Stay at Home Moms

Ways to get ground beef into my kid?

My DD's iron was just under the target range. I've been hiding puree'd spinach or kale in her yogurt and smoothies and would also like to try and get more red meat in her.

DH & I eat ground chicken and turkey so that's what she's used to now. Beef seems to be a little chewier for her I think? Some things she will only sometimes eat: meatballs, meat sauce with taco seasoning or red sauce to go with pasta.

What else can I try?

Re: Ways to get ground beef into my kid?

• DD won't touch ground beef. Like Hav said there are a lot of other iron rich foods to try-- beans, chickpeas, leafy greens- kale & spinach(smoothies), & tofu.
  • I make a meatloaf for the kids every week. I go to it when we make dinners the kids can't eat (like buffalo chicken). Ill also use it for lunches.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure she's getting enough vitamin C. It helps with iron absorption.

I ditto the meatloaf, it's very easy to chew, and also second trying more beans.
  • DS won't eat red meat either unless its in the form of filet mignon. He takes an iron supplement now per his pedi'ssuggestion.

• The body will absorb calcium before absorbing iron, so give her iron with vitamin C (which promotes the body's absorption of iron) and make sure she gets no calcium rich foods an hour prior or post.
  • britt1430 said:
    DS won't eat red meat either unless its in the form of filet mignon. He takes an iron supplement now per his pedi'ssuggestion.
    Who can blame him on that? ;)

I know, right? The kid won't touch a nugget or a cheeseburger but he'll eat a $40 filet

• Hav=Fath said:

How old is she?

I wouldn't worry about ground beef honestly, there are so many healthier foods that are high in iron. Does she eat a lot of eggs? There is more iron in an egg yolk than an ounce of ground beef. Also more iron in a small box of raisins than an ounce of ground beef. There are lots of others that are higher that she might like a lot more.

This. One of the questions on a nursing exam was which had the most iron and raisins, spinach and egg yolk was the correct answer over the red meat answer.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • My kids won't eat ground meat at all (beef, turkey or chicken), so I make sure they get spinach or other things to help with iron levels.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids won't eat ground meat at all (beef, turkey or chicken), so I make sure they get spinach or other things to help with iron levels.
    same- I think it's a texture thing...
  • I have given my LO red meat since about 9 months old.  He likes steak and such.  I just cut it up in little bite sized portions and he loves it.  Ground meat he's doesn't like as much but he will eat chili which I put ground meat into.  Oh, and lasagne too.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.
    Is there a specific type/brand of vitamin that is best?
    Unfortunately she's allergic to eggs, her allergies really limit what I can give her.
  • We buy lean ground beef. We have it maybe once a week. Her favorites are tacos, hamburgers and meatballs.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Dark cuts of meat have more iron like chicken thighs instead of breasts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"