Breastfeeding

Pumping

FTM with 3 week old baby girl EBF. Yesterday was my first day pumping. I nursed at 0800 for about fourty minutes on the left and then double pimped with my medals freestyle. In 20min I got 3.5 from the right and 1.5 from the left. Is this okay? I'm not sure if I can single pump with the freestyle or I would have pumped the right while nursing on the left. Also how long does it take to 'make more milk'. I'm nervous I'm going to pump and LOs going to get hungry again and I'll be out of milk. TIA

image Lilypie - (zGBv)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pumping

• Welcome to the world of pumping. That's actually quite a bit to pump (normal is about 1-1.5 ounces/hour). It's ok to do that once a day for stash, but I wouldnt do multiple unless an LC advised due to supply concerns.  

When we feel full and pump, we are telling our bodies to make more. So, pumping to empty for comfort (vs to replace a feeding) just tells body it needs it to refill. That's why you'll never be empty and can feed your LO shortly after pumping. 

You can single pump with the freestyle. Pull the unused nozzle/connector that would normally go into the assembly and plug it into the free little circle thingy (sorry, don't know the words and don't have pics) to close the loop. I hope that makes sense. If  not, let me know. I'll take a pic and post it. 
    Thanks. Yes my plan was just once a day for freezer stash and to get used to pumping for when I return to work. Do you recommend just single pumping (yes I did understand what you meant, lol) or is it okay to double pump after nursing just once first thing in the morning?

image Lilypie - (zGBv)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"