Pregnant after 35

Cystic fibrosis carrier

I just found out i am a carrier so my partner must go for blood test to see if he is a carrier. I am so nervous. Has anyone else had to go through this.

Re: Cystic fibrosis carrier

• No experience just wanted to say Thoughts and Prayers for you and your lo!
  • I took that same test (mine was called Counsyl I think) and so did my husband but we are not both carriers of anything the same luckily. I am sure the odds of your husband also being a carrier of cystic fibrosis are very very low, so try not to stress out too much! Hoping you have good results quickly and can continue enjoying your pregnancy!
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The odds of both you and your DH being a carrier are very low.  But, rest assured, if God forbid you are both carriers, there is still a low chance of you having a baby with CF.  My sister and my BIL are both carriers and are due to have twins in January, both babies have been tested and do not have CF.

• I tested indeterminate for Tay-Sachs, so my DH had to be tested. Fortunately, he was negative. 

It is a scary thought, but the odds are fairly low. Fingers crossed for you that your DH is negative. Hugs!

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• I am sorry you are going through this.  I went through it as well - found out during my first PG that I am a carrier.  Dr. assured me there was a very low chance of DH also being a carrier but lo and behold he actually is.  We were shocked.  Then we had to have a CVS to test our baby for CF and the results took three long weeks.  It was really stressful to go through but in the end he is not even a carrier.

To go through some odds with you, one in 31 Caucasians are carriers of CF.  I believe the concentration of carriers are of Northern European descent, but I may be wrong.  Then if you are both carriers, the odds of your baby having CF are 1 in 4, so 25%.  So at this point the chances of your DH being a carrier and your baby actually having CF are pretty low.

If it turns out you are both carriers, for subsequent pregnancies you do have the option of conceiving using IVF w/PGD, which means they screen the embryos for CF prior to implantation.  DH and I considered this option for our second pregnancy but for a variety of reasons ended up just conceiving naturally again and this baby is not even a carrier either. 

Best of luck to you - I know it was stressful and I really agonized about it during my first PG.  This time for some reason I always just felt like everything was going to be okay, except for a few days when our CVS results were delayed and I freaked out a little. 

• I went through it too when pregnant with my first. I was so worried waiting for dh to be tested and the results, especially as he is Jewish with European descent which gave him higher odds. We were lucky and he came back negative. My cousin was pregnant shortly after and she was tested and also had the gene so in the end we tracked the rogue gene down to my dad's side of the family and several of my cousins have it too. Fx that everything turns out well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"