Breastfeeding

Please advise on my weaning situation

Hello All- my LO just turned 12 months and I had always intended to cut back breastfeeding to the first morning and bedtime feedings. LO has been exclusively breastfed up to about a week ago. I had intended on doing a very gradual weaning process but very recently got pregnant. My supply has drastically lessened and, on top of that, it seems like my LO is not interested in breastfeeding during the day. She is still very into it first thing in the am and at night so I don't think my milk has changed taste. 

My dilemma is that I need to supplement the milk that she isn't getting (or at least some of it) and I am not sure how/how much. LO is eating much more solid food, which she loves. She doesn't drink anything else, expect the seldom sip of water. I tried to give her formula for the first time ever last week (Pediatrician said I should before LO turns 1, even though she was about a week away…). LO hated the formula and I felt like we might as well just try WCM since we would be doing that soon anyway. LO also equally hated the WCM. She has tried it about 10 times, takes a sip or two and stops. 

Does anyone have advice about what I should do? Should I try to increase my supply (I really had hoped to stop pumping and cut back on bfing)? I am nervous that my LO isn't getting enough liquid though. Thanks for taking the time to read! 

Re: Please advise on my weaning situation

• I would go with the WCM...formula just seems silly at this point.

My daughter adjusted to WCM by mixing it with BM. So if you have any extra BM to mix, that might help. Also your LO might prefer her WCM warm, so try that too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also mixed WCM with breastmilk while I was working on phasing out pumping.  I just added a little more WCM each day until it was all WCM and switched to sippy and straw cups.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not necessary for her to drink any milk after 12 months if she won't. Just give her other dairy like yogurt and cheese
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks for the recommendations ladies. 
  • i would keep trying to offer WCM (or mixed with BM if you have extra), but focus on encouraging yogurt and cheese.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I would just get into the habit of offering water as often as you can, or a dairy alternative to WCM if she doesn't like the taste. 

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since he was weaned at 16 and a half months, DS hasn't had anything other than. water to drink. He hates WCM, formula, skim milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. PPs are right - milk isn't necessary if your child is getting yogurt, cheese, and an otherwise healthy diet. But she definitely needs water! Just keep offering a sippy cup of water throughout the day. My son loves Elmo, so an Elmo sippy cup really encourages him to want to drink water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"