Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Traveling Without LO

I wanted to see what other parents thought about this. My DD is currently 9 months old, but will be 16 months old on my husband's 30th birthday, for which I would like to surprise him with a city break - just the two of us. I didn't know if she would be too young to be left with our family for 3 nights, or whether it would be okay. She is our first child. I am also breastfeeding and plan to carry on for as long as she wants, so I wasn't sure how this would affect that. It's not an ultra-important thing for us, but it is a special birthday and we desperately need some time alone! We tried this once before with the baby and it was a total nightmare, so bringing her is not an option! Just curious as this stage. Thanks!

Re: Traveling Without LO

• Options
    I think that would be totally fine - it'll probably be more difficult for you guys than for her!

Are you still nursing?  I'm leaving DD for 3 days when she is 17 months old, and I'm hoping to still be nursing morning/night at that time.  I'm scared she won't want to nurse anymore after 3 days away from me, and I'm assuming I'll have to pump morning and night to maintain that supply...
  • Options
    I think it will be fine. We left DD for 4 days when she was 18m and it went well. We were nursing up to that point too, but it felt like a natural stopping point so after that we were done. I didn't (and didn't want to) pump while we were away. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think that thus coooould mess with your breastfeeding-for-as-long-as-she-wants-to plan... Do you pump now? Are you regularly away from her for long periods of time? If it really is important to you to keep on nursing when you return, ask this on the Breastfeeding board too!
  • Options
    kjsmith9 said:
    I think that would be totally fine - it'll probably be more difficult for you guys than for her!

Are you still nursing?  I'm leaving DD for 3 days when she is 17 months old, and I'm hoping to still be nursing morning/night at that time.  I'm scared she won't want to nurse anymore after 3 days away from me, and I'm assuming I'll have to pump morning and night to maintain that supply...

So are you nursing twice a day, then? We are currently around 4x per day, (it's been more lately due to teething) but will be moving to 3 when I go back to work on the 6th of January. (Morning and night feed, with an expressed bottle midday.) I wasn't sure if we would be down to 2 by July since everywhere I've read, all the mothers are still feeding toddlers 5-6x a day! I don't know if that's because they are SAH. I wish I could stay home and feed on demand! Our health visitor told me she should be nursing 2-3x per day from 8 months, but I never felt that was enough, personally. And read very differently everywhere else. I think I will go ahead and repost elsewhere, too. Thanks for the suggestion on that, jociejones!
  • Options
    kjsmith9 said:

So are you nursing twice a day, then? We are currently around 4x per day, (it's been more lately due to teething) but will be moving to 3 when I go back to work on the 6th of January. (Morning and night feed, with an expressed bottle midday.) I wasn't sure if we would be down to 2 by July since everywhere I've read, all the mothers are still feeding toddlers 5-6x a day! I don't know if that's because they are SAH. I wish I could stay home and feed on demand! Our health visitor told me she should be nursing 2-3x per day from 8 months, but I never felt that was enough, personally. And read very differently everywhere else. I think I will go ahead and repost elsewhere, too. Thanks for the suggestion on that, jociejones!
    She was nursing at least 5x/day until she turned one.  When I was at work, she would have 8-12oz of BM.  Now she nurses morning and night, and does WCM at daycare.  On weekends she still nurses 3-4 times per day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"