Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Car seat meltdowns

Why does DS scream in every car ride???

Re: Car seat meltdowns

• Options
    Are his straps too tight on his shoulders? Is he too hot, too cold? Is he too big for his seat? Hungry? Dirty diaper?

It's hard to know.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Are his straps too tight on his shoulders? Is he too hot, too cold? Is he too big for his seat? Hungry? Dirty diaper?

It's hard to know.
    I even msged a car seat tech and she said it's just what babies do. Ugh. I don't know how to fix it. The only thing that calms him down is playing a certain song over and over and over
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have a convertible? Switching from a bucket made a huge difference for us
  • Options

Do you have a convertible? Switching from a bucket made a huge difference for us

Yes I have the britax marathon

• Options
    How about one of those car seat mirrors? We have one that I got for us to see LO, but turns out it was more for her- she can she herself and us and just smiles away.

Sometimes you just gotta do what works. I've been known to sing Wheels on the Bus all the way to the store b/c it was the only way to keep her calm. So if he's got a favorite song, and that works, I'd never go anywhere without it!
  • Options
    Sometimes my LO screams his head off in a car seat and sometimes he is perfectly fine. I guess it all depends on his mood. But in general he is not a fan of car rides. I've noticed that if he is overtired/overstimulated the car ride is a nightmare.
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Options
    The mirror and toys strapped to the car seat strap helped me a lot.  My LO was just getting bored in car rides! 
  • Options
    The mirror and toys strapped to the car seat strap helped me a lot.  My LO was just getting bored in car rides! 
    Same here! My LO was also bored I think. He also doesn't do well in the car near naptime...

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

It really depends on YOUR child and what works for YOU. You need to just try different things to see what makes him happy. It's really nothing to call a car seat tech over. Lots of kids go through phases where they hate the car seat. I give DS his little toy cell phone or a book and that seems to keep him happy.

I didn't "call" anyone. There is a local car tech Facebook page where ppl send in all kinds of questions. Perhaps it was common with this seat, who knows. I just wanted to cover my bases

• Options

I keep a stash of soft toys on the front passenger seat.  When she fusses I toss one back (she's centre back, rear facing).  She plays with it for a bit then usually starts fussing again, I throw something new back at her. 

When really fussy she needs to hear my voice, I sing.  Usually I am to exhausted to think of a song so I sing "This is the song that never ends" for 15-20min sometimes...the song truly, never ends. It works.  It was embarrassing when our AC broke in the summer and I had to sing it with the windows down...but, it works.

• Options
    I agree with keeping a stockpile of toys up front that you can pass back. We also have a rattley dangly toy on his car seat bar and when he gets upset I can reach back and shake it. Sometimes he is just inconsolable though. Coming home last night from my in laws he cried for 45 minutes straight and NOTHING would calm him down. We pulled over and I took him out of his seat to nurse and comfort him, but as soon as I put him back in the seat, he screamed again. We almost had to just stop and get a hotel room ughhh!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    He has toys, it doesn't calm him down. I've decided that on the way home from places that I'll just sit in the back with him
  • Options
    My LO hates being in the car, strapped down. As soon as the buckle comes on he's mad. Screams most the time. I'm on car seat #2. Same story. It just takes time.
  • Options
    So glad we're not the only ones suffering from this problem.  Daytime she is fine, but night time is a different story.  Cries THE. WHOLE. RIDE. HOME.  (every time)!  I don't have any advice, just sympathy.  :) 
  • Options
    I just ignore it.  I have 3 of them back there now.  Unless it's that really awful cry, you know the one, the one that means I'm hurt or about to puke or something.  If it's that bad I'll pull over and see what's up.  Otherwise I ignore and they learn pretty quickly that while the car sucks they might as well entertain themselves.

That was pretty hard with my first though.  It stressed me out.  That's what I ended up doing though and it worked.

I once rode with a girlfriend when we both just had one kid each.  Holy intense.  She entertained the kid, or desperately tried to, the entire drive back from the hike we'd been on.  Crazy! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"