April 2014 Moms

Black Fish

If any of you haven't seen this Netflix documentary yet prepare yourself for a cry Fest!!

Re: Black Fish

• I just watched this, almost as tear jerking as as The Cove.
  • I know! When the moms are crying for their babies, heart breaking!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Loading the player...
  • I've watched a lot of the orca attacks before the documentary came out, idk why, weird obsession I guess, so I was so excited to see it! Then the morning after a facebook friend posted "Before you jump on the bandwagon hating SeaWorld, read this!" It was a bunch of BS defending the corporation I wanted to scream, 
  • I was a sobbing mess when I watched this. Omg - the part about the mom whale crying long range signals for her baby?!?!? I still get choked up. Fuck sea world.
  • I just watched this, almost as tear jerking as as The Cove.

I haven't seen that one!? I'll start the popcorn ....
  • eme520 said:

BuggasMom said:

I just watched this, almost as tear jerking as as The Cove.

I haven't seen that one!? I'll start the popcorn ....

Oh god The Cove, I'm still emotionally scarred from that one!

What is it about? I am so curious now! Is it a must see but hate your life after ? Or.... a watch and don't sleep at night ?
  • I hated Sea World before this (and all circuses, and the list goes on..). I can't even imagine watching this movie - especially now! I have to skip it, but I am so glad the word is getting out about how horrible these places are!
  • sking72 said:

I've watched a lot of the orca attacks before the documentary came out, idk why, weird obsession I guess, so I was so excited to see it! Then the morning after a facebook friend posted "Before you jump on the bandwagon hating SeaWorld, read this!" It was a bunch of BS defending the corporation I wanted to scream, 

I totally netflixed all the whale shows I could find after this one I was fascinated on how smart they are! I had no idea?
  • sking72sking72 member
    edited December 2013
    I've always known they were intelligent animals, but watching the video (on youtube before seeing Black Fish) where the orca takes the very experienced trainer (Ken was his name) down to the bottom, holds him, brings him back up, takes him down again, and then releases him, you can "see" her thinking. The way he's coaxing her after she brings him up the first time, and then as soon as he starts trying to signal to other trainers, she takes him back down just seemed like a "Fuck you, what are they gonna do about it?" move on the whale part. and when she follows him after she lets go of his foot is just eerie. She obviously could catch him if she wanted to, but she's just screwing with him. And she swims around and breeches to see him after they've pulled him out of the water, blows some air and swims away, quite a condescending move in my opinion! Smart smart animals! 

Sorry for length, but I love talking to people about this. I'm fascinated by the fact that there are so many attacks. Heartbroken that SeaWorld repeatedly blames the injured and deceased for actions that are very obviously not as they call it "trainer error"

Edit: I don't mean to make it sound like I'm siding with the trainer in the first paragraph and make the whale seem like the ass, I meant more to bring up how intelligent the animals are that they don't let people get away with it and "play" with the trainers
  • eme520 said:

The Cove is about dolphins. Specifically it talks about those who are captured for those "pet the dolphin" experiences and it pretty gruesomely details a mass killing of dolphins. You will see things you can't unsee.

My curiosity might get the best of me and have to see that one. Sounds intense and heartbreaking ... Why do I do this to my self?
  • sking72 said:

I've always known they were intelligent animals, but watching the video (on youtube before seeing Black Fish) where the orca takes the very experienced trainer (Ken was his name) down to the bottom, holds him, brings him back up, takes him down again, and then releases him, you can "see" her thinking. The way he's coaxing her after she brings him up the first time, and then as soon as he starts trying to signal to other trainers, she takes him back down just seemed like a "Fuck you, what are they gonna do about it?" move on the whale part. and when she follows him after she lets go of his foot is just eerie. She obviously could catch him if she wanted to, but she's just screwing with him. And she swims around and breeches to see him after they've pulled him out of the water, blows some air and swims away, quite a condescending move in my opinion! Smart smart animals! 

Sorry for length, but I love talking to people about this. I'm fascinated by the fact that there are so many attacks. Heartbroken that SeaWorld repeatedly blames the injured and deceased for actions that are very obviously not as they call it "trainer error"

Edit: I don't mean to make it sound like I'm siding with the trainer in the first paragraph and make the whale seem like the ass, I meant more to bring up how intelligent the animals are that they don't let people get away with it and "play" with the trainers

I also found it fascinating how statics have found no deaths attributed to whales in the wild but 30 accounted in captivity. And yet they still hold these poor whales captive and hide their tracks and cash in on these poor animals.
  • kateleestarkateleestar member
    edited December 2013

sking72 said:

I've watched a lot of the orca attacks before the documentary came out, idk why, weird obsession I guess, so I was so excited to see it! Then the morning after a facebook friend posted "Before you jump on the bandwagon hating SeaWorld, read this!" It was a bunch of BS defending the corporation I wanted to scream, 

Yes, but like any documentary - they tell the story they want to tell. 

I'm not saying there isn't plenty of truth to it, but it's not the WHOLE story. We'll never get the whole story, unfortunately. 

Watching The Cove was upsetting enough to me and I have not reason to watch this one at this point. 

----------------------------------------

I agree with this, totally. DH worked at sea world (when we had one back in the day in Ohio) in the summers in HS and in college, and he loved it....

We actually had a long conversation today about this. I don't like documentaries because they are sometimes one sided, but he watches them.. Oh, three times a week. Any documentary, it's weird. Our poor Netflix, lol. Anywho, I agree that we won't ever know the whole story - SW didn't want to be interviewed by the makers of the film because they figured that whatever they said wouldn't be used properly. Ooh, maybe this is my FFFC, lol.

On a more flamey note, we went to SW every summer when I was a kid. And loved it. I was sad when they closed ours because I wouldn't be able to take my kids there... Boo. One of my good friends is a marine biologist/researcher/crazy lady in Alaska only because of her SW exposure, and she's saving whales every day.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

image  image image

• Yeah I definitely keep that in mind, I actually want to look at their sources and do some mini research myself... When I have time which will probably be never. Haha. Although I did start looking at all of this stuff before blackfish came out so maybe there's a chance ill actually do it!
  • Also, I feel weird being so anti seaworld yet loving going to the zoo. I know they are two very different things because people aren't in there working with the animals and being killed but it's still a sad sad place for the animals. BUT if it werent for zoos, so many people would never see and learn or care about animals the way they do. Same with the whales, we wouldn't be able to experience them the same way and there is only so much you can do once they're captive. There are always two sides to every story!
  • This may be yitalky inappropriate but I find it completely relevant... FREE WILLY!!!

I'm from Napa CA, and when I was younger I went to camp at a park called Marine World, and we got to do special "lessons/work missions" with all of the major exhibits. Played with baby tigers, fed, touched and played(from the side of the pool) with the orcas etc, I always thought it was so cool. As I grew up I realized how shitty it was that they live in a habitat the size of my back yard...(tiger wise) but that's totally the equivalent of a whales habitat as well. I thought animals were only held in Captivity if they were wounded etc, but that is totally not the case :(
  • Yes?

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is actually on my list to watch but luckily I have a good friend who is a zoologist and she gave me a list of humane and conservation friendly zoos.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
     All AL welcome.

• Serenla said:

This is actually on my list to watch but luckily I have a good friend who is a zoologist and she gave me a list of humane and conservation friendly zoos.

Care to share? :)

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • SerenlaSerenla member
    edited December 2013
    amhah09 said:

Serenla said:

This is actually on my list to watch but luckily I have a good friend who is a zoologist and she gave me a list of humane and conservation friendly zoos.

Care to share? :)
    I can grab it when I'm home but it is for New England since that is where we are. She used to work in TX and was applying in ID so I can ask about those areas as well.

Eta she worked for the San Antonio zoo and was quite proud of their breeding program for flamingos and also some endangered species.

All AL welcome.

• Yeah, I'll agree that documentaries present their side of course, but you're never going to convince me that keeping a huge, wild animal in a cage so small that they can't even turn around is fine for their mental health. Keeping animals that are endangered, etc, I get - but for our entertainment? I'll pass.
  • One of the reporters was quoted speaking on a news program in the documentary saying that all the orcas that are healthy enough and able should be released back into the wild. I'm not sure how I feel about that, because who knows what will happen and if they will survive. It's an awful truth. But she then suggested all the other whales that were 100% captive or the sick ones be put in a type of marina thing where they have lots of room to swim and get to experience the ocean, while still be monitored. 

Do the moms who refuse to take their children to SW or zoos have or had a hard time explaining to them why they can't do something fun? Do you include your kids in your "research" and tell them the truth about what is happening or are you waiting until they are older? Just curious! I joked with SO the only way LO and I would go to Seaworld was if we did research beforehand and corrected everything they lied to us about in a loud obtrusive way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"