Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping & Keeping supply

Hello! I have been back to work for about a week and have been pumping. DS is 3 months old and EBF. I last nurse him about 7:15am, and get the chance to nurse him next again at 5:15/5:30pm. He eats about 3oz every 2 hours or so during that time. I have been leaving him with 5 3 ounce bottles. First question, is that way too much? 15 ounces in 10 hours? I have read 1oz per hour. Second question, I so far have only had the chance to pump twice a day at work, but I am aiming for 3 times a day. I have been getting enough milk from my morning pump and those 2 pumps from work... But will I ruin my supply by only pumping twice when he is eating 5 times? Thanks SO much for any help! My goal is to make it to a year, so I want to be sure I start the pumping part out right!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pumping & Keeping supply

• Options
    Eventually, pumping only twice a day may reduce your supply. It may not, it's different for everyone. On most days, I pump 3 times at work, 10 am, 1 pm, 4 pm. I nurse her at 6:30 am and 6:00 pm and then throughout the evening and sometimes motn, if she needs it. She takes three, four ounce bottles in the 10.5 hours we are apart.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    15 ounces is a lot for 10 hours. I'd try doing 4 3oz bottles instead to see if you can lower that.

Pumping more often is going to be better in the long run. Can you add a pump after LO goes to bed?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely could add a pump after he goes to bed, just wasn't sure I should. He does wake up once a night to eat, sometimes twice. My husband has been staying with LO, he starts daycare after the new year, and says he really does need to have the 5 bottles a day. I have gone over with him bottle paced feeding, so I'm just really not sure. When I am at home all day with LO he nurses frequently also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    star328star328 member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks!! I think I will try lowering the ounces and see how that goes. I just want to have this figured out before day care starts... And am so scared of losing my supply. Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks again! I wasn't sure how permanent or not a supply dip is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"