November 2012 Moms
Options

Sleeping issues?

I believe the last time my LO slept threw a night was before he learned to crawl... He's now running and climbing onto the table and being very independent.

He goes to sleep around 8. He sleeps great until around one normally. Then between 1-5:30 (typically) he wakes up 1-3 times. I leave a bottle of water in his crib and I will give that to him. He will drink a bit fall back asleep and throw it to the side to roll over. Usually at 3 he tries to "get up" for the day and I might rock h n his crib and let him drink till he sleeps again. If he's not trying to play and wake up its the bottle alone.  At 5:30 he pretty much flat refuses to sleep again. If you get up you can tell he's still a lil tired... Sometimes after an hr or two he will sleep again for about 1.5hrs. 

He did just break through tooth 3&4 on the bottom row. Up to 8 teeth now. 

I just dunno what to do really to make him start sleeping through the night again. I don't want him crying till he's sick or throwing a huge fit. He's got such a temper. Lol... Wish I had a baby who loved sleep and sleeping in!! Any tips!?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Sleeping issues?

• Options
    I wish I had answers for you, but I am interested in hearing responses.This sounds like V a bit. He goes down for the night between 8:30 and 9 without a problem. Sleeps till about 2:30 ish and then fights me for at least an hour. We noticed that lately he's been waking STARVING in the morning so I suspect a grow spurt. Maybe he's hungry in MOTN? Don't want to get him into habit of eating MOTN If he's not hungry though. Twice I tried the bottle thing and he took only 4 oz each time, but then he still threw a tantrum. I can sometimes tell now from his scream if he's upset about some thing or just ticked off that I'm not coming in. 

I now have been doing CIO for about an hour max. He usually stops after 10 min and lies down. Ether he will go to sleep (on a good night) or most recently (since he was sick) sits in crib but doesn't sleep. Then the crying begins again. He's like that for about an hour. Then will sleep. If he doesn't stop after an hour I take him into bed with us. That's my sign there are bigger issues. 

Some days I wish he could just talk and tell me what he wants...it would make me more successful a as mom.....
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried an earlier bedtime? My LO goes down at 7 and sleeps fine. But she has always been a good night sleeper, at least since about 6 months old. Watch extra carefully for tired cues. Hope things get better for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is definitely not the best sleeper, especially when she's teething.  One thing that has helped me is that I do not use a baby monitor.  That way DD has to cry for a little bit before I even wake up.  Once she wakes me up, I try to wait a few minutes before getting out of bed.  Good luck!

• Options
    lanea8712lanea8712 member
    edited December 2013
    I've tried but he won't go down until 8. Right at 8 he's ready and goes with no fight. Any earlier he squirms and fights. The nights I have got him down earlier are still about the same. :-/ I've even tried later, no change!! I must just have a rotten sleeper. Not cool, I love sleep! ... Keep ideas coming if you have any!!
  • Options
    In his book Ferber discusses children who wake up in the middle of the night, are up for a couple of hours and then sleep again. According to him it's pretty common and sounds like what's happening with you. Correcting this involves tweaking bedtime and wake-up time. I wish I could find the chapter online but if I remember correctly you have to try and get him to consolidate his sleep while maintaining the same number of hours daily, so that might mean restricting naps during the day or putting him to sleep later so he gets the hours of sleep he needs continuously during the night and not chopped up during the day & night.

• Options
    In our case, K is up longer if we go in when he starts to cry. We dropped night feedings by no longer going in and he's never cried longer than 15 min before falling back to sleep. This week he was up 2 hours because we were at my mom's and didn't want to let him cry. Back fire!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    lanea8712lanea8712 member
    edited December 2013
    PaulaKNL said:
    In his book Ferber discusses children who wake up in the middle of the night, are up for a couple of hours and then sleep again. According to him it's pretty common and sounds like what's happening with you. Correcting this involves tweaking bedtime and wake-up time. I wish I could find the chapter online but if I remember correctly you have to try and get him to consolidate his sleep while maintaining the same number of hours daily, so that might mean restricting naps during the day or putting him to sleep later so he gets the hours of sleep he needs continuously during the night and not chopped up during the day & night.

I will give it a shot!! I've tried keeping him up later before but he went past sleepy into awake and didn't get down till lateee, but that was a couple months ago. We didn't do it repeatedly to see if it would change either because I was afraid it would bite me in the butt, since he still woke up early. I will try it though this time. 

He still takes two naps a day and sometimes up to two hours. I think I will tweak the second nap or get rid of it. When we are busy or out he will skip it or take a short one on the way home in the car. He's cranky but he does ok. Just going to take a couple of days to see if it will help! I'm praying it does. This mommy needs a peaceful night! 

He was completely off night bottles, I'd just pat or rock him a bit and he was right back asleep. I forget why I even started giving him a water bottle. I know now that it's winter the air is very dry and the drink helps him. He drinks an oz or two then back asleep the first couple wakes. The 3am-5am wakes are rough when he's thinking it's wake up time. 

I finially got a fix for the dry air, so I'm going to try and get rid of the water at night now too. Which should also help his occasional pee outs at night. Oi.this will be fun. :) thanks ladies! 

Wish us luck, and keep the ideas coming incase this doesn't work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"