February 2013 Moms
Options

Creative present ideas for infants/toddlers

As some of us, especially those with older children, have mentioned on previous threads, many of us have a lot of toys in the house. I would really like to reduce the toy clutter and am trying to decide what to put on DD2's "wishlist" for her birthday. She does not need any more toys. DD1's birthday is in April, and she doesn't need anything, either.

Other than books, what can you think of that doesn't add to toy clutter? In another thread someone mentioned craft supplies, which DD1 would love but is obviously not age-appropriate yet for DD2. There are no children's museums around here, so I can't wish for a pass to anything like that.

What non-toy items are on your LO's birthday list?

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Creative present ideas for infants/toddlers

• Options
    My mom got DS swimming lessons one year. It was at a indoor pool so it was nice for winter. Also one year he got a "big boy" and bedding.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    For dd birthday and DS having surgery, we are taking them to the zoo. If anyone asks what DS needs for his birthday, I have been
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Saying clothes. My niece got dance lessons for her 2nd birthday.
  • Options
    I was also thinking about some sort of activity. Of course, the biggest problem with that is the lack of time. Can someone give me extra time as a present for the girls?? ;)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP

• Options
    I guess they are considered toys, but I know that I would still welcome puzzles and flash cards. Maybe because they are more educational? More kid plates, bowls, utensils, sippy cups. You mentioned that you're not near any museums, but what about mom & me classes (swimming, music, etc).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We've got several puzzles from DD1 and plenty of dishware for the kids, but in general those are definitely good ideas!

• Options
    This year my SIL and I are giving each other's kids "the gift of time". DH and I are making a little coupon book for her kids (who are 10 and 12, but it could be modified for younger kids too) with one major outing with us each season. Winter- we need to decide what to do lol. Spring- canoeing. Summer- waterpark. Fall- day in the French Quarter.

Not sure what she's doing for DS, but whatever it is, it won't be more STUFF. We talked before Christmas about how we both don't want any more stuff. 
  • Options
    Also, at our music school we sell a lot of gift certificates for Kindermusik classes to grandparents and aunts and uncles. Might look into that kind of thing. 
  • Options
    This year my SIL and I are giving each other's kids "the gift of time". DH and I are making a little coupon book for her kids (who are 10 and 12, but it could be modified for younger kids too) with one major outing with us each season. Winter- we need to decide what to do lol. Spring- canoeing. Summer- waterpark. Fall- day in the French Quarter.

Not sure what she's doing for DS, but whatever it is, it won't be more STUFF. We talked before Christmas about how we both don't want any more stuff. 
    What about ice skating/skiing for winter? Don't know if you have a ski hill anywhere near you but there is always ice skating in winter. Then a trip to a coffee shop for hot chocolate. MMM
    We live in New Orleans, lol. Not much skiing. ;) Or ice skating for that matter!
  • Options

What about ice skating/skiing for winter? Don't know if you have a ski hill anywhere near you but there is always ice skating in winter. Then a trip to a coffee shop for hot chocolate. MMM
    We live in New Orleans, lol. Not much skiing. ;) Or ice skating for that matter!
    Boo! Not even an indoor rink? I guess I take my wisconsin winters for granted. 
    Yeah, none that I know of! It would probably cost an arm and a leg for them to keep it frozen lol.
  • Options

=))

Yeah, um, me and ice skating do not get along. I have tried twice and simply cannot get into forward motion. On rollerblades and roller skates I'm fine. Don't know what the deal is with ice skates. When they're a little older maybe I'll wish for ski lesson gift certificates for them - DH loves to ski and I don't, so that'll buy me a little free time, too! win-win ;)

Our town does have Kindermusik classes (ironically, since it's in Germany they probably call it something like "Young Music" - no joke. The Germans love naming things in English to make them sound more sophisticated). Maybe I'll look into those and what times they are and then wish for money for that.

• Options
    Boo! Not even an indoor rink? I guess I take my wisconsin winters for granted. 
    Yeah, none that I know of! It would probably cost an arm and a leg for them to keep it frozen lol.
    Good point... We have the Pettit National Ice Center here, which is where all the Olympic athletes train. Plus a million other little rinks. I love your gift idea of seasonal coupons though. Are the kids girls or boys?
    10YO boy and 12YO girl
  • Options
    kelly321 said:

=))

Yeah, um, me and ice skating do not get along. I have tried twice and simply cannot get into forward motion. On rollerblades and roller skates I'm fine. Don't know what the deal is with ice skates. When they're a little older maybe I'll wish for ski lesson gift certificates for them - DH loves to ski and I don't, so that'll buy me a little free time, too! win-win ;)

Our town does have Kindermusik classes (ironically, since it's in Germany they probably call it something like "Young Music" - no joke. The Germans love naming things in English to make them sound more sophisticated). Maybe I'll look into those and what times they are and then wish for money for that.
    Yay! Kindermusik is awesome and so fun!!!!
  • Options
    @musicalmama5
    Ok, they call it the "Rasselbande" (rattle band), so I guess they did stick with German ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"