November 2013 Moms
Options

I think I may have PPD.

I am 6w post-partum.

For the past 2 weeks I have been very quick to anger with our 4.5yo and short tempered with DH - no matter how much he tries to help, its not good enough. Even though DD is sleeping longer, I wake up tired and grumpy. I don't want to harm myself or others, but pre-DD I was never short with my family unless it was PMS.

I am very quick to cry over silly stuff, and serious stuff too. I panic (my throat closes up) when I get overwhelmed now. I find myself insecure talking with friends, and my appetite is endless, I am consuming well over 2,000 calories a day in junk foods or I don't want to eat at all.

Aside from limited help from DH since he works 50+ hours a week, I don't have much help (even though my family is in town). My mom who lives 10min away (who also was very supportive & helpful with our first child) sadl has now disappeared since DD came home from the hospital. She also doesn't believe PPD is real - and "I need to go to church" instead of seeking medical help; even though as a young mom herself, she had such severe PPD that she needed a nurse to help her. I don't want help (with a nurse), but I need understanding that I may/may not need medical intervention, and support.

I am visiting with my doctor on the 3rd, so I plan on bringing it up with her. I had untreated PPD with DS for the first 6mo of his life, and so I am hyper-vigilent of my emotional state now. DH and I discussed last night how I plan to speak with my OB, and he said he was happy that I plan on speaking with her, and he would help whenever needed, when he can.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I think I may have PPD.

• Options
    Huge, huge hugs to you. I completely feel you, I'm having nearly the exact same issues/feelings (snappy with H/older DD, extreme fatigue, over eating, high anxiety, crying constantly, and just generally feeling disengaged with people). :( I have my 6 week appointment today and plan on talking with my doctor. I hope speaking with your doctor next week helps, I'll be thinking of you!!
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom is similar in the mental isn't medical area. My therapist likens depression to poor eyesight. If you couldn't see clearly, would church give you 20/20 vision? God made doctors for that. I suppose church could help if you were referred to a good optimologist! During my years of pg loss, my mom told me I just needed to really want a child and believe - uh, how does that fix my uterine anomaly? I think the surgeon was more helpful that way. Wishing you wellness and joy again!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad that you were able to reach out to your doctor for help. Sending creepy internet hugs your way.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• Options
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this but you are not alone. I felt very much lime you do. I was very short and almost mean with DS. I started Zoloft last week after talking to my OB. I can already tell a difference in my patience. Its not a quick fix, but its starting to work. Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hugs to all the ladies in this thread dealing with PPD/PPA. I've not started Zoloft but have been doing group therapy.

It's a terrible feeling. I'm glad your husband sounds warm and supportive. Please do talk to your OB. You and your family shouldn't suffer any longer than you already have.
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies for the words of support!

The bizarre thing is that, one day could be great, like today - today is a good day. I could have several days in a row like this, and then one day it will hit me like a ton of bricks. Or vice versa, several really sucky days, and then a great day. Its like PMS, but you don't know what day or how it will hit ya.

Oh, the good days are wonderful...like its as though I've never had a rough time, which can be quite confusing. Either way, I still think it should be brought up at my 6w mark.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I definetly have ppd, and at 6 weeks I'm just now admitting I have it. It took a good friend to point some stuff out. I'm making an appointment on Monday with PCP, getting counseling and still waiting on 6 week appointment with midwife. Thank God for good friends and family support!
  • Options
    Yikes, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I'm surprised with your history they didn't want you on meds immediately after birth of #2. Thank god you realize you need some help and that is where to start. Perhaps you can ask your mom directly for some help. Sometimes I come off so competent that people forget I need help, maybe it's the same for you? Good luck and hang in there.

• Options

Thank you so much ladies for the words of support!

The bizarre thing is that, one day could be great, like today - today is a good day. I could have several days in a row like this, and then one day it will hit me like a ton of bricks. Or vice versa, several really sucky days, and then a great day. Its like PMS, but you don't know what day or how it will hit ya.

Oh, the good days are wonderful...like its as though I've never had a rough time, which can be quite confusing. Either way, I still think it should be brought up at my 6w mark.

You and I are having very similar experiences. I was having the here today gone tomorrow issues too. My doc said that is very common and a big reason why ppd goes untreated. Most women feel if they are having good days it isn't depression, but PPD is different and hormonally driven.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"