September 2012 Moms

No Spend January roll call

Who is in? Do we want to have weekly check-ins? 

Re: No Spend January roll call

• DH and I are starting small with two weeks beginning on the sixth, I believe. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be, I'm looking forward to it this time, as DH is committed to being on board. I am hoping that it is easier since we are currently overwhelmed with stuff and gift cards for entertainment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We need to get on board since I will be quitting my job sooner than later for school. We are thinking February though
                  image     image
  • Maybe in Feb. My birthday is on the 11th and my car tags expire.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • We start Dave Ramsey on Jan 15th!

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • ktnicole said:
    We start Dave Ramsey on Jan 15th!
    Are you taking his financial peace class? or starting the envelope system?

• We're in 100%
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • So we are not doing a no-spend month, but I am going to do a no random spend Jan-Mar as well. I will be leaving my cc at home. If I need something I will buy it, but not only if I want it. No random trips to Target where I spend over $100 on nothing at all, no Old Navy/Loft/Limited/Carters because OMG they are having a sale. 

We have a few birthdays and some major travel coming up, so no spend is not realistic, but being more mindful is totally possible.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • So we are not doing a no-spend month, but I am going to do a no random spend Jan-Mar as well. I will be leaving my cc at home. If I need something I will buy it, but not only if I want it. No random trips to Target where I spend over $100 on nothing at all, no Old Navy/Loft/Limited/Carters because OMG they are having a sale

We have a few birthdays and some major travel coming up, so no spend is not realistic, but being more mindful is totally possible.
    The above bolded is probably my biggest weakness.  I need to just delete the sale alert e-mails before I even open them.  

• jenmbott said:

ktnicole said:

We start Dave Ramsey on Jan 15th!

Are you taking his financial peace class? or starting the envelope system?

Financial peace, phone died trying to edit that!

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • jenmbott said:
    So we are not doing a no-spend month, but I am going to do a no random spend Jan-Mar as well. I will be leaving my cc at home. If I need something I will buy it, but not only if I want it. No random trips to Target where I spend over $100 on nothing at all, no Old Navy/Loft/Limited/Carters because OMG they are having a sale

The above bolded is probably my biggest weakness.  I need to just delete the sale alert e-mails before I even open them.  
    I use gmail so I started filtering them to be marked as opened with a sale label and to skip my inbox. So they don't show up on any of my tabs. I have to go looking for them.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • So we are not doing a no-spend month, but I am going to do a no random spend Jan-Mar as well. I will be leaving my cc at home. If I need something I will buy it, but not only if I want it. No random trips to Target where I spend over $100 on nothing at all, no Old Navy/Loft/Limited/Carters because OMG they are having a sale. 

I'm going to do the @Flamingemu plan.  Then if I get all bold and confident, I'll work my way up to no-spend months.

• pharmer78 said:
    So we are not doing a no-spend month, but I am going to do a no random spend Jan-Mar as well. I will be leaving my cc at home. If I need something I will buy it, but not only if I want it. No random trips to Target where I spend over $100 on nothing at all, no Old Navy/Loft/Limited/Carters because OMG they are having a sale. 

I'm going to do the @Flamingemu plan.  Then if I get all bold and confident, I'll work my way up to no-spend months.
    Seriously, there is just no reason for me to come home with any more clothing for myself or L until spring!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • here is my list of items that I would typically spend money on but I will refuse to buy this January:

coffee from DD
    Auntie Annie's pretzel with cheese sauce at the mall
    maternity clothes
    expensive items at the grocery store (pre-made smoothies etc.)
    baby clothes
    candles from Yankee
    no buying $x worth of a bunch of household items so I can get $x cash back (I type this as Price Chopper has their $10 rebate card for spending $30 on proctor and gamble products)

• jenmbott said:
    I assumed that a no spend month meant not spending on things that were unnecessary.  But I know some items are on the border of need/want.  For example, if we run out of diaper rash cream, I'm gonna go out and buy it.  Right?  It doesn't seem possible not to spend money period. 
    When we do no spend months, we try to keep it to things we NEED. For example if my kid needs meds/ointment, we will buy it; if however I see a new hand lotion I want to try I don't buy it (unless we have no lotion in the house). I also find that it works better if I leave my CC's at home, I'm less likely to stop and pick up 'just one thing' which always turns into ooh look what's on sale.

I guess for us it is just a matter of putting our wants on a back burner list, and being very aware of where our money is going.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're in but can I just say that the "no spend" isn't spend literally nothing. You plan ahead, have a set amount of money you'll spend on x,y,z and then save the rest. For us this means no eating out, entertainment will be free or very low cost like renting a movie. You can't spend no money throught a month but cutting back to the basics. For us this worked wonders in November. Starting January we will be using the envelope system as we did in November and we'll meal plan. We'll cut our spending as well. We'll plan ahead for expenses like birthdays too.

• I think we are going to join in because DH is starting dialysis this month and that means a total shift in our budget/ money.  So, no spending/ cutting the fat/ being smarter with our money sounds good to me!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• I want to try this and still have 2 days to get DH on board. He agrees that we need to budget better and get our spending in check, but he thinks that no-spend is a bit extreme. I've meal planned the month out and have vowed to grocery shop only once/week (as opposed to almost daily trips that I do now) and cutout Starbucks all month. I am a little worried that February will be heavier spending as a result of putting off some things in January.
  • We're in - for us it's mostly going to be a "no going out to eat" January, as well as no personal shopping for the three of us.
  • I'm in! I promised H I would get my spending in check because our house is going to be a huge expense, and I don't want to skimp anywhere.

Really, I need to do a no-spend 2014. :)

• JAM828 said:
    We're in. Our biggest issue is eating out, so it's going to be a rough month. Damn Arby's.
    We like to eat out too, for convenience, so that might be a challenge. Then again, I want to lose a few pounds, so it will help with that. I don't care what Subway says, their subs don't make me skinny lol

Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • JAM828 said:
    We're in. Our biggest issue is eating out, so it's going to be a rough month. Damn Arby's.
    We like to eat out too, for convenience, so that might be a challenge. Then again, I want to lose a few pounds, so it will help with that. I don't care what Subway says, their subs don't make me skinny lol

We're also hoping to combine no spend/no eating out with losing weight. Since I can't buy new pants, obviously.
  • Any advice on how to get DH on board?  As we speak DH is out at a bar having beer and chicken wings.  This is a typical thing that happens 3 -4 times per week and the spending adds up.  He justifies it by saying that we are financially stable.  He has never been deprived of anything in his life. Nor has he experienced  the 'broke as shit college days' where he would have learned how to live frugally.  

• hmp1hmp1 member
    edited December 2013
    We are doing it. We already budget pretty well so our plan is that our play money should move into our kitchen/vacation fund at the end of the month. I do plan to cheat a bit by still shopping with gift cards. It is how I will curb my fix. Sadly, I have no BST gift cards. That seems to be my big money suck these days.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• jenmbott said:
    Any advice on how to get DH on board?  As we speak DH is out at a bar having beer and chicken wings.  This is a typical thing that happens 3 -4 times per week and the spending adds up.  He justifies it by saying that we are financially stable.  He has never been deprived of anything in his life. Nor has he experienced  the 'broke as shit college days' where he would have learned how to live frugally.  
    Instead of doing a month do 1 week then make the goal larger. Tell him that you are excited to try it and see how it goes. Anyone can do it for a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"