fit one, it's nice. We upgraded to a rocking recliner last year because I spent so much time sitting in an old glider with a sleeping baby that wasn't super comfortable.

• Options
    I can't imagine not having had our swing (with a/c adaptor). That being said, some babies don't like the swing so it can be a gamble.

image image
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I was thinking PnP for her to have something to play around in while she's awake. Do they really even need that in the beginning? Or just the RnP to sleep in?
  • Options
    I was thinking PnP for her to have something to play around in while she's awake. Do they really even need that in the beginning? Or just the RnP to sleep in?
    PnP was a complete waste for me. 100% waste. 
  • Options
    I would die without my chair, I did all night feedings in it. But DD was in her own room, if LO is in your room maybe you'd just nurse/feed in bed? If you have to get a bottle ready maybe you'd be just as close to livingroom. Honestly think of how you'd want to do things at night.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Put them on the floor on a blanket. Tummy time is very important. But just stick them on the floor! No need for a separate PnP for playing. They can't move ... so you don't have to worry about them getting into anything on the floor. Maybe if you have pets or something, it might be a concern. But really the floor is fine.
    I agree, floor. I still didn't use playpen til LO was crawling. Then it was nice when I did laundry, showered, etc and couldn't watch her or dogs.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My kids both slept in a pnp the first couple month next to our bed. I fed and changed them in my bed usually in the middle of the night. Chairs and changing tables would just be excess if you are limited in space. You'll need a bin of some sort with diapers, wipes and burp rags but that's it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had a foster baby once, he stayed in our room.  We have a small house, so it was just easier to have him in a bassinet for the first few months.  We also had a bouncy seat that laid down during the day - this baby slept most of the day & was awake most of the night... 

My DH was a great help.  We had a changing table in the living room, that help keep things in on place... don't know where we'd put it now we got a love seat/sofa this spring... 

We didn't get a pack n play until the baby was crawling, that helped.

What is a RnP?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    PNP was a waste. I DID use the changing table thing on it...to find that it hurts like hell to bend that low after a CS and I needed a proper changing table. Ultimately, we got a convertible crib/day bed/full bed with an attached changing table that becomes a free standing book case- a couple of months in. We co-slept, though, so he didn't use that to sleep in beyond some naps. While it's not my favorite set, I think it's one of the most used things so far, but not right off when baby is a NB. Baby sling was important. They won't move for the first few months. A swing chair also saved the day when he wouldn't sleep even after hours of rocking (very colicy). I also utilized a stroller, with the car seat insert,  inside when I couldn't hold him for long periods of time, right away, but wanted him close by.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    We're living with my parents right now due to housing issues (ugh) and will still be here after the baby is born. We will actually probably try to move while i'm on maternity leave. We're getting a RnP and a swing to start because the baby will have to share our room. DH's sister and BIL are going to give us the crib they have, apparently the kid (18mo) only slept in in once or twice and just keep it in storage till we have room for it. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    I'd go with the Rock N Play next to your bed. I don't use our Pack N Play until my child is crawling, mostly as a way to keep them safe while I do laundry, shower, cook... Our nursery is a smaller room, so we have a dresser with a changing table top on it. Other than the crib, that's the only furniture in the nursery. I sat in my husband's old recliner instead of buying a glider/ottoman combo.
  • Options
    We had a RnP for my LO.  Bought it on CL for $20, in excellent condition.  I had a changing table, but ended up selling it because I never used it.  Just as easy to change LO on the floor... especially when they get bigger.  Like PP mentioned, rocking chair was useless.  Awkward to nurse in, if you plan on nursing.  I always took LO to the living room and sat on the couch so DH could sleep.

So really... all I used was the RnP :)
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Options
    I wouldn't put the chair in your bedroom, unless you want SO to have to be up everytime you are up with the baby and you to be up everytime SO is up with the baby.  I would opt for a nice rocker addition to your living room.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Biggest waste of furniture for us was the changing table. We used it for the first month or so, but then it became a catch-all for crap (we lived with my MIL, so the 3 of us shared a room). The best was probably her bouncy chair. I could get anything done if I would just put her in that.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    We did not have a crib till DD was 9 months old.  She slept in the PNP.  It had a bassinet that played music and vibrated.  She loved it.  Then as she got bigger we moved the settings down in the PNP just like you would a crib.  We changed her mostly in that or on the floor.  DS used it for quite awhile too but he was mobile much quicker than DD was so he went to the crib sooner than she did.  The bouncy chair was another big one with both kids.  The bouncy chair was great as well and a changing table.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    WE used a PnP a lot with DD. I'm thinking of the RnP to save space this time and the PnP in our room until LO sleeps through the night. Then I'll use the PnP for changing and the RnP can be in the living room or wherever else.

I also found a swing to be necessary. Fisher Price has a space saver one that you could use if you needed.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"