2nd Trimester
Options

just released from the hospital (long story)

i was having contractions but the docs kept saying it was BH and to drink water and rest.  well i drank so much water my pee was clear (so clearly i'm not dehydrated) and i rested all day.  no position change would stop them.  i also took 2 warm baths and tylenol like they said i could.  i finally ended up going back in (after 2 er visits) and they admitted me.  apparently my fibroids were angry and my uterus was irritable and contracting.  cervix was still unaffected thank god, but i was given indomethacin to stop the contractions and steroids to help my baby develop should she come early, as i'm only 27 weeks.  the indomethacin did the job!  i felt so much better a few hours after the first dose and my nurse was even happy that he walked into my room and i was finally asleep.  i know the docs think so many of us come to the er whining and complaining, but i felt like i knew something wasn't right and i needed someone to really take a deeper look at me and not tell me to drink water, eat veggies, and understand that pregnancy comes with aches!  i really wanted to go in on the resident, as he didn't know i'm a medical professional also and know a lot more about my body than he thinks i do.  but he didn't have shit to say when i came back a few hours later and was admitted!  just wanted to give you all a quick update and let you know that sometimes you really have to be your own advocate.  had i been sitting around at home just drinking water waiting for the contractions to stop, who knows if my cervix would have eventually become affected and had me deliver my baby so early!  and while there still is no guarantee of this not happening, i feel better knowing that i did something to try to prevent it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: just released from the hospital (long story)

• Options
    Good for you! We Are the best advocates for our own bodies. Glad you and LO are ok.
  • Options
    Wow that was scary! Glad to hear the meds worked, God's looking over you. Thanks for posting your experience. I'm a newbie, I would have no idea if I was having BH or if it was something else. Gut intuition is an incredible thing. Just happy to see that all is well for you.
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited December 2013
    I had something similar and was diagnosed with irritable uterus with ds1. I was contracting (could see it on the machine even), but not dilating beyond a fingertip. They did put me on bed rest for about a week, but then I got sick of being on bed rest. No doubt, it was scary! But it really was not a big deal so long as I was not dialating. After the week, I went on about my business and just lived with the contractions...which went on about 2 to 3 months. Whenever they got too bad, I would rest and drink a lot of water...not that that even helped. So you may find yourself in the same boat when the meds wear off.

As a general rule, though, I completely agree on going with your gut. Better safe than sorry. I had severe pree and iugr that went undiagnosed at least a month despite even an L & D visit. It would have gone on longer if I had not really stood up for myself, demanded an ultrasound and collected my urine for 24 hours and demanded they test it.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    IBackBevo said:
    I had something similar and was diagnosed with irritable uterus with ds1. I was contracting (could see it on the machine even), but not dilating beyond a fingertip. They did put me on bed rest for about a week, but then I got sick of being on bed rest. No doubt, it was scary! But it really was not a big deal so long as I was not dialating. After the week, I went on about my business and just lived with the contractions...which went on about 2 to 3 months. Whenever they got too bad, I would rest and drink a lot of water...not that that even helped. So you may find yourself in the same boat when the meds wear off. As a general rule, though, I completely agree on going with your gut. Better safe than sorry. I had severe pree and iugr that went undiagnosed at least a month despite even an L & D visit. It would have gone on longer if I had not really stood up for myself, demanded an ultrasound and collected my urine for 24 hours and demanded they test it.

wow! good thing you did what you did.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"